Community

Dear Annie: Don’t give up

Dear Annie: My son and daughter-in-law have been married for about three years. She used to be a very nice girl when dating my son. When they told me they were getting married, it was just so that she could be put on my son’s health insurance because she couldn’t work anymore. I was still ...

NMU to host virtual transfer week

MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University Admissions will host a virtual transfer week from Oct. 12–17. The week includes activities planned specifically for NMU transfer students. “We find that transfer students tend to have different questions than a junior or senior in high ...

MRHC Nordic skiing presentation

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Regional History Center presents: Nordic Skiing Presentation on the MRHC lawn at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 14. Sten Fjeldheim, Olympic trainer and championship winning head coach of Nordic skiing teams at Northern Michigan University for 34 years, will talk about his career ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I love my wife. We’ve been married for 11 years, but recently, she hasn’t been taking my side with anything involving our 14-year-old son. She tells me that I am overreacting or being stubborn. OK, I know I can be stubborn, but I firmly believe a child should show respect to his ...

Local impact

LANSING — The threat of losing your driver’s license for offenses unrelated to dangerous driving would be eliminated under bills pushed by advocates for low-income Michigan residents. Three out of four Michiganders with suspended driving licenses continue to drive anyway, said Simon ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My aunt “Amy” has been using Facebook and Instagram to post political memes, status updates and articles that reflect a viewpoint very different from my own. The posts are negative and sometimes contain offensive language, and they are upsetting to me. Most end with something ...