Community

Finds old box of letters up in the attic

Dear Annie: I’m a happily married almost-70-year-old woman who has been sorting and purging the contents of boxes in my attic in preparation for downsizing. I was surprised to find one shoe box stuffed full of letters that an old high school boyfriend, “Dave,” wrote to me during his first ...

‘Green Book’ screening set

MARQUETTE — Bring lunch and get together with other movie lovers to watch “Green Book” at 12:30 p.m. April 2 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the library. Closed captioning will be on to ensure access for all. This film is based on the true ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Beekeeping workshop planned EWEN — Michigan State University Extension is once again teaming up with Les McBean, of White Birch Apiary of Bruce Crossing, LLC , to offer a Backyard Beekeeping Workshop. This year’s workshop will be held on Saturday 30 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST at the ...

That old box of letters

Dear Annie: I’m a happily married almost-70-year-old woman who has been sorting and purging the contents of boxes in my attic in preparation for downsizing. I was surprised to find one shoe box stuffed full of letters that an old high school boyfriend, “Dave,” wrote to me during his first ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: As long as I can remember, my parents have controlled the majority of my actions. They’ve told me which classes to take, which subjects to pursue, which extracurriculars to participate in, which colleges to apply to. Over the years, when I’ve tried to speak up, they’ve shut me ...

Blood drives announced

MARQUETTE — UP Health System-Marquette’s Regional Blood Center has announced upcoming blood drives throughout the Upper Peninsula (all times local). ≤ Today, LSSU’s Crow’s Nest, Sault Ste. Marie from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. For an appointment call Andrea Olson at 906-635-7483. ≤ ...

NAMI to meet in Marquette

MARQUETTE — The National Alliance on Mental Illness-Alger/Marquette offers free, confidential peer support groups and educational meetings for individuals living with mental illness, and friends or families living with an individual with mental illness. A support group will gather at 7 ...

Bulletin Board This Week

‘Learning to Walk Together’ pow wow MARQUETTE — The Native American Student Association at Northern Michigan University will present the“Learning to Walk Together” traditional pow wow. The event will be held on Saturday in the Marquette National Guard Armory. General admission ...

Bulletin Board

Flat Broke Blues Band to perform MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library and the Marquette Area Blues Society invite music lovers to a concert with the Flat Broke Blues Band at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the PWPL Community Room on the lower level of the library. Flat Broke Blues Band takes ...

The calendar

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

Young couple can’t find time for a ‘date night’

Q: With two young children in the house, my husband and I can barely remember “life before kids.” I mean, I wouldn’t trade our little ones for anything, but sometimes it’s hard to find even two minutes for a meaningful adult conversation, much less an actual date night. How does a ...

What breed won’t make me sneeze?

Dear Heloise: My kids are asking for a dog, but they both have ALLERGIES. What would be a good breed for them? — Karen S., Fort Wayne, Ind. Karen, allergy-prone kids need a hypoallergenic (less likely to cause an allergic reaction) breed. What causes the allergies? Dander and shedding, ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Due Diligence Q: If I’m drawn to a young and growing company, what should I look into before investing in it? — T.S., Bradenton, Florida A: First, make sure the company has competitive advantages. These might include a strong brand, a solid reputation, valuable patents or ...

Questions about scratchy voice irritate journalist

DEAR ABBY: Several years ago, I was diagnosed with a rare illness called Wegener’s granulomatosis. Because of the way this illness has affected me, I have a hoarse, raspy voice and probably will the rest of my life. The problem is, I get asked all the time by almost everybody I speak with, ...

The loss of a child

Dear Readers: I received a great deal of helpful feedback for “Heartbroken on Valentine’s Day.” Thank you to everyone who wrote in. Dear Annie: I also had a son who died on Valentine’s Day. His name was Robert, and he was 11 1/2 years old when he passed away 28 years ago. He will ...

Dr. Roach explains the measles vaccines

DEAR DR. ROACH: In a recent column on the measles vaccine, you wrote: “Older people may lose immunity, and some people born between 1963 and 1967 may have received an inactive vaccine.” Wait, what?! How do we know if we were not properly vaccinated, and what should we do about it? — ...

Bulletin Board

Pet Partners’ handler class May 11 MARQUETTE — April 26 is the deadline to sign up for the SuperiorLand Pet Partners’ next handler class. The class will be May 11 in Marquette. The handler class is the first step in a process of training, testing and registering handler/animal ...