Community

French songs at heritage center

MARQUETTE — In celebration of French-Canadian Heritage Week in Michigan, the Beaumier U.P. Heritage Center at Northern Michigan University will present notable French songs from the voyageur period as part of the Beaumier Heritage Concert Series. Beaumier Center Director Dan Truckey and ...

Movie to be cast in local area

MARQUETTE — Local filmmakers are looking for two local child actors to be in a movie, “Subnivean,” which will be shot in three days in Marquette in December. The criteria are: age 7-12, male and any height, eye color, hair color or race. Little to no experience is required. To apply ...

Remove all cemetery decorations

NEGAUNEE — Northland Chapel Gardens has announced all cemetery decorations must be removed by Oct. 1.

The calendar 9/25/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board 9/25/18

Maritime museum annual meeting MARQUETTE — Marquette Maritime Museum’s annual membership meeting is from 6-8 p.m. Thursday at the museum, 300 N. Lakeshore Blvd. All members are invited to this annual business meeting. Renew membership or become a new member and help preserve the ...

Bulletin Board 9/24/18

Banned Books Week coming up MARQUETTE — From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, the Peter White Public Library will have a tent set up in the AV room on the main level of the library to promote awareness of Banned Books Week. Learn about the history of banned books week and browse books that have ...

Trying to be in grandkids’ lives

Dear Annie: I am an outlaw! That is to say, I am the stepmother and stepgrandmother to my husband’s children and grandchildren. I’ve been in this position for more than 15 years. For a long time, I was expected by my husband to say nothing even remotely negative about one of his ...

The calendar 9/24/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Hospice event deadline Thursday MARQUETTE — The Northern Center for Lifelong Learning will present a panel discussion titled “Under the Care of Hospice” from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 3, at the Mill Creek Senior Living Community Center. The deadline for registering is Thursday, ...

Bulletin Board part 2

NAMI meets on Monday MARQUETTE — The National Alliance on Mental Illness-Alger/Marquette offers free, confidential support groups and educational meetings for individuals living with mental illness, and friends or families living with an individual with mental illness. An educational ...

Is procrastination the right answer

Dear Annie: This is a burning question I’ve had for a while. As a student, I always have homework, but should I procrastinate or spread out the work over a longer period? Both end up with similar results for me. Procrastinating gives me more time to do the other things I want, and I end up ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Unusual vertigo can be triggered by coughing or loud noises

DEAR DR. ROACH: After many years of various treatments, including allergy shots, food studies and an ear tube, I was recently diagnosed with “semicircular canal dehiscence.” Can you explain what this is and the treatment (besides surgery) to relieve the symptoms of inner ear pressure, ...

Staying active and connected are key to a healthy retirement

Q: I’m about to retire after a challenging but satisfying business career. I’m concerned about keeping my mind sharp now that I won’t be dealing with complex details every day. Any suggestions? Jim: As we grow older, keeping our brains healthy becomes an important part of enjoying a ...

Hints to make a ‘clean’ meatloaf

Dear Heloise: I have a pretty good hint: When you MAKE MEATLOAF, the cleanup is a pain in the you-know-where. I spray the pan with any kind of cooking spray, then line it with foil. When you take the meatloaf out of the pan, there is very little cleanup. — Linda W., Bakersfield, ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Splits, Sales and Taxes Q: A stock I own split 3-for-1. How do I figure my taxable gain when I sell the shares? — L.L., Syracuse, New York A: Imagine that you bought 100 shares for $24 (initial cost: $2,400) and they were trading at $30 before the split, for a total value ...

School’s homecoming rules put teen in awkward position

DEAR ABBY: Homecoming is next month, and we are not allowed to take outside dates. My girlfriend goes to a different school and doesn’t want me taking anyone else. My school is very small (only 60 kids in the whole high school) and not asking a girl to the dance is frowned upon. It’s the ...

The calendar

New at Peter White Public Library

“Stegothesaurus” by Bridget Heos This delightful picture book is perfect for dinosaur and word lovers! Stegothesaurus is a little different from his two stegosaurus brothers in that he knows a lot of words and loves using them to describe everything he sees! With great illustrations, lots ...