Community

Tasty Reads set to meet March 13

MARQUETTE — Tasty Reads, a book group for readers who like to cook, will focus on “Life in a Northern Town: Cooking, Eating, and Other Adventures along Lake Superior” by Mary Dougherty at noon March 13 in the Peter White Public Library’s Shiras Room. Having moved from St. Paul, ...

Birds, too, anxiously await spring weather

“Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.” - Victor Hugo Sure, seems like there is a change coming with longer and longer days and some relatively temperate days in the 40’s. Add Daylight Savings Time next weekend and it will definitely feel like the season is about to ...

Superiorland Voices

If you could play any instrument you don’t already play, what would it be and why?

Bulletin Board

Friends of library meet Thursday ISHPEMING — The Friends of the Ishpeming Public Library will hold their first meeting of 2018 on Thursday. Meetings are open to all who are interested in supporting the library and its programs. They are held monthly from March through June and from ...

Tired of waiting for thank-you notes

Dear Annie: When did it become OK to not send thank-you notes for wedding and shower gifts? A close relative got married in September, and I have yet to get a reply for the wedding gift or shower gift. In fact, in the past several years, I have given five wedding gifts with no response by the ...

New at Peter White Public Library

The Peter White Public Library’s book club — Sci-Fi on Tap — meets the third Wednesday of every month at 7 p.m. in the Ore Dock Brewing Co.’s tap room. On March 21, we will discuss Octavia Butler’s time travel novel “Kindred”; on April 18, Kim Stanley Robinson’s global warming ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Lent a time of self reflection, assessment

“In those days, God delivered all these commandments: “I, the Lord, am your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. You shall not have other gods besides me. You shall not carve idols for yourselves in the shape of anything in the sky above or on the earth ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 9:30am Worship Child care available. The ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie/Time to take the keys?

Dear Annie: It makes me so sad to watch my family grow old. My grandfather has been in denial about his aging process, and now it’s creeping up on him from behind. Growing up, I was always impressed by how youthful he was; well into his 70s, he was playing tennis every day, running, going on ...

Computer classes offered in March

MARQUETTE — PWPL Reference Staff will offer four computer classes at the Peter White Public Library at 3 p.m. Mondays in March. “Download E-books & Audio Books“on March 5 and again on March 19 will demonstrate how to use the new Libby app (formerly OverDrive) to connect to the ...

Rotary meetings shift to Ramada

MARQUETTE — Beginning Monday, the Rotary Club of Marquette will begin meeting at the Ramada Inn for a couple of months while the Holiday Inn is undergoing remodeling. The meeting is at noon.

The calendar

Dear Annie/Best friend at one point

Dear Annie: My father was diagnosed with cancer a year ago. I told a close childhood friend. She responded, “I don’t know if I can deal with that.” Then she didn’t speak to me for six months. This was hurtful — as I had recently spent many weekends traveling (I live out of town) and ...

Maritime History on Tap March 6

MARQUETTE — Join the Marquette Maritime Museum at 7 p.m. March 6 for Maritime History on Tap at the Ore Dock Brewing Company. Fred Stonehouse will present “Forgotten Heroes: The U.S. Life-Saving Service on the Great Lakes.” From 1874 until 1915 when it became the U.S. Coast Guard, ...

YMCA Couch to 5K program set

MARQUETTE — Probably the biggest challenge a new runner faces is not knowing how or where to start. Often when trying to get into exercise, a person can overdo it, feel defeated and give up when just getting started. The YMCA’s Couch to 5K program help get people started in the right ...

Maritime Museum seeks volunteers

MARQUETTE — Marquette Maritime Museum is looking for volunteers for the 2018 season (May through October) to give lighthouse tours and museum tours. Call 906-226-2006 or email mqtmaritimemanager@ gmail.com for more information.

The calendar

Dear Annie/Married but alone

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been married for almost 30 years. Sometimes I think I don’t know him at all. He hardly calls or texts me when at work, but he would call his siblings at any time of the day. He doesn’t answer my calls or respond to my texts messages, either. He is often ...