Community

The Calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Mom having problem detecting odors

Dear Annie: My mother is in her 80s, and I love her very much. At her age, she has earned certain privileges. And I understand we all have our little quirks that might annoy others. The problem is my mom doesn’t wear clean clothes. It started out that she would wear a certain outfit a ...

Climate workshop Monday

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Area Climate Health Adaptation workshop will be from 4 to 6 p.m. March 26 at the Citizens Forum at Lakeview Arena. TMichigan State University Extension and School of Planning Design and Construction are collaborating with the Michigan Climate and Health Adaptation ...

Fundraiser, music at VFW

NEGAUNEE — VFW 3165 Auxiliary of Negaunee will be having a Spaghetti Dinner fundraiser from 4:30-7 p.m. Saturday. The menu will be spaghetti with homemade meat sauce, garlic bread, tossed salad, ice cream and coffee. The price is $8 while small children age 5 and under eat free. The ...

Legion plans Friday fish fry

MARQUETTE — American Legion Post 44, 700 W. Bluff St., Marquette will have fish fry from 5-7 p.m. Friday. On the menu are whitefish, shrimp or chicken strips and choice of baked potato or french fries. All meals include cole slaw and/or salad. This meal is open to the public.

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Genealogical society to meet

MARQUETTE — The Marquette County Genealogical Society will meet at 6:45 p.m. Wednesday in the Shiras Room of the Peter White Public Library. A discussion of naming patterns will follow the meeting. The public is welcome.

Lectures on HIV vaccines planned

MARQUETTE — Brandeis University Professor Isaac Krauss will present two distinct lectures on designing carbohydrate HIV vaccines at Northern Michigan University. The lectures are free and open to the public. The first lecture, titled “Designing Carbohydrate HIV Vaccines Using Molecular ...

Dear Annie: Poisoning morale

Dear Annie: I am trying to handle a delicate situation at the office. A man I work with has very poor hygiene and is an all-around slob. The guy has no respect for anyone, including himself. He often comes to work without combing his hair, and many times he smells as though he hasn’t showered ...

Vinyl record show on Wednesday

MARQUETTE — A five-day vinyl record show begins 5 p.m. Wednesday and continues until 11 p.m. Sunday at the Ore Dock Brewing Company at 114 W. Spring St. in downtown Marquette. This event will take place in the second floor community room and is presented by the Northern Michigan University ...

The calendar

‘Labyrinth of Lies’ to be screened

MARQUETTE — CineArts Films, a series devoted to foreign and independent films, presents the 2014 film “Labyrinth of Lies” at 6 p.m. Friday in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room. This is a BYO dinner event. In Germany, 13 years after World War II, Johann Radmann, a ...

Soprano Kukulis to perform

MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University’s music department will present soprano Hayley Kukulis of Marquette in her senior recital at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Reynolds Recital Hall. There is no cost to attend the performance. Kukulis will perform a variety of music ranging from the baroque ...

Dear Annie: Shot or not

Dear Annie: My wife is pregnant with our first child. She’s due in a few weeks and recently asked me to get a vaccine for whooping cough (Tdap). I got the vaccine. However, now she is talking about everyone who will be around the baby getting the vaccine, including my parents. I can just ...

Bulletin Board

‘The Mountain Between Us’ screened MARQUETTE — At 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, the Peter White Public Library will show the 2017 film “The Mountain Between Us” in the library’s community room as part of its Matinee Movie series. Bring a lunch and enjoy the movie in a dinner theater ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

‘Men in Black’ screening Thursday MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library Invites film fans to a free screening of the 1997 modern classic “Men in Black” at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the library’s community room. Agent K of the private agency Men in Black, is looking for a new ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Another kind of addiction

Dear Annie: As hard as it is for me to talk about this, my problem is that I suffer from addiction. I envy alcoholics, drug addicts and smokers because they have access to medications to help them stop. But that is not the case for me. I have a sexual addiction and have struggled with ...

The calendar