Community

Bulletin Board

Rock and mineral club to meet ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming Rock and Mineral Club will be meeting at 1:30 p.m. Sunday at the Cliff Shaft Mine Museum, 501 W. Euclid St., Ishpeming. Doors will open at 1 p.m. to allow members and visitors time to bid on silent auction specimens and to view the ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: How to help a worried friend

Dear Annie: I have a friend who is going through a tough time, and I am wondering how I can help her. She was a single mother who raised two daughters and a son on her own. I am still amazed at how she provided a safe and loving home for her children all by herself. Her daughters are married ...

Bulletin Board

Magic show at mall planned MARQUETTE — The Cameron Zvara Magic Show will be presented at the Peter White Public Library Children’s Branch, Westwood Mall, old MC Sports store, from 5:30-6:15 p.m. May 24. Join in for an evening of fun, laughter and magic with Cameron Zvara. His show is ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: Fertility woes cited

Dear Annie: My husband and I have had some difficulty getting pregnant. I am 32 and feel the clock ticking as each day without my having a fertility doctor passes. This entire process is completely embarrassing. I am ashamed I even have to go through this. I feel as though I am less of a ...

Bulletin Board

Museum seeks vehicles NEGAUNEE — The Michigan Iron Industry Museum is looking to add to its display for the 29th Annual Antique Automobile Exhibit set for June 17. All vehicles must be in original or restored to original condition and be of 1900-1969 vintage. In addition to cars, light ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: Um, excuse me

Dear Annie: I’m a woman in my mid-20s. About a month ago, I started seeing “Vern.” He was my first date through an online dating site, so I was nervous and then pleasantly surprised when he turned out to be charming, sincere, witty and just as good-looking in person. We share a lot of the ...

Bulletin Board

Genealogical society to meet MARQUETTE — The Marquette County Genealogical Society will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Northern Michigan University Archives on the first floor of the LRC Building at Northern Michigan University. After a brief meeting, Marcus Robyns will provide ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: Not a pro bono baby sitter

Dear Annie: I’m a college sophomore. Recently, I baby-sat for a friend of a friend who is a few years older and lives in town with her husband and two kids. One was an infant, and the other was a toddler. It was a relatively easy baby-sitting gig; the little one mostly just slept, and the ...

Bulletin Board

Free gardening series on tap MARQUETTE — A free gardening series continues at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Marquette Missionary Church at 1804 Wright St., Marquette. The final session of the “Growing Your Food in the U.P.” gardening series will introduce the “Seeds Filling Needs” ...

Bulletin Board

An evening with Kekla Magoon MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites patrons to an evening with Kekla Magoon, co-author of “X: A Novel” at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the library’s Shiras Room. Kekla Magoon holds a B.A. from Northwestern University and an M.F.A. in writing from ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Concert to be held Wednesday MARQUETTE — Listen to “Singin’ All the Good Old Songs Again” including a Gordon Lightfoot Tribute with Jackie and Gary in this Weeknight Concert at the Peter White Public Library at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Huron Mountain Gallery on the main level. Jackie ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Praise God for our many gifts, large and small

This is a good time of the year for an experiment. Drive out into the woods on a clear, moonless night. When you are well beyond the light shadow of your hometown, choose a place to lay on your back and gaze into the darkness above you. Linger 10 or 15 minutes at least, long enough for the ...

The calendar

Legal program for businesses set

MARQUETTE — River Valley is hosting an Essential Employment Law for Small Business breakfast workshop at the Ramada Inn located at 412 W. Washington St., Marquette, on Tuesday. All business owners and managers are invited to attend this free workshop to learn valuable information that could ...