Community

Bulletin Board

Countertop demonstration offered MARQUETTE — The Northern Center for Lifelong Learning will present a program on how natural stone countertops are cut and finished at Stone Reflections, followed by a Dutch treat lunch at Jackson’s Pit. The event is scheduled from 10:45 a.m.-3:30 p.m. ...

When generosity turns into resentment

Dear Annie: I like doing kind things for people. It makes me feel good. I believe my kind acts should be appreciated but not be expected. Is that wrong? Most of the time, what starts off as a kind act ends up with expectations of more. Sometimes these expectations can be difficult to manage and ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin board

Audubon Society to meet MARQUETTE — On March 13, the Laughing Whitefish Audubon Society will present a program called “Wildlife Spectacular of Tanzania, East Africa” by Jeff Towner. The presentation will take place at 7 p.m. in the Community Room of Peter White Public Library. Jeff ...

Personality shifts after husband retires

Dear Annie: Recently, my father-in-law retired. This has made my mother-in-law a different, not-so-kind person. She has always confided in me her worries about many different subjects, and I have always been honest but considerate of her very touchy emotions. However, since my ...

Bulletin Board

Concert planned for March 12 MARQUETTE — Enjoy the jazzy tones of vocalist Kirsten Gustafson as she, Dave Ziegner on guitar, Harry South on bass, and Patrick Booth on sax welcome the upcoming spring season in this weeknight concert at the Peter White Public Library at 7 p.m. March 12 in the ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Dance at Rock Community Center ROCK — A dance will take place at the Rock Community-Senior Center, 3892 W. Mapleridge Road, from 1-5 p.m. March 10. Music will be provided by Angels and Outlaws. Admission is $5 per person and there will be free-will donation lunch available. For more ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

The calendar

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I pride myself on being an empathetic person. I’m known in my friend group and family as a person who “has it together” and is a comforting shoulder to lean on. I am also someone people can turn to at work to get things done and remain positive and professional. However, ...

Meditation mini-retreat Sunday

MARQUETTE — Meditate Marquette is hosting a full day silent meditation mini-retreat from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. It will be held at Northern Lights Martial Arts Studio at 1310 S. Front St., Marquette, in the back on the south side of the Women’s Center Building. The retreat will ...

Stamp A Project class Wednesday

ISHPEMING — Ishpeming-Negaunee-NICE Community Schools will have a Stamp A Project class at Ishpeming High School from 6-8:30 p.m. Wednesday. Join in for an evening creating a 3-D project. Participants will use paper, stamps, ink, die cuts, and embellishments to create a unique project. No ...

‘Lunch at The Lights’ to be held

MARQUETTE —The Northern Center for Lifelong Learning will present “Lunch at The Lights,” a meal at Northern Michigan University’s renovated dining hall. NMU Dining staff will give an update on changes and discuss the Food Recovery Network. The registration deadline is Tuesday. The ...

Rick Aho to offer presentation

MARQUETTE — Rick Aho, engineer, scientist and member of the Interstate Technology and Regulatory Council, will present “Water: The Local Flavor and What You Can Do to Protect It.” Aho will answer questions about water and water protection on the national and Upper Peninsula level. This ...

Bulletin Board

‘Running Wild’ screened March 11 MARQUETTE — DocuMonday presents a screening of the 2013 documentary “Running Wild: The Life of Dayton O. Hyde” at 7 p.m. March 11 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the library. Directed by Suzanne Mitchell ...

The calendar

New at Peter White Public Library

Miglore, Kristen. “Food52 genius desserts: 100 recipes that will change the way you bake.” 2018. 641.86 Mi – New Nonfiction. Food52’s creative director Miglore delivers a solid collection of proven, must-have recipes for an array of desserts. The recipes are sourced from such expert ...