Community

Superiorland Yesterdays

EDITOR’S NOTE: Superiorland Yesterdays is prepared by the reference staff at the Peter White Public Library in Marquette. 30 years ago MARQUETTE — Dennis Hruska ignored cold, rainy conditions at the Marquette Golf and Country Club Tuesday afternoon to capture medalist honors for Marquette ...

City to hold public forum May 6

MARQUETTE — The Marquette City Commission will be conducting a public forum on May 6 to discuss and review questions regarding the changes in state law regarding recreational marijuana sales as a part of the process of developing a city ordinance. The forum is scheduled to begin at 5:15 ...

Street closures planned for event

MARQUETTE — The YMCA of Marquette County will be sponsoring its 19th annual YMCA Run/Walk on Saturday at 8:30 a.m. Events will include a 10-mile and 10k run, a 5k run/walk, a 1-mile youth run, and a toddler trot. Beginning at 8 a.m., Pine Street will be closed from Fair Avenue to ...

Morning bird songs are heartbeat of spring

As long as I live, I’ll hear waterfalls and birds and winds sing. I’ll interpret the rocks, learn the language of flood, storm, and the avalanche. I’ll acquaint myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as near the heart of the world as I can.” - John Muir This spring the ...

Bulletin Board

Children’s coalition conference set MARQUETTE — The Upper Peninsula Children’s Coalition will host its annual conference, “Take Action,” from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 3 at Northern Michigan University’s Jacobetti Complex. Regional speakers will present sessions that help ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dreading wife’s reaction

Dear Annie: I am in my 70s, have been married for 42 years and have three grown children. I found out two years ago that I had a child with a woman I had dated 10 years before I met my wife. Her daughter tracked me down and contacted me. She said that he had been put up for adoption, but she ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

CTE skills challenge coming up MARQUETTE — Students from across the Upper Peninsula will gather at Northern Michigan University’s Jacobetti Complex on Friday when NMU hosts five student competitions in celebration of career and technical education during the Upper Peninsula CTE Skills ...

Dear Annie: Concerns about cross-country trek

Dear Annie: Every summer for the last 15 years, my mother has insisted on driving 1,500 miles to spend 10 days with me. We have had some really fun visits, but now she is 88 years old and just had heart surgery. She frequently falls despite using a walker. Additionally, she drives with my ...

The calendar

Bulletin board

‘Melody on Ice 2019’ presented MARQUETTE — The Marquette Figure Skating Club presents “Melody on Ice 2019: Around the World!” This is a family event that features local skaters, the Northern Michigan University figure skating team, and this year, a guest skater, Danil ...

Dear Annie: True relationships go the distance

Dear Annie: I’m in a really bittersweet situation. I hit it off with a friend who happens to live quite far away. The time we’ve spent hanging out has been awesome, and I’m beyond thankful to have them in my life. But I’m frustrated by the distance. I’m not scared we’ll drift apart, ...

The calendar

Gossip leads to nothing good

Dear Annie: My co-worker, “Jane,” is the front-desk person and has a bird’s-eye view to everything. For the past several years she has noticed that it appears that my supervisor is having an affair with another co-worker. I, too, have noticed what appear to be signs of an affair. Although ...

Bulletin Board

UPLC relocating in Marquette MARQUETTE — The Upper Peninsula Land Conservancy is moving from 2208 U.S. 41 South in Harvey to a new location in the upper level of the Brogan & Yonkers Law office building at 148 W. Hewitt Ave. Its contact information, uplc@uplandconservancy.org and ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Film to be screened at library MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites film fans to watch “Can You Ever Forgive Me?” at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the library’s Community Room on the lower level. Bring dinner to enjoy this holiday movie in a dinner theater setting with other ...