Community

Poor B12 absorption may be pernicious anemia

DEAR DR. ROACH: My stepdad is 84 years old and having problems with B12 deficiency. He is taking B12 shots, 1,000 mcg once a week, in addition to taking a 5000 mcg B12 vitamin daily. The numbers come back below 200. None of our doctors can figure it out. Any advice on to what is causing this? ...

Please donate to animal shelters

Dear Readers: It’s spring, and that means it’s puppy and kitten season. The animal shelters are bursting with new babies. They need donations, pronto! If you want to help, here are some items that are very much needed and recommended by The Humane Society. Food-related items: training ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I am concerned about several of my six siblings. We were brought up very strictly, and we experienced shame if we missed church or sinned. We’re all adults with kids of our own now. Over the years, several siblings and their spouses have become obsessively religious. It’s their ...

Malindzak scholarship apps accepted

MARQUETTE — Francine Malindzak Memorial Scholarship Fund applications are now being accepted. Qualifying Marquette Mountain Racing Team racers are invited to apply for the $1,500 Francine Malindzak Scholarship. Applicants must be graduating from high school, have been an active member ...

What’s flying: Watching spring inch its way into the U.P.

“I glanced out the window at the signs of spring. The sky was almost blue, the trees were almost budding, the sun was almost bright.” — Millard Kaufman Spring in the Upper Peninsula is in so many ways as it usually is, edging forward ever so uncertainly, then sliding back a few ...