Community

Kitty cat has many considerations

Dear Annie: I am hoping you can help me sort this out. I am an avid animal lover, and I have had animals all my life. I am now on the brink of turning 65 and have no pets. I am in very good health. Also, I am on the autism spectrum (high functioning). Despite 30 years of counseling, I have no ...

Bulletin Board

Under the Radar set to perform MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library and the Marquette Area Blues Society invite music lovers to a concert with Under the Radar at 7 p.m. April 30, part of the monthly Bluesday Tuesday series. The concert will be held in the Library’s Community Room ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Alger County Chamber dinner event MUNISING — Tickets are now available for this year’s annual Alger County Chamber of Commerce dinner. The award for Business of the Year is going to Peoples State Bank, an organization that has been in business over 100 years. The date is April 30 at ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

Spring Fling birding fest around the corner

“We who officially value freedom of speech above life itself seem to have nothing to talk about but the weather.” - Barbara Ehrenreich Last week’s winter storm had everyone talking in the Midwest, as snow, rain, freezing rain and ice delivered new complications. Traveling, roosting and ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: Siblings are split on mother’s health care

Dear Annie: My three siblings and I are in a terrible situation right now over our 88-year-old mother. When she first moved into her seniors residence almost a year ago, one of the papers that we were asked to fill out was a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) form. We didn’t think it was a good time to ...

Storm Spotters presentation held

MARQUETTE — Do you know how to spot a storm coming? At 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Matt Zika, Warning Coordinator Meteorologist for the National Weather Service, will give a presentation entitled Storm Spotters in the Peter White Public Library’s Shiras Room on the upper level of the library. ...

Spring Bazaar seeks vendors

MARQUETTE — Women Caring and Sharing/Altar Society of St. Peter Cathedral will be holding its annual Spring Bazaar and Luncheon from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 4 in the Church Hall, 311 W. Baraga Ave. This year the event will be featuring Maggie Linn prints along with: Jewelry, White Elephant, ...

MSO announces schedule

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Symphony Orchestra has announced its 2019-2020 season schedule: ≤Saturday, Sept.14 at 7:30 p.m. ≤ Saturday, Oct. 26 at 7:30 p.m. ≤ Saturday, Dec. 14 at 7:30 p.m. — Sounds of the Holidays ≤ Saturday, Feb. 22 at 3 p.m. — Family Pops Concert ≤ ...

Bulletin Board

Smolens hold ‘Out’ book release MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites patrons to award-winning author John Smolens release of his new book “Out,” the sequel to “Cold,” at 7 p.m. Monday in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room. Beginning where ...

The calendar

New at Peter White Public Library

Looking for a great book to read while you’re waiting for that last bit of snow to melt? Come to the Peter White Public Library and check out our selection of new books about the history and culture of the Upper Peninsula! “Sundstrom’s Store 1909” by Ruth W. Smith is a series of ...

Bulletin Board

Writing workshop set for NPL NEGAUNEE — Local talent Troy Graham will be at the Negaunee Public Library on Monday. He will hold a creative writing workshop at 5 p.m., and a family-friendly musical performance with harmonica player Colton Ort at 6 p.m. The public is invited to attend ...

The calendar

sEDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to ...

Dear Annie: Shark on hunt

Dear Annie: My husband has a friend, “Ralph,” who is half his age and was recently married. Ralph’s wife, “Katherine,” is always texting my husband, and not me, to make plans to go out to eat. I have asked my husband several times to text Ralph back instead of his wife, but he has ...

Bulletin Board 4/17/19

Little Lake Legion fish fry Friday LITTLE LAKE — American Legion Post 349 in Little Lake will have a fish fry from 4-7 p.m. Friday. It will be the last fish fry until fall. The choices on the menu are walleye, whitefish (baked or fried), perch, cod (baked or fried), 21-piece shrimp, fantail ...

Differing perspectives on college admissions scandal

Dear Annie: My best friend and I agree on almost everything, but something has come up that has caused us to argue, and we decided to turn to you for advice. We both have children who are in their first year of high school, and when they graduate they want to go to college. Our argument has ...

Retired federal employees to meet next week

MARQUETTE — Members of the National Active and Retired Federal Employees Chapter 1900 will hear a presentation by Marquette Senior Services Manager Maureen Sullivan at their next regular meeting at 1:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 24. Sullivan will speak about programs and opportunities ...