Community

Families should visit loved ones with dementia during holidays

Q: My mother now has dementia and is living in a local care facility. This will be the first Christmas when Grandma isn’t part of our family celebration. I’m concerned about how to handle this with our kids; do you have any suggestions? Jim: A few years ago, I went with my two sons to ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Curbs and Breakers Q. Please explain “trading curbs.” — H.S., New Orleans A. Trading curbs (also known as “circuit breakers” or “collars”) are rules that restrict trading in the stock market in times of extreme volatility. When triggered, they can suspend ...

Is your pet gifted?

Dear Readers: Do you buy your furry family members GIFTS for Christmas and the holiday season? According to the American Pet Products Association (www.americanpetproducts.org), billions of dollars will be spent this year by pet parents giving their pets a Christmas present! And the gifts ...

Getting through the holidays with a sweet tooth

Dear Annie: I have an addictive personality, and this time of year is really tough for me. Starting with Halloween, I can’t stop eating sweets. Usually, the residual candy lasts for weeks, and even if I remove it from my house, it’s all over the office or clients’ offices. Then, moving ...

Aspirin therapy’s usefulness depends on individual risks

DEAR DR. ROACH: Like many men, I have been taking 81-mg aspirin for decades. I recently saw a report indicating that not only is it not helpful, but that it actually can increase the risk of internal bleeding and the likelihood of death from cancer. What is your advice on the wisdom of ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

Old flame brings problems

Dear Annie: I have been a widow for almost 10 years. I’m financially secure, socially active and attractive. My old high school sweetheart contacted me a few years after I lost my husband. After months of phone contact, he came to visit. I had asked whether he was married. He said no, that ...

Tasty Reads set to meet Jan. 8

MARQUETTE — Tasty Reads, a book group for readers who like to cook, will focus on “Comfort Food Diaries” by Emily Nunn at its noon Jan. 8 meeting in the Peter White Public Library’s Shiras Room on the upper level. Reeling from her brother’s suicide, Nunn first turns to alcohol to ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

The Peter White Public Library offers these recently published nonfiction books. “No Way But This: In Search of Paul Robeson” by Jeff Sparrow Paul Robeson was a large figure in the Harlem Renaissance of the early 20th century, and a celebrated actor, but his story has become more obscure ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: A couple with whom I have a very close relationship have recently become friends with their new neighbors. These neighbors are retired from successful careers, have been U.S. residents for at least 50 years and are financially comfortable. I am grateful to be included in invitations ...

‘Jane’ screening to be held Jan. 7

MARQUETTE — DocuMonday presents a screening of the 2017 biographical documentary “Jane” at 7 p.m. Jan. 7 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the Library. Using never-before-seen footage, director Brett Morgen takes a look at Jane Goodall’s ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Meditation class to meet Thursdays MARQUETTE — The public is invited to join Jeremy Morelock for a weekly meditation class emphasizing mindfulness, loving-kindness and compassion. The class meets Thursdays in January at 5:30 p.m. in the Shiras Room at the Peter White Public Library. There ...

Hey man, slow down, will ya?

Dear Annie: I hope you will publish this, as the holiday season is upon us and people will be rushing to the mall and the grocery to shop for Christmas gifts and supplies for festivities. Please take some extra time and slow down — and not just on the road. The store parking lot is not the ...

The gift of the Magi

One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and the butcher until one’s cheeks burned with the silent imputation of parsimony that such close dealing implied. Three ...

The Calendar

Bulletin Board

Tree Line designations available LANSING — Time is running short for Michigan communities, college campuses and utilities seeking Tree City, Tree Campus or Tree Line USA designation. These annual programs are sponsored by the Arbor Day Foundation and administered by forestry agencies in ...

He’s a time hawk

Dear Annie: I don’t want to continue to let two of my friends steal my time. One friend is the worst when it comes to this. She calls me at least twice a week. I believe that her husband does everything in the house — cooking, shopping and all the driving — because she has plenty of time ...