Community

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My husband has gained about 15 pounds in as many months. “Robb” has been a naturally thin person all his life, or at least in the 10 years I’ve known him. I know he realizes he’s gained weight, because he’s mentioned how his clothes aren’t fitting well anymore, and ...

‘Tarzan’ for kids planned at NMU

MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University’s Forest Roberts Theatre will present a modified performance of the musical “Tarzan” geared toward children and adults who are on the autism spectrum or have sensory issues. The goal is to preserve the entertainment value of the show so ...

Bulletin Board

Spring Genealogy Lock-In event MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library announces the Spring Genealogy Lock-In on at 6:30 p.m. April 20 in the Shiras Room. Those interested in researching family history and who have attended a beginning or intermediate genealogy workshop are welcome to ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Munising DDA announces exhibit MUNISING — This spring, the Munising Downtown Development Authority is introducing a rotating seasonal art exhibit in the Munising downtown alley between Elm and Maple streets and between M-28 and Superior Street. For the first year, the Munising DDA would ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Superiorland voices

What was the biggest adrenaline rush you’ve ever experienced?

Start of a very exciting season

“Spring: the music of open windows.” -Terri Guillemets While the temperatures are not cooperating very well with open windows yet, the birds are. The morning air in Marquette, can now be filled with songs and calls of at least a half dozen species. On the east side of town, the mornings ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Roadblock to life’s next phase

Dear Annie: I’m feeling stuck. Recently, my boyfriend of two years and I have been looking at new places to move into together. It’s been an exciting time, and I keep daydreaming of our future — marriage, kids, nesting, chore charts, the whole thing. However, a wrench has been thrown into ...

Sessions on meditation at PWPL

MARQUETTE — Power of Purity Meditation will continue with two March sessions: Mondays, April 9 and April 30, in the Peter White Public Library’s Shiras Room from noon to 1 p.m. Led by Kim Lindquist, these sessions are based on Mohanji’s teachings. Designed to cleanse the mind, they ...

‘Inconvenient’ sequel to be shown

MARQUETTE — DocuMonday presents a screening of the 2017 documentary An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power on Monday, April 9 at 7 p.m. in the Peter White Public Library Community Room as part of its Building Love: Imagine series of events. A decade after “An Inconvenient Truth,” Al ...

Dance at Rock center planned

ROCK — A dance will be held at the Rock Community-Senior Center from 1-5 p.m. April 8. Music will be provided by Ron Jay & The Country Strangers. Admission is $5 per person and a free-will donation lunch will be available. All proceeds benefit the Rock Senior Corporation. The center ...

Spring Extravaganza on tap

CHAMPION — The second annual Spring Extravaganza is planned from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 7 at the Champion Township Fire Hall. More than 14 local vendors and crafters will be in attendance. There will be a bake sale and a hot dog fundraiser. Admission is free and all are welcome.

Beekeeping workshop in Ewen

MARQUETTE — Michigan State University Extension is once again teaming up with Les McBean, of White Birch Apiary of Bruce Crossing, LLC , to offer a Backyard Beekeeping Workshop. This year’s workshop will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 7 at the Ewen-Trout Creek High School, ...

NMU to stage children’s opera

MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University’s music department will host “Little Red Walking Hood,” an opera experience for elementary-aged children. The free performance will be held at 10 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in Reynolds Recital Hall. In the production, Little Red walks, then ...

Bulletin Board

Vegan potluck dinner to be held MARQUETTE — The public is invited to join Northern Vegans for a vegan potluck dinner at 6 p.m. April 9 in the Shiras Room on the second floor of the Peter White Public Library at 217 N. Front St. in Marquette. Bring a vegan dish (no meat, dairy, or honey) to ...

Dumped by friend

Dear Annie: I hope you can help me with a friendship problem I am having. A group of six or seven of us get together for birthdays and other events. We also do things individually. One in our group, whom I interact with regularly, and I were attending an event where I mentioned we would stay ...

The calendar

New at Peter White Public Library

The sixth round of the Great Michigan Read, a biennial statewide literary program of the Michigan Humanities Council, has taken off at Peter White Public Library. The 2017/18 GMR title is X: A Novel by Ilyasah Shabazz and Kekla Magoon. We have 10 books available for checking out (or placing ...