Community

Church to put on free meal

GWINN — A free homemade community meal is available from 5:30-6:15 p.m. Feb. 19 at First Baptist Church of Gwinn. The church is located at 195 N. Billings St. and the phone number is 906-346-6115. Everyone is welcome and is encouraged to bring a friend.

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I am writing in regard to “Concerned Mom,” whose daughter suffers from dumping syndrome. I am a retired pediatric nurse, and many years ago I took care of a small child with dumping syndrome. The way he was fed was by continuous gavage (tube feeding). This avoided his stomach ...

Isle Royale study to be discussed

MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites those interested in both nature and the arts to the Isle Royale Winter Study at 7 tonight in the library’s community room on the lower level. In this multi-media presentation, Terri Bocklund, Kathleen Heideman Rydholm, and Curt Kowalski ...

NAMI to offer education course

MARQUETTE — Family members and friends of individuals with a mental illness may greatly benefit from a 12-week “Family to Family” education course to be offered by National Alliance on Mental Illness Alger/Marquette. The 12-week series of classes is free and confidential. Classes will ...

Book club meeting today

MARQUETTE — Tasty Reads, a book group for readers who like to cook, will focus on “Picnic in Provence: A Memoir with Recipes” by Elizabeth Bard at its meeting at noon today in the Peter White Public Library’s Shiras Room on the upper level. Having published her first book, “Lunch in ...