Community

Dad insists boy stop seeing mom’s ex following divorce

DEAR ABBY: My ex-husband raised my son as his own from the time he was an infant. Now my son’s biological father is saying he wants our son to stay away from my ex-husband. However, my ex-husband and my son have a very strong bond. I believe the bond is even stronger than what he has with his ...

Don’t force your kids into activities only you care about

Q: My wife and I are trying to help our kids explore their natural talents in sports, music and other areas. But each time we try something new, the kids seem to hate it. I’m running out of ideas. What’s the trick? Jim: You might start by asking yourself: “Who’s more interested in ...

So, my dog likes to eat my grass

Dear Heloise: My dog is EATING THE GRASS outside. What does that mean? — John W. in Pennsylvania John, if we think that dogs eat grass because their tummy is upset and they need to vomit, we’ve got another “think” coming. Eating grass MAY cause the dog to throw up due to the blades ...

The Motley Fool

ASK THE FOOL Risky Business Q: How can one learn about what risks a company faces? — H.C., Columbus, Mississippi A: Companies don’t like to broadcast their risks and challenges, but publicly traded American companies are required by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to ...

Bulletin Board

Poets to offer readings at NMU MARQUETTE — Poets Francine J. Harris and Marcus Wicker will visit Northern Michigan University to read from their works and give a joint presentation at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Jamrich Hall 1322. The event is hosted by the NMU Visiting Writers Program and ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Socializing a skittish dog

Dear Annie: My new rescue dog is rather skittish. I think it’s because he went through some awful things in his early life. From what I hear, he lived in disgusting conditions and in tight cages, getting shipped around from place to place. In my experience with him, this translates to his ...

Bulletin Board

Local caregivers getting together MARQUETTE — Lake Superior Life Care and Hospice offers Caregiver Community, an Informal group for caregivers to come together and share their experiences and ideas, meeting monthly. There will be a different topic every month to discus and learn about. The ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

When good hygiene goes by the wayside

Dear Annie: I am a member of a small Midwestern church and in the choir. There are about 10 of us, and we all have a good time together. The problem is the organist and choir director, who has held these positions for nearly 50 years. As she is getting older, she is neglecting to either shower ...

Finches, waxwings and more in area

“Music comes from an icicle as it melts, to live again as spring water.” — Henry Williamson Why not think about spring. It is a week into March, right? There are plenty of icicles. In fact, it seems unbelievable the icicles were dripping this week on the south sides of big things, ...

The calendar

Woman looking for affordable skin care

Dear Annie: I’m in my 20s, and I just recently had a facial for the first time. I’ll admit I was skeptical about its potential benefits, but my skin has never felt smoother! I’d love to go back for regular monthly treatments, but facials are quite expensive, and I can’t afford to get ...

Bulletin Board

Dear Annie: I’m in my 20s, and I just recently had a facial for the first time. I’ll admit I was skeptical about its potential benefits, but my skin has never felt smoother! I’d love to go back for regular monthly treatments, but facials are quite expensive, and I can’t afford to get ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Student artists to be celebrated CURTIS — The Erickson Center for the Arts, Curtis, is having a reception to celebrate local student artists from 6:30-8 p.m. March 14. Attendees may view the fifth annual Student Art Show exhibit and support these talented young artists. Parents are ...

More on tipping and on drinking and driving

Dear Annie: I saw the advice about tipping a hairdresser and the shampoo person. Thank you! What if your hairdresser also owns the salon? Does one tip the owner/stylist the same amount, 20 percent? — Salon-goer in North Carolina Dear Salon-goer: After the column about what to tip ...

Bulletin Board

Countertop demonstration offered MARQUETTE — The Northern Center for Lifelong Learning will present a program on how natural stone countertops are cut and finished at Stone Reflections, followed by a Dutch treat lunch at Jackson’s Pit. The event is scheduled from 10:45 a.m.-3:30 p.m. ...

When generosity turns into resentment

Dear Annie: I like doing kind things for people. It makes me feel good. I believe my kind acts should be appreciated but not be expected. Is that wrong? Most of the time, what starts off as a kind act ends up with expectations of more. Sometimes these expectations can be difficult to manage and ...