Community

Break the gift limit

Dear Annie: With the upcoming gift season, I have a question regarding dollar limits set by clubs. Say an amount is set at $10. Does that mean the gift value or the dollar amount spent on the gift? Recently, I had a coupon for candles that were “buy one, get one free.” This allowed me to ...

Bulletin Board

For Your Health presentation held MARQUETTE — At noon Wednesday, therapist Penny Tussing will give a talk on Cancer Rehabilitation, this month’s For Your Health presentation in the Peter White Public Library’s Shiras Room. For those with cancer and who are in recovery, therapy can help ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Comfort, don’t criticize, when kids have a bad game

Q: My two kids enjoy sports and are pretty good athletes. But if they do have a bad game, I’m never sure what to say to encourage them afterward. I just don’t seem to have the right words or advice in the moment. Do you have any insights? Jim: This is one of the real challenges of raising ...

Anxious dogs

Dear Readers: Having a dog can help us relieve stress, but what if DOGS DEVELOP ANXIETY themselves? It’s possible. Thunder, the vacuum cleaner, not enough exercise, being home alone all day, holiday visitors — all are triggers. Symptoms? Chewing, heavy breathing, walking quickly back and ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Beef Up Your Insurance Q. What’s umbrella insurance? — F.W., Mansfield, Ohio A. It exists to keep you from getting soaked financially. It offers coverage exceeding the limits of the policies covering your house or apartment, car and more. Umbrella policies can pay for any ...

Bulletin Board

Pop-up art sale to be held Thursday MARQUETTE — The Marquette Artist Collective strives to support artists and the arts in the community. Joy Bender Hadley was inspired around the time of the August 2017 solar eclipse to start the artist collective. Since then this dynamic group of visual ...

Diamond ring comes between couple planning their marriage

DEAR ABBY: My girlfriend and I love each other very much and have been living together with our children for five years. We intend to get married soon. Here is the rub: She’s “old school.” She believes she should receive a diamond ring as part of the marriage proposal. I would marry ...

Son’s house is disgusting

Dear Annie: My son and his wife hardly ever really clean their house. The bathroom on the main level gets cleaned once in a while — when friends are coming over — but the ones upstairs are disgusting. When I have stayed there, I’ve cleaned the bathroom I use because I can’t stand it. ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

‘Won’t You Be My Neighbor’ screened

MARQUETTE — DocuMonday presents a screening of the 2018 documentary “Won’t You Be My Neighbor” directed by Morgan Neville at 7 p.m. Monday in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the library. Neville’s biographical documentary takes a look at the ...

Snubbed by nephew

Dear Annie: Yesterday my husband and I spent three hours on the road, traveling from our home to our nephew’s college football game. We told my sister we planned to attend his game and gave up tickets to a Division I game in our hometown. I called my sister on the way there to ask whether she ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

The holiday season is almost upon us and the Peter White Public Library can help you plan the most memorable meal for your guests! Browse the library’s extensive collection of cookbooks for inspiration for the creative cook and to amaze the lucky diners. Here are some of our newest ...

Annual candy sale to kick off

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Beautification and Restoration Committee is kicking off its annual See’s Candy Sale. All proceeds from this fundraiser go toward the support of Petunia Pandemonium on Front Street in the spring. Contact any committee member to place an order. Information also ...

The calendar

BLP offices will close for Vets Day

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Board of Light and Power Office will be closed on Monday in observance of Veterans Day. For emergencies, call 228-0300.

PWPL collecting food for Canathon

MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library is partnering with the TV6 Canathon to help feed hungry neighbors by serving as a collection point for food items to help stock our local food pantries from Monday through Dec. 5. As an added incentive to donate, the library will be offering Food ...

Dance to take place in Rock

ROCK — A dance will take place at the Rock Community-Senior Center, 3892 W. Mapleridge Road, from 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Music will be provided by Ron Jay and The Country Strangers. Admission is $5 per person and there is freewill donation lunch. For more information, call Alice at 356-6588. All ...

Vets Day observance planned

NEGAUNEE —At 11 a.m. Sunday, VFW Post 3165, along with the Greenwood American Legion, will hold services in front of Negaunee City Hall in observance of Veterans Day. The public is encouraged to attend. VFW 3165 auxiliary will serve food and refreshments following the services at Post 3165. ...