Community

Registration for stamping class open

NEGAUNEE — Ishpeming-Negaunee-NICE Community Schools is taking registrations for its upcoming stamping class called Technique Tuesday. This class is scheduled to meet on Feb. 11 at Ishpeming High School from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to join other paper crafters and card makers to ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My heart went out to the couple in today’s paper — the letter from the woman in her late 20s who is having problems with infertility. Back in the ‘70s, a time when infertility was not talked about like now, my partner and I also had an infertility problem. The options were ...

LWV to meet at PWPL

MARQUETTE — The monthly meeting of the League of Women Voters of Marquette County will be from 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesday. The LWV is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy ...

Plant chemistry session planned

MARQUETTE — Medicinal Plant Chemistry Seminar Michael Elias, CEO of Michigan Pure Med, presents as part of the ongoing Medicinal Plant Chemistry seminar series, hosted by the Northern Michigan University Chemistry Department. This session will be from 5-6 p.m. Wednesday in NMU’s Jamrich ...

Grace Lutheran community meal

GWINN — Grace Lutheran Church in Gwinn will be serving its free monthly community meal from 5:30-6:15 p.m. Wednesday. Everyone is invited to this Table of Grace at which shepherd’s pie will be served. The handicapped accessible church is located at 558 W. M-35 in Gwinn. Takeouts will ...

Support awareness for vets set

MARQUETTE — Thomas Theatre Group announces its partnership with Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center to bring support awareness for veterans. Starting now and running throughout the winter, every Thomas Theatre soft drink cup will be labeled with a Veterans Crisis hotline label. Thomas ...

Talk on immigrants at church

MARQUETTE — Mary Flynn, program director of Refugee and Immigrant Services at Lutheran Social Services-Milwaukee, will lead a conversation on her work welcoming and resettling immigrants and refugees to the United States at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. The program will be in the Messiah Lutheran ...

Meditation class this month

MARQUETTE — All are invited to join Jeremy Morelock for a weekly Meditation Class emphasizing mindfulness, loving-kindness and compassion. The class meets at 5:30 p.m. Thursdays in February in the Heritage Room at the Peter White Public Library. There is no admission charge to ...

Bulletin Board

Jack Deo to offer presentation MARQUETTE — Marquette Maritime Museum’s winter lecture series, Maritime History on Tap, features Jack Deo’s “Whatever Floats Your Boat” at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Ore Dock Brewing Company. From birch bark canoes to giant freighters, Jack Deo presents ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Hurtful words after father’s recent death

Dear Annie: My stepson said many nasty, derogatory, hurtful things about his recently deceased father. My husband was well-respected by his peers and friends. Yes, he had his faults, but I loved him dearly, and he was a very good man. I wrote my stepson, let’s call him “Dan,” and told ...

Siblings come home for a visit, but not with the family

DEAR ABBY: I have a problem I haven’t seen in your column before. My husband comes from a large family with siblings spread far and wide. We live in the home state and are happy to accommodate his brothers and sisters (families, dogs) when they come home to visit and ask to stay with us. ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Each year the Michigan Notable Book list is released, featuring “works of fiction and non-fiction published during the previous calendar year that are about, or set in Michigan; or are written by a Michigan author.” There are 20 books on the 2020 list; six of which are reviewed ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

Wounds really need to be healed

Q: I have been through some very difficult experiences in life. For the most part, I’ve been able to set them aside and move on, but sometimes I still struggle with my emotions. Do you have any advice for getting past the hurt? Jim: Life can be tough, and it inflicts wounds in us all. The ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Valuation Shortcuts Q: I may never get around to mastering all the math needed to figure out if a company is over- or undervalued. Are there any shortcuts? — G.H., online A: First, understand that while there are lots of calculations that might lead you to be confident of a ...

BRAT diet, liquids can help

DEAR DR. ROACH: Other than the traditional “BRAT” diet for occasional bouts of diarrhea, is there any OTC medication that you feel works the fastest/most effectively? — A.J. ANSWER: Nearly everyone has occasional bouts of diarrhea. Most of the time, these are self-limiting and don’t ...

Distilled for dogs

Dear Heloise: I am responding to a suggestion in the paper (The Villages Daily Sun) about wiping the TEAR STAINS FROM A DOG’S EYES. I have a better suggestion. I learned this from a friend who has a small white dog. As do many white dogs, hers had tear stains much of the time. My friend ...

Danger of over communicating hard to see

The ability to communicate is one of God’s greatest gifts, enabling us to express the deep feelings of our hearts through words and songs. When we’re hurting, emotionally or physically, we can describe our pain to another person who may have just the right words to encourage us. When ...