Community

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’m a 30-year-old male in my first year of marriage to a charming, beautiful woman, “Sonny.” I am madly in love with this woman, and she says the same to me. This is a second marriage for both of us. Unfortunately, I’m finding out that she has lied to me about a number of ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Lifeguard certification available MARQUETTE — The YMCA of Marquette County is offering lifeguarding certification Sept. 3-9. This American Red Cross Deep Water certification will not only give the participant the opportunity for employment at the YMCA but also gives the participant the ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’m often frustrated when people say that family always comes first. By “family,” they mean the people you’re related to by blood. My mother was a toxic presence in my life from age 11 to 22. I recently took a big step by asking her not to contact me anymore, instead letting ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

Be sure to watch dogs for heatstroke

Dear Readers: It’s the end of August, and the heat is on! HEATSTROKE can develop in a dog when its body temperature reaches over 104 degrees, and it can permanently damage body organs. Can you recognize the signs of heatstroke in your dog? Here are some: * frantic panting * a bright-red ...

Family member is often critical

Q: I have a not-so-distant relative who is an extremely difficult person to be around. “Chris” can spot a flaw from across the room and never wastes an opportunity to criticize. I know I shouldn’t care what “Chris” thinks, but I do. What can I change in this situation? Jim: Dealing ...

Minister’s efforts to comfort sister bring anger, alienation

DEAR ABBY: I have been a minister for 40 years. Throughout most of these years, I have tried to be supportive to my sister. Her oldest child, “Nahla,” has been “difficult” since she was 15. My niece cuts herself, uses drugs and has been in prison and in rehab. I have listened patiently ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool 401(k)s vs. 403(b)s Q: What’s the difference between a 401(k) plan and a 403(b) plan? — B.H., Port Charlotte, Florida A: Both are tax-advantaged retirement plans, with 401(k)s targeting private-sector workers and 403(b)s primarily for employees of tax-exempt employers, ...

Still healing from traumas of addiction

Dear Annie: After more than 40 years addicted to meth, and being an alcoholic, I have been clean and sober for two years now and I am nothing like the old me. My now grown children are speaking to me after four long heartbreaking silent years. Unfortunately, my goal to reconcile my ...

Will prostate-shrinking meds affect low-grade prostate cancer?

DEAR DR. ROACH: I’ve had low-grade prostate cancer for several years and am presently on “active surveillance.” My PSAs have been high but steady, running around 7.8 to 9.2. I have a greatly enlarged prostate, which I believe contributes to the high PSA numbers. I would like your ...

The calendar

New at Peter White Public Library

If you are a history buff and running out of inspiration on what to read next, visit the website: “This Month in History” at http://www.historyplace.com for some timely inspiration. Chances are the Peter White Public Library has a book or two to read more about that certain point in time. ...

Hogging the piggy bank

Dear Annie: I have a 40-year-old son who seems to think I am his personal piggy bank. He did a short time in prison. We have supported him through that and all of the other bad times he has experienced in his life. However, he only contacts us when he needs money. After years of helping him, ...

Bulletin Board

‘Oklahoma!’ at Calumet Theatre CALUMET — The Calumet Players celebrate 40 years of performing live theater with the fall production of “Oklahoma!,” a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. It was the pair’s first musical. It’s a love story set in a time of feuding between farmers and ...

Superiorland Voices

If you could pick any animal to be a pet, what would it be?

What’s flying: How will cooler weather affect bird watching?

“August was nearly over - the month of apples and falling stars, ... The days were not hot, but sunny and limpidly clear - the first sign of advancing autumn.” — Victor Nekrasov Comments have been flying around for more than a week now in the Upper Peninsula about the feel of Autumn. The ...

Curtis to mark Labor Day

CURTIS — The 11th annual Curtis Labor Day 3-Bridge Walk will take place between 8 a.m. and noon Sept. 2. According to a release from the Three Lakes Area Fireworks Council, the walk will begin on Main Street between the Tally Ho and the Ship Wreck Inn and will offer a choice of walking ...

PWPL to screen ‘At Eternity’s Gate’

MARQUETTE — Bring a lunch and get together with other movie lovers to watch “At Eternity’s Gate” at 12:30 p.m. Sept. 3 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the library. Closed captioning will be on to ensure access for all. Dutch painter Vincent ...