Community

Dear Annie: Bring your information to the pharmacy

Dear Annie: I often go to a large pharmacy to pick up prescriptions. They see hundreds of customers daily, so there is no way the several pharmacists would recognize me. Since I wear a mask and must speak through the plastic shield between us, sometimes they cannot understand me when I say my ...

World’s sole Vitrolite installer works in WV’s Statehouse

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Vitrolite, a form of pigmented structural glass made only in West Virginia, had a sensational run while it lasted. Its production began in 1908 in Vienna, Wood County, in a factory operated by the Meyercord-Carter Co. Six years later, the company reorganized as the ...

Educators to host webinar series

MARQUETTE — Michigan State University Extension is a resource for food safety training. Food Safety Educators will be hosting a live online webinar focusing on Pantry Food Safety — It’s Your Job. This is a two-part series. Part One of the series will cover the following topics why ...

Webinar held on Medicare basics

MARQUETTE — Turning 65? New to Medicare? Join U.P. Health Plan online for a free webinar at 10 a.m. Aug. 19 to learn more about Medicare basics and your options. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. Register at ...

Musical Interludes event Aug. 17

MARQUETTE — At 7 p.m. Aug. 17, the Peter White Public Library will host its last Musical Interludes — LIVE! on the library’s Front Street steps. The guests for this informal interview/performance are two members of the All Strings Considered, old-time stringband, Phil and Annette Watts. ...

One Voice to perform in L’Anse

L’ANSE — Singing hits of the 40s, 50s 60s and beyond, the women’s vocal group One Voice brings the fun to the free L’Anse Lakefront Concerts at 7 p.m. Aug 13. The lakefront park is at the foot of Broad Street at the lake. Bring a chair or blanket and enjoy their music, the good vibes, ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Though I love nonfiction, when I really want to escape into a book I choose sci-fi. Suffice to say I’ve been reading much more science fiction these days! Explore new worlds, connect with relatable characters, and contemplate our place in the universe with these titles, available digitally ...

What’s Flying: Time to enjoy the fresh air here

“Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.”  —  Walt Whitman Eat, sleep, observe and absorb, there are so many parts of the fresh air experience. For most, it is a walk or a hike, or maybe just a saunter ...

Dear Annie: Feeling alone during isolation period

Dear Annie: I feel some days I just can’t handle our society and the cruelty of men and women toward other humans or defenseless animals. My life has been full of neglect, disrespect, abuse (mental and physical) and loneliness, so I’m accustomed to it. However, when I hear a story about ...

COVID-19 feud divides family

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been following the recommendations for protecting ourselves and others from COVID-19 in recent months. Although we’ve missed seeing our kids and our grandchildren, we’ve stuck to our guns on this, even as others around us have begun to take a more relaxed ...

Food truck in Ishpeming

ISHPEMING — The Feeding America Mobile Food Truck will be distributing food at the North Iron Church parking lot from about 9:30-10:30 a.m. Thursday. This will be a drive-through only. Enter at the west entrance and exit at the east onto Malton Road to allow the distribution to go ...

Meditation offered online

MARQUETTE — The public is invited to join Jeremy Morelock for a weekly, online meditation class emphasizing mindfulness, loving-kindness and compassion. The class meets from 5:30-7 p.m. Thursdays. For a mobile device, first download the free Zoom app. Sign up at the bottom and click ...

Day camp offered

MARQUETTE — The seventh annual annual day camp collaboration between the Marquette Regional History Center and Liberty Children’s Art Project will be held this summer. It is offering two-day sessions from 10 a.m. to noon on Aug. 17-18 and Aug. 20-21 at the Marquette Regional History ...

Bean Bag Toss date set

ISHPEMING — Ishpeming VFW Post 4573 has set the date for the Bean Bag Toss Tournament. It will be on Aug. 22 in the VFW parking lot. There will be more information to come for those planning to participate.

MooseWood offers pottery class

MARQUETTE — MooseWood Nature Center will host a pottery-throwing workshop from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Air-dry clay will be provided, so participants may take home their creations. Pottery also will be available to purchase, with all proceeds benefiting MooseWood. All ages are ...

No Sunday service at church

MARQUETTE —Sunday Services at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church of Marquette will be suspended Aug. 9, according to a press release.

Quincy Mine Host Swap slated

HANCOCK — The Quincy Mine Hoist Swap is an all-day event set for 10 a.m. until dark Aug. 12. The event will feature metals, minerals, jewelry and mining items. Food and drink vendors will be on site. The Quincy Mine Hoist is located along U.S. 41 in Hancock. For more information or to ...

Free concert in L’Anse Thursday

L’ANSE — A free L’Anse Lakefront Concert featuring the classic variety music of Lightning Ridge, shown below, will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, according to an announcement from organizers. The lakefront park is at the foot of Broad Street at the lake. Attendees are encouraged to bring ...

Dear Annie: Working through emotional affair

Dear Annie: I have been with my husband for 23 years now, married for the last eight. A year ago, I found out that my husband had been communicating with an old high school girlfriend without my knowledge. They ran into each other seven years ago and had been talking daily. He used his work ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: What is the protocol when a dear friend repeatedly uses an incorrect word or incorrectly pronounces something when speaking to you? For instance, recently, my friend was speaking of the proper “protocol” for visiting a doctor's office (under these pandemic conditions), but she ...