Community

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My sister started smoking cigarettes when she was 18 and still smokes today at 48. She has quit several times over the years, but then she goes back to smoking again and again. Her husband and children want her to quit, and my older brother goes ballistic on the subject — yelling ...

Baraga chamber building success

L’ANSE — The Baraga Chamber of Commerce is proud to present the seminar: Building Blocks to Success: Marketing, Media & Method that will be from noon to 4 p.m. Sept. 20 at the Baraga Lakeside Inn. Registration is $20 for a Baraga chamber member, $30 for a non-member, lunch is ...

Bulletin Board

‘State of Pride’ screened Sept. 9 MARQUETTE — DocuMonday presents a screening of the 2019 YouTube Originals documentary “State of Pride” at 7 p.m. Sept. 9 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the library. Released on the 50th anniversary of the ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Tasty Reads to meet on Sept. 10 MARQUETTE —Tasty Reads, a book group for readers who like to cook, will focus on “The School of Essential Ingredients” by Erica Bauermeister at noon Sept. 10 in the Peter White Public Library’s Shiras Room on the upper level. Lillian started cooking ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

Bulletin Board

Malaysia presentation held Sept. 19 MARQUETTE — The Northern Center for Lifelong Learning will present “Malaysia by Train, Bus and Boat.” Sandi Poindexter will discuss her solo travels through the country from 7-9 p.m. Sept. 11 in room B101 of the Superior Dome. Last March, Poindexter ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

If you’ve been reading as many books as possible on your summer list, there’s still time to grab a few more from the new juvenile shelf as August comes to a close. “Because of the Rabbit” by Cynthia Lord is a quick, feel-good encouraging read to start the school year. The night ...

Unlearning enabling behavior

Dear Annie: My mother has been a bad drug addict for most of my life. Ive gotten used to taking care of her, but something happened. My sister followed in her footsteps. She moved away and is badly addicted to multiple drugs. My family has tried to get her to come home, but she makes excuses ...

Still plenty to see and do as September begins to roll in

“September: it was the most beautiful of words ... evoking orange-flowers, swallows, and regret. - Alexander Theroux It’s true, September is just around the corner. The evidence to support the idea Summer is winding down is plentiful — the shoulders of the roads, now shrouded in ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

The Fiddle Pickers set to perform L’ANSE — The classic country and cajun music of The Fiddle Pickers comes to the free L’Anse Lakefront Concerts, this one at 7 p.m. Thursday. The lakefront park is at the foot of Broad Street at the lake. Bring a chair or blanket and enjoy their music, ...

Following your gut

Dear Annie: I graduate from college in December (hopefully), and before then I have some important decisions to make about my future. I’ve been thinking about the outcomes for several months already, and the decision has not gotten any easier. I’ve been dating my boyfriend for well over a ...

League of Women Voters to meet

League of Women Voters to meet MARQUETTE — The monthly meeting of the League of Women Voters of Michigan, Marquette County Member-At-Large State Unit, will be at 6 p.m. Wednesday. The LWV is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in ...

The calendar

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My boss considers me a friend. A couple years ago at a work-related dinner, he badgered me about having children of my own. I was in a long-term committed relationship with a woman who refused to have children, something he was aware of from previous uncomfortable conversations. I ...

NAMI education course planned

MARQUETTE — Family members and friends of individuals with a mental illness may greatly benefit from a 12-week “Family to Family” education course to be offered by National Alliance on Mental Illness Alger/Marquette. The 12-week series of classes is free and confidential. Classes will ...

NCLL offers yoga program

MARQUETTE — The Northern Center for Lifelong Learning is partnering with Essentials Massage and Yoga Studio to present a five-session chair yoga program. Sessions will be held from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Tuesdays Sept. 10, 17, 24 and Oct. 1 and 8. The location is 708 Chippewa Square, Suite ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’m about to be a sophomore in college, and I am on summer break. I have not really talked to any of my friends from college since we have all been busy with internships and traveling. It makes me nervous that we will lose the connections we made throughout the school year. I have ...