Community

Cannon family fundraiser set

LITTLE LAKE — A fundraiser event for the Chris Cannon family is planned from 1-4 p.m. Sunday at the Throttle Bar and Grill in Little Lake. Cannon, a lifelong Little Lake resident, died in 2019. The fundraiser will include bucket raffles, 50/50 and food and drink specials. For more ...

Folk duo to play Sunday

LITTLE LAKE — Folk duo February Sky (www.februarysky.com) will present a concert at 3 p.m. Sunday at The Section House Inn Bed and Breakfast, 1824 Ski Hill Road, Little Lake. Call 906-360-3950 or email pattiwings@gmail.com for more information and directions. February Sky features ...

What’s flying

“The February sunshine steeps your boughs and tints the buds and swells the leaves within.” - William C. Bryant Hard to know what will come with the last three weeks of February, but there are sure to be both situations holding true and some surprises. Early in the week, the Lower Harbor ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Climate change lobby to meet

MARQUETTE — All are invited to join the Marquette Chapter of the Citizens’ Climate Lobby for the group’s monthly meeting in the Lions Room of the Peter White Public Library at 12:30 p.m. Saturday. The national CCL group will present a video-conference to the local chapters during these ...

DAR to hold session at Big Boy

MARQUETTE — The Onagomingkway Chapter, DAR, will hold its monthly meeting from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Marquette Big Boy Restaurant, 1950 U.S. 41 West, Marquette. Those attending should plan on ordering a meal. Anyone with questions about genealogy and joining DAR, current members ...

Traditional music jam at PWPL

MARQUETTE — From 2-5 p.m. Saturday, the Peter White Public Library will host a traditional music jam in the Community Room on the lower level of the library. Bring a guitar, banjo, fiddle, bass, ukulele, harmonica, or just your voice, and join other acoustic musicians and vocalists for a ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’m having a difficult time accepting my parents for what I perceive as stinginess. They are retired, upper-middle class (at least), have paid off their nice home and have money to travel. My dad grew up upper-middle class and so did mom. My problem is that they have never been ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

NCLL programs announced

MARQUETTE — Northern Center for Lifelong Learning has three programs in the next month that might be of community interest. To register interested people only have to contact the liaison rather than the NCLL office which is only staffed 8 hours a week. Event 1: What is the Northern ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I play in a ladies senior softball league. One of the women who plays in the league has really awful underarm odor. It is difficult to stand anywhere near her without gagging from the smell. She is a lovely person and a good ball player, but standing inside the dugout with her ...

The calendar

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: Every Sunday, my family and I go over to my mother’s house for dinner. My father passed away a few years ago, and the dinners are a way to help her not feel so lonely. We usually have a lovely time during dinner, and she adores spending time with her grandchildren. The problem is ...

Trout Unlimited meeting at Zephyr

MARQUETTE — The Fred Waara Chapter of Trout Unlimited will hold its monthly board meeting at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Zephyr Wine Bar & Cafe, 215 S. Front St., Marquette. All who are interested in conservation and cold water fisheries are welcome.

UPHP offering Medicare info

MARQUETTE — Upper Peninsula Health Plan is offering free onsite events for those who are turning 65 or new to Medicare and are curious about options. UPHP will offer answers to Medicare questions. Learn more about Medicare plans and coverage plans offered at UPHP. Dates and times of ...

Vets service officer in Marquette

MARQUETTE — American Legion Department Service Officer Gary Easterling will be in Marquette from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday at American Legion Post 44, 700 W. Bluff St. Easterling is the director of Veterans Affairs and Rehabilitation for the Michigan American Legion. According to a release ...

Aqua aerobics sessions to be held

NEGAUNEE — Ishpeming-Negaunee-NICE Community Schools is taking registrations for its upcoming Aqua Aerobics class. This class is scheduled to start Wednesday, Feb. 12 at Ishpeming High School for 11 weeks. Liquid toning with the resistance of water is a great way to exercise. Class size is ...

American sign language planned

NEGAUNEE — Ishpeming-Negaunee-NICE Community Schools is taking registrations for its upcoming American Sign Language class. This class is scheduled to start on Tuesday, Feb. 11 at Negaunee High School for eight weeks. Registration fee is $50. Call Community Schools at 906-475-4173 by Feb. ...

Legion post to hold fish fry

MARQUETTE — American Legion Post 44, 700 W. Bluff St., Marquette, will host a fish fry from 5-7 p.m. Friday. On the menu: whitefish, shrimp, or chicken strips plus choice of baked potato or french fries. All meals include the salad bar. The auxiliary will be holding a bake sale during the ...