Community

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: When I was in my 20s, I thought I was in love with a man who strung me along for his own reasons but obviously didn’t love me. I wasted three years of my life giving him every opportunity I could to love me back. I finally realized intellectually that I needed to break it off, but ...

COVID-19 response

Thrift stores across the Midwest are seeing an influx of donations, which officials attribute to the length of time people have spent at home during the COVID-19 pandemic. In isolation, many people have been sorting through their things and completing household renovations and improvements that ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: Our local gym opened back up recently. Only half the machines are in use, to encourage social distancing, and only half the lockers and bathroom stalls are available. We’re supposed to all wear masks, but of course, sometimes masks come off during exercise when people are ...

Child abuse never ends for this writer

Dear Annie: My father did everything he could to make my life miserable, and to deprive me of anything and everything. He treated my brother and sisters far differently, but even so, everyone in the family knew he was one sick man. My brother committed suicide when he was 21, and after ...

Grant aps for state fund sought

MARQUETTE — Greg Sudderth, chairman of the Grants Committee of the Upper Peninsula Sustainable Forest and Wildlife Fund, a fund of the Community Foundation of the Upper Peninsula, has announced it would be accepting grant applications for the Fall 2020 grants round. Eligible non-profit ...

Farron named to state board

MARQUETTE — Andrew Farron of Marquette, former general manager of Marquette Mountain, has been appointed by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer to the Michigan Ski Area Safety Board. Farron, who holds a bachelor of science degree in engineering from the University of Michigan, was appointed to represent ...

Trail near Copper Harbor closed

COPPER HARBOR — Logging operations on private property along a 15-mile-long section of the state-managed off-road vehicle B Route in Keweenaw County have forced temporary closure of the trail effective immediately. Michigan Department of Natural Resources Parks and Recreation Division trail ...

Master gardener program offered

MARQUETTE — Aug. 27 is the registration deadline for the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Program that will be offered online via Zoom from Sept. 3 to Dec. 10. The course will be offered online from 5:30-10 p.m. Thursdays except for the last class which will be face to ...

Church is temporarily closed

MARQUETTE — St. Paul’s Episcopal Church of Marquette will be closed until Sunday, Aug. 30, according to a press release.

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I have an absolutely wonderful boyfriend who I have been with for nearly two years. The only issue we have is regarding some of my exes. Although I have proven to him that I have no lingering feelings whatsoever, he has a hard time when they come up in anyone’s conversation, or ...

COVID-19 response

JAMESTOWN, N.Y. — The pandemic changed the way people shop for houses, and in some cases, gave owners second thoughts about putting their property on the market. But it didn't do much to slow down buyers. "Buyers were still in the market to purchase homes and were more than willing to ...

Lorenzo Soria, president of Golden Globes group, dies at 68

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lorenzo Soria, president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and former editor of the Italian news weekly L’Espresso, died Friday, the association said. He was 68. Soria died peacefully at his Los Angeles home, the association said in a statement, lauding his ...

Dear Annie: Bring your information to the pharmacy

Dear Annie: I often go to a large pharmacy to pick up prescriptions. They see hundreds of customers daily, so there is no way the several pharmacists would recognize me. Since I wear a mask and must speak through the plastic shield between us, sometimes they cannot understand me when I say my ...

World’s sole Vitrolite installer works in WV’s Statehouse

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Vitrolite, a form of pigmented structural glass made only in West Virginia, had a sensational run while it lasted. Its production began in 1908 in Vienna, Wood County, in a factory operated by the Meyercord-Carter Co. Six years later, the company reorganized as the ...

Educators to host webinar series

MARQUETTE — Michigan State University Extension is a resource for food safety training. Food Safety Educators will be hosting a live online webinar focusing on Pantry Food Safety — It’s Your Job. This is a two-part series. Part One of the series will cover the following topics why ...

Webinar held on Medicare basics

MARQUETTE — Turning 65? New to Medicare? Join U.P. Health Plan online for a free webinar at 10 a.m. Aug. 19 to learn more about Medicare basics and your options. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. Register at ...

Musical Interludes event Aug. 17

MARQUETTE — At 7 p.m. Aug. 17, the Peter White Public Library will host its last Musical Interludes — LIVE! on the library’s Front Street steps. The guests for this informal interview/performance are two members of the All Strings Considered, old-time stringband, Phil and Annette Watts. ...

One Voice to perform in L’Anse

L’ANSE — Singing hits of the 40s, 50s 60s and beyond, the women’s vocal group One Voice brings the fun to the free L’Anse Lakefront Concerts at 7 p.m. Aug 13. The lakefront park is at the foot of Broad Street at the lake. Bring a chair or blanket and enjoy their music, the good vibes, ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Though I love nonfiction, when I really want to escape into a book I choose sci-fi. Suffice to say I’ve been reading much more science fiction these days! Explore new worlds, connect with relatable characters, and contemplate our place in the universe with these titles, available digitally ...

What’s Flying: Time to enjoy the fresh air here

“Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.”  —  Walt Whitman Eat, sleep, observe and absorb, there are so many parts of the fresh air experience. For most, it is a walk or a hike, or maybe just a saunter ...