Community

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

A healthy pet in the new year

Dear Readers: New year, new “leash” on life! Let’s look at what we can do to keep our PETS SAFE AND HEALTHY in 2020: 1. Microchip. Make sure it’s up to date. Collars and ID tags can break or fall off. 2. Spaying and neutering. The stray animal population is much too high. 3. ...

Invest time in previous generation

Q: Now that my kids are grown, I have more time on my hands and want to invest it in something else meaningful. Do you have any suggestions? Jim: We often place great emphasis on the next generation: The children growing up today who will become the leaders of tomorrow. That’s certainly ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Dividend Details Q: How and why do companies decide to pay dividends? — H.T., Gainesville, Florida A: If a company’s management expects reliable cash generation in the years to come, it may decide to reward shareholders by paying a cash dividend — and it won’t ...

Mobile oxygen tank is safe, beneficial option

DEAR DR. ROACH: My husband is on oxygen, and he won’t take the mobile tank while he is outside. Will being on oxygen give him longer life? — M.K. ANSWER: Many causes of chronic lung disease lead to low oxygen levels. If the resting oxygen level is low (less than 89% oxygen saturation), ...

Absence from guest list hurts old friend of groom’s mother

DEAR ABBY: I have had a friend, “Kimberly,” for 52 years, ever since first grade. We went all through school together. Teachers described her as a “social butterfly.” My dad described her as a “phony.” She’s an extrovert with a nice personality and many friends. I am more of an ...

Caregivers need care, too

Dear Annie: I have a 31-year-old son who has always struggled with mental illness issues. He was diagnosed with depression at age 15 and again in his early 20s when we sent him to a weeklong involuntary residential treatment. He will not stay on medication or go to counseling. In the ...

Accomplishments abound during two-minute warning

Since our new year begins with the annual college bowl games and proceeds through the NFL Playoffs that culminate in the Super Bowl, January is often considered the greatest football month of the year. Millions pass January’s leisure hours watching helmets crash and bombs fly through the air ...

Pope negotiates papal kiss after controversy

By NICOLE WINFIELD Associated Press VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis cautiously waded back into the crowds on Wednesday after video of him swatting away the hand of a pilgrim who grabbed him went viral and sparked a papal apology. Francis gingerly agreed to a nun’s request for a kiss on ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been married for five years. We are in our early 30s and child-free. We talked about having children before we got married. At the time, we were both very much on the fence. We promised to keep checking in with each other and having honest conversations about ...

Erickson center program offered

MARQUETTE — The Erickson Center for the Arts, Curtis, offers a Cookies and Canvas Family Paint Class — “HAPPY PENGUIN!” from 2-4:30- p.m. Sunday. Join instructor Linda Anderson for a family canvas class. “Cookies and Canvas” is open to adults and children ages 5 and up (children ...

Dance at Rock center Sunday

ROCK — A dance is planned at the Rock Senior Center, 3892 W. Mapleridge Road, from 1-4 p.m. Sunday. Music will be provided by Old Friends. The cost is $5 per person. Lunch will be available. For more information, call Becky at 906-630-3338.

Zonta grant apps being accepted

MARQUETTE — The Zonta Club of the Marquette Area is currently accepting applications for its 2020 Grant Cycle. Every year, the Zonta Club of the Marquette Area grants approximately $5,000 to the community. Funds are raised through their annual Koeze Nut Sale, according to a press release. ...

What’s flying

“People don’t notice whether it’s winter or summer when they’re happy.” - Anton Chekhov Finding happiness in winter can be more challenging without the warm temperatures, blossoms, sweet fragrances, fluttering butterflies and birds songs of spring and summer. It clearly takes more ...

The calendar

Second Sunday Folk Dance set

CRYSTAL FALLS — On Sunday, modern day troubadour Mark Dvorak will perform at the Second Sunday Folk Dance at the Fortune Lake Camp in Crystal Falls. The music starts at 5 p.m. ET and includes an opening set by White Water and a one-hour concert by Dvorak. The second half of the event is a ...

Breakfast buffet held at Gwinn VFW

GWINN — Gwinn VFW Post 5670 will sponsor a breakfast buffet from 9 a.m. to noon Sunday at the club. The cost is $8 for adults and $5 for kids under 10 years. On the menu will be pancakes, french toast, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, coffee, juice, and milk.

Booster club to hold fundraiser

ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming Hematite Sports Booster Club will sponsor its 12th annual Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Ishpeming High/Middle School Cafeteria (Division Street gym entrance). Take-out dinners will be available. IHS student athletes will be there ...