Community

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board Continued

PaleoJoe to offer presentation NEGAUNEE — PaleoJoe, a paleontologist and children’s author, will present “Dinosaurs ... in space???” at 11:30 a.m. June 19 at the Negaunee Public Library. Learn about fossils that astronauts have taken into space, how an asteroid probably killed the ...

Aging mother in nursing home exhibiting change in behavior

Q: My aging mother used to be a very positive person, but now she barely speaks to us when we visit her in the nursing home where she’s been living for just over a year. Is depression a normal part of the aging process — and what can we do? Jim: Our counselors say that, unfortunately, ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

Parent wants to support child’s independence

Dear Annie: My youngest is set to move out of the family home in the next month or two. We don’t mind her living at home, but she needs to move out for her own peace of mind, so she can have her own space and start to live independently. She’s 22. In the past — and still — she has often ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Tread Carefully With IPOs Q: I see that Uber Technologies’ initial public offering didn’t go too well. I thought IPOs were good investments. They’re not? — T.C., Anderson, Indiana A: Jason Zweig offered a great definition of IPOs in his book “The Devil’s Financial ...

Online pet meds might be risky

Dear Heloise: The Food and Drug Administration is warning people to be very careful about BUYING PET MEDICATION ONLINE due to some of the illegal and dangerous actions the FDA has seen. While some companies are reputable, many others are not. There is a definite risk of dosing your pet with ...

Getting out is best first step for introvert seeking friends

DEAR ABBY: Do you have any advice on how I can make friends with people my own age in my hometown? It’s a small college town. I recently graduated from the local university and still live at home with my parents. Most of the people I socialized with in school have moved back home after ...

Surgery is a valid treatment for obstructive sleep apnea

DEAR DR. ROACH: My son, who is 30 years old, was recently diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea and currently uses a CPAP machine. He says does not want to use this for the rest of his life, therefore, he has researched surgery to correct his OSA. Recently he consulted with a sleep ...

Bulletin Board

‘The Favourite’ screened June 18 MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites film fans to watch “The Favourite” at 6 p.m. June 18 in the library’s Community Room on the lower level. Bring dinner to enjoy this holiday movie in a dinner theater setting with other movie ...

Prank gone too far

Dear Annie: My office mates and I enjoy a good prank as a way of keeping things light. Recently, a good friend of mine, “Jimmy,” went on an extended vacation with his family. I decided to do a prank I have long wanted to do: put his house up for sale. My wife, “Diana,” told me that I ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Sometimes the first time is the charm; at least it is for these authors. You can find their debut books at the Peter White Public Library in the New Fiction and New Non-fiction sections. “Where the Crawdads Sing” Delia Owens Within a month of its August debut, “Where the Crawdads ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

‘The Last Gift’ to be presented MARQUETTE — The dancers from Marquette Center for Dance will be presenting “The Last Gift,” an original ballet written for Marquette Center for Dance, at 7 p.m. on Wednesday at Kaufman Auditorium. The production is under the direction of Lynne ...

Snore more teasing

Dear Annie: Growing up, my siblings and I would make fun of my mom’s snoring all the time. To be fair, the noise seemingly could wake the dead; she sounded like she was sawing logs every night. Her snoring became one of our favorite family jokes, and to this day it’s brought up on a pretty ...

Republic-Michigamme shares 4th Q honor roll

6th grade All As and Bs Kreegan Gransinger 7th grade All As Keilee Gransinger All As and Bs Alexa Radcliffe and Daisy Wheeler 8th grade All As Sophia Jarvi and Aaron Laakso All As and Bs Samuel Dyer and Talon Hamel 9th grade All As and Bs Derek Koski and Abigail ...

Calendar

NAMI meeting on Monday

MARQUETTE — The National Alliance on Mental Illness-Alger/Marquette offers free, confidential peer support groups and educational meetings for individuals living with mental illness, and friends or families living with an individual with mental illness. A support group will gather at 7 p.m. ...

Troy Graham performs in Negaunee

NEGAUNEE — Local talent Troy Graham will be at the Negaunee Public Library at 1 p.m. June 18. He will hold a family-friendly musical performance on the lawn of Negaunee City Hall, weather permitting. It will be held in the Reading Room in inclement weather. The public is invited to ...