Community

Peter White Public Library Youth Services

While closed due to COVID-19, the Peter White Public Library will strive to bring programming to our youth and families via the technology available to us. If you have Facebook, we encourage you to follow @PeterWhitePublicLibraryYouthServices to stay up-to-date on upcoming programs. For ...

Dance Zone events are canceled

MARQUETTE — All classes and events at Dance Zone have also been canceled through March 30. Contact Marge msklar@nmu.edu for more information.

Youth camp scholarships available

LANSING — Michigan United Conservation Clubs has announced an opportunity to get kids to the Michigan Out-of-Doors Youth Camp through the Riley Wilderness Youth Camp Scholarships. With support from the Riley Foundation and Safari Club International-Novi Chapter, each summer 80 new campers ...

Lenten event canceled

MARQUETTE — The Lenten mission, “Finding Happiness,” scheduled for March 29 and 30 at St. Michael Catholic Church, Marquette, has been canceled. This action coincides with recent measures taken by other local entities to restrict large gatherings of people to slow the spread of the ...

Virus gathering bans raises religious freedom questions

NEW YORK (AP) — On the first Sunday after the coronavirus began upending American life, some religious institutions – including two churches whose pastors are close to President Donald Trump – held in-person services amid public health worries over the pandemic. That picture already looks ...

Teaching perseverance to kids key

Q: My approach to parenting has basically been to let my kids try an activity, and if they don’t like it, we just go on to something else. Some of my friends have told me they don’t agree. What’s your take? Jim: Children hate disappointment, and they’ll do almost anything to avoid it. ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Groupon Reversing? Q: I read that Groupon is considering a “reverse split.” Is that good? — T.D., Fairbanks, Alaska A: Nope. Reverse splits are typically executed by struggling companies. Groupon fits that bill, with its stock recently trading around $0.83 per share, ...

Do not call, please

Dear Readers: Still getting those annoying robo calls from fake charities, fake IRS calls and other nuisance calls? It’s important to report them to federal agencies so they can gather evidence and put a stop to these people. Be sure to: Report all scam calls to the Federal Trade Commission ...

Joy over new boyfriend can’t diminsh pain of loss

Dear Abby: I have had a serious boyfriend for six months. He’s wonderful, a dream come true. But I find myself more depressed and suicidal than ever. Mom tells me I don’t have any reason to be depressed since I have a boyfriend. It’s like she thinks I have no right to still be despondent ...

Steroids and surgery, not insulin, may be cause

DEAR DR. ROACH: I am 70 years old and had a kidney transplant 18 years ago. I developed diabetes, but it was controlled through oral medication. I recently went into the hospital for pneumonia and was given large doses of steroids and injections of insulin. Now I am unable to bring my sugar ...

Giving a voice to those with mental illnesses

Dear Annie: I am new to your column, so I’m not sure what all you’ve shared with the public about mental illness. I’m hoping you will publish this letter because I feel that most people need to know more. It’s often said that the more understanding one gains, the more compassion he/she ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: Dateless daughters

Dear Annie: We have two daughters, ages 30 and 32. They are both educated professionals. While they are completely self-sufficient financially (no debt because we paid for their higher education), we are still their “go-to” for emotional support. They are active socially with friends, ...

Woods, shores showing more signs of life

“It’s a spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you’ve got it, you want to - oh, you don’t quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!” — Mark Twain Mark Twain’s words have appeared here before, but perhaps ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

The calendar

MSU Extension meetings canceled

MARQUETTE — These Michigan State University Extension meetings are canceled due to recent CDC-issued guidelines: ≤ Beekeeping Workshop, April 4 Ewen Trout Creek School ≤ “Recipes for Forage Success” Meetings, March 26, Delta County MSU Extension Office, Escanaba, and April 6, Mass ...

March 26 Medicare event canceled

MARQUETTE —The Medicare Advantage event scheduled for March 26 at Upper Peninsula Health Plan has been canceled. Go to www.uphp.com for updates on future events.

MRHC presentation rescheduled

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Regional History Center presents: Sites Of Refuge And Resilience: Anishinaabe Logging Settlements has been rescheduled for 6:30 p.m. May 6. Eric Drake, PhD, Heritage Program Manager of the Hiawatha National Forest, will present his talk: Working to Stay Together in ...