Community

Christie’s Chronicles: Mapping adventures

I don’t let the lack of time or a budget keep me from seeing all parts of the world.Google Maps makes a great travel agent. My husband Dave, who is adept at navigating this app, introduced me to this digital hobby. I use it to find my way when I’m driving, but Dave is really adept at it, ...

Managing cultural resources on Lighthouse Island

MARQUETTE — The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is releasing its revised plan for managing cultural resources on Lighthouse Island of the Huron National Wildlife Refuge in Lake Superior in Marquette County. The Cultural Resources Management Plan guides administration of the historic Huron ...

DNR land auctions coming up

MARQUETTE — Keeping your eyes open for the right piece of Michigan property? Don’t miss the current auctions of surplus public land from the Department of Natural Resources. After careful consideration of properties it manages on behalf of Michigan residents, the DNR has selected 10 that ...

Hydrant flushing in Negaunee

NEGAUNEE — On Wednesday, Negaunee Public Works Department will begin flushing the water and hydrant systems in the city of Negaunee, from 7 a.m - 3 p.m., over a period of up to four weeks. The job will begin starting south of Negaunee and progress north of U.S. 41. City of Negaunee ...

Estate planning set at PWPL

MARQUETTE — Samantha Ashby, Adult Services Department Head at Peter White Public Library, provides information on how to manage digital assets (emails, documents, images, audio, visual) and accounts (email, social media, software, financial, file sharing) after your passing. Join in to ...

What’s flying: Spring migration spikes with heat

“Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it.” — Russell Baker Summer drifted in and out of the Upper Peninsula this past week with another roller coaster rise and fall off temperatures from the mid-80s to near freezing in some inland sites. The high temperatures seem ...