Community

8-18 MEDIA: Speaking from the heart

I was very young when I realized my manner of speech would be the best way to assimilate myself with mainstream American society. I was four when I moved to the United States. I attended preschool a year later in the small, southern Illinois college town my family and I lived in. I was small, I ...

Sprucing up the plaza

The Ishpeming High School Track & Field Team, Key Club members and National Society members plus track coaches work on landscaping at the Ishpeming Heritage Plaza on May 14. They placed 24 cubic yards of topsoil along the Heritage Trail by the Three Sons of Ishpeming Memorial. ...

GETTING INVOLVED

MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University student Gwen Feamster, a political science major from downstate Linden has been selected to serve on the Michigan Department of State’s Collegiate Student Advisory Task Force, NMU announced. She is among 25 undergraduates chosen from more than 200 ...

June mornings are alive with birds

Thank you for waking me up. A warm good morning, after sweet dreams of last night, wish you a good day with good morning. — Unknown The sounds of morning are the ticket to true happiness in June! Migration has wound down to just a few late arrivals, mostly a few shorebirds. ...

Meet the Gwinn High School Class of 2022

Gwinn Middle/High School Team mascot: Tiger Number of grades in school: 7 Student body enrollment: 484 Number of seniors: 36 Commencement time, day, location: 7 p.m. Friday, May 27, E.L. Miller Gymnasium Speakers: Lance Espinosa (guest speaker), Keegan Woods (Valedictorian), ...

Christie’s Chronicles: Paradise by the Peninsula Point Light

Who knew paradise could be found in a shrubby area behind a couple of outhouses? May 11 began not unlike our previous trips to that spring birding hotspot, Peninsula Point, which juts into Lake Michigan from the Stonington Peninsula. Things with feathers, having had to fly across a Great Lake ...