Community

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Earnings Anticipation Q: When I read about the “anticipated” earnings of a company, who is doing that anticipating? — K.B., Lancaster, Ohio A: Such language typically refers to the consensus of Wall Street analysts, who routinely offer estimates of company earnings ...

Not the right gift?

Dear Readers: It’s gift-giving season, but giving a LIVE ANIMAL AS A GIFT? Not always a good choice. Owning a pet is a HUGE responsibility; some may not be up to the task. A pet is a 10-to-20-year commitment that involves time, energy and money. Your neighborhood Humane Society and other ...

Why should one give anything to undeserving people?

Christmas is a season for giving but some refuse to give to those they see as undeserving of their gifts; those who, like the prodigal son, have wasted their money. Why should we give to those who’ve had their chance and blown it? Another church once joined with the one where I was the ...

The prognosis on extra heartbeat is usually normal

DEAR DR. ROACH: I’m an 83-year-old woman in very good health who takes no medications. My doctor informed me that I have an “extra” heartbeat, but I have no noticeable symptoms. What is my prognosis? Will my heart wear out sooner? — R.P. ANSWER: Based on what you’ve told me, I’m ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Birch bark artist to work MARQUETTE — Local birch bark artist Rick Eckloff will offer a hands-on program from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday on how to make birch bark and acorn angels. These ornaments can be used on Christmas trees, as tags for gifts or as gifts for loved ones. Other birch bark craft will be on display and available for purchase for that special gift. The program is suitable for ages 6 and up. Younger children may need parent assistance. No registration is required. There will be a suggested donation of $5 per person or $10 per family up to four.

Birch bark artist to work MARQUETTE — Local birch bark artist Rick Eckloff will offer a hands-on program from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday on how to make birch bark and acorn angels. These ornaments can be used on Christmas trees, as tags for gifts or as gifts for loved ones. Other birch bark ...

Passive Aggressive

Dear Annie: My wife and I are approaching our 70th birthdays this year. As we have aged, hosting company and taking care of visiting children and grandchildren has become more stressful. One of our daughters (my stepdaughter), “Janet,” visits with her 8-year-old daughter and 70-pound dog. ...

Rowley-Beckman

GAYLORD — Chelsea Rae Rowley and Douglas Eugene Beckman were united in marriage on Aug. 31, 2019 at Sojourn Lakeside Resort in Gaylord. Dr. Larry Skendzel officiated the ceremony. Chelsea is the daughter of Brenda and Keith Rowley of Bay City. Douglas is the son of Liz and Mark Beckman of ...

Christmas bird count coming up very soon

“Birds sing after a storm; why shouldn’t people feel as free to delight in whatever sunlight remains to them?” - Rose Kennedy Last Sunday’s storm seemed to bring significant changes to what had been some incredible birding in the central Upper Peninsula. The storms can also bring ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I am a teacher in a small town in New England. When I began my job, I thought it was the best job in the world. I spent a lot of time, money and effort to learn the skills to become an effective teacher, and I couldn’t think of a better way to give back to my ...

Holiday Open House set at library

MARQUETTE — Spend the afternoon wandering through a winter wonderland of trees at the Peter White Public Library’s annual Holiday Open House from 3-5 p.m. Saturday throughout the library. Snack on tasty treats provided by the Library Staff and Friends while strolling through the trees and ...

Wine tasting fundraiser Saturday

NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee VFW 3165 Auxiliary will be hosting a wine tasting fundraiser at 6 p.m. Saturday, at the Post Home. A large selection of quality wines, hors d’oeuvres, raffles, and live entertainment by Just The Two Of Us are just some of the reasons to attend this veteran and ...

Breakfast buffet at Gwinn VFW

GWINN — Gwinn VFW Post 5670 will sponsor a breakfast buffet from 9 a.m. to noon Sunday at the club. The cost is $8 for adults and $5 for kids under 10 years. On the menu will be pancakes, french toast, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, coffee, juice, and milk.

Holiday breakfast set for Sunday

ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming Lions Club’s 16th annual Holiday Breakfast will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday at St. John’s Church K.D. Hall on Main Street in downtown Ishpeming. Guests may enter from South Pine Street as well where there is ample parking. The full breakfast buffet features ...

Genealogy help offered at library

MARQUETTE — Need help researching family history? The Peter White Public Library continues to partner with the Marquette County Genealogical Society to help navigate the genealogy resources at PWPL. Those with an interest in genealogy are welcome to work individually with an experienced ...

IHS Class of 1957 to meet for lunch

ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming High School Class of 1957 will meet for lunch at 11:30 am. Wednesday at the Border Grill in Negaunee.

Book sale held at Negaunee library

NEGAUNEE — The Friends of the Negaunee Public Library will hold a small book sale from 2-7 p.m. Monday in the Reading Room of the library. All are welcome to come by to purchase inexpensive, gently used books in time for the holidays.