Community

Peter White Public Library: September schedule

MARQUETTE — Peter White Public Library in Marquette has announced its September schedule: Tuesday, Sept. 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29 Book-A-Librarian — get one-on-one assistance via phone or Zoom with questions about technology, genealogy, or anything else the reference librarians normally ...

At the DNR

MARQUETTE — Registration for this year’s Michigan Inland Lakes Convention – taking place virtually Sept. 16-18 — is open through Sept. 11, according to a Michigan Department of Natural Resources press release. “The virtual setting is a safe way to enable participation from all who ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I met this guy, “Bill,” through work. We hit it off. He’d told me he was single. Later, I found out through a mutual colleague that Bill had a girlfriend, “Julie,” a divorced lady with two kids, but he wouldn’t be able to marry her because his family wouldn’t approve ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’ve been with “Robby” for three years. I just moved in with him a few weeks ago, and I’ve been discovering some unpleasant surprises while using his computer. First, I found some racy photos saved on his hard drive. Then, I saw in his browser history that he’d been on ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I am 68 years old and have been married to my husband for 44 years, and we have two children and three grandchildren. Our son has the three grandchildren, and he is close to the final decree of divorce from his wife of 13 years. I have always tried to allow our children to live ...

At the DNR

SAULT STE. MARIE — The East Marble Head Trail Route on Drummond Island will be closed for the next couple of weeks for the safety of route users and loggers. Earlier this month, Michigan Department of Natural Resources trail officials asked riders using the route to use extra caution, ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My wife and I are a retired elderly couple living in a ranch-style home. Over the last four years, my wife has had some health issues and is limited in what she can do. I have been more or less a caregiver, doing all the chores around the house, such as cleaning, washing clothes, ...

At the DNR

August is tree check month. You can help protect Michigan’s trees while you’re enjoying the outdoors. Look for and report any signs of the Asian longhorned beetle, an invasive pest that could harm our environment and economy. While the beetle hasn’t been detected in Michigan, finding ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I am a 27-year-old man who needs help. Recently, I met a guy via the internet. We hit it off and have a lot in common. In addition, he lives in the same state that I do. I’ve seen pictures of him, so I know what he looks like. He even gave me his phone number. I want to call him ...

COVID-19 response

STRASBURG, Va. — Recent changes to a federal forgivable loan program intended to help small businesses weather the COVID-19 pandemic have been welcomed by some owners but may have come too late for others. Passed by the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives and signed into law by ...

New at Peter White Public Library

What’s New at the Peter White Public Library? “Pluto Gets The Call” Juvenile non-fiction, 523.4 by Adam Rex. I still remember the mnemonic “My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.” Who else is with me? Rex has found an amusing way to remind us that Pluto does indeed ...

‘Love in the Time of Corona’ is ‘time capsule’ of the times

NEW YORK — From grappling with big life decisions to a marriage on the brink, a new four-part miniseries tackles relationship struggles during the COVID-19 pandemic. Leslie Odom Jr. and Nicolette Robinson, who are married in real life, co-star and executive produce “Love in the Time of ...

‘The Wicked Sister’ discussion

MARQUETTE — Join Karen Dionne for a book club discussion of her newest novel, “The Wicked Sister,” at 2 p.m. Friday via Zoom, hosted by the Peter White Public Library. “The Wicked Sister,” set in the Upper Peninsula, takes a look at mental illness and psychopathy. Believing that she ...

Fish dinner at Marquette Elks

MARQUETTE — Marquette Elks Lodge 405 will offer a fish dinner open to the public on Sept. 4 from 4:30-7 p.m. Dinners will have a choice of whitefish, cod or shrimp with baked potato, homemade slaw and dessert. Phone in an order to 906-226-7611. Limited seating is available by reservation ...

EconoFoods to hold fundraiser

MARQUETTE —Tadych’s EconoFoods is holding a ‘Round-Up’ fundraiser to help the Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter. From Monday through Sept. 20, Econo is giving customers an easy way to help UPAWS. Just tell the cashier that you would like to round up your total when you check out ...

Dear Annie: Online actions have in-person impacts

Dear Annie: My direct manager recently deleted me on the networking website LinkedIn. I have repeatedly asked him, in person and through email, why he deleted me, but I receive nothing but vague responses from him. I feel a lack of respect over his deleting me and even more so when he refuses ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I am a single mom with two kids, who are now adults. My husband is also divorced. He and his ex-wife, “Tricia,” have a 12-year-old son. The reason they divorced is that Tricia was caught cheating. But by my mother-in-law’s telling, Tricia only cheated because of my ...

PWPL September schedule

Peter White Public Library has announced its schedule for September: Wednesday, Sept. 2 and Thursday, Sept. 17 Take and Make Activity Kit Pick Up — 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sept. 2 and 3-6 p.m. Sept. 17, Peter White Public Library parking lot, under the white tent. Take and Make Activity Kits for ...

Dear Annie: What to do when man puts his daughters and girlfriend at odds

Dear Annie: I’m 52 and have dated “Bob” for six years. We both have grown children. Last week, he said one of his two daughters “didn’t think much of me.” I like and socialize with them at family dinners. I asked which one said that, but he refuses to tell me. This hurts, to say ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: We’re a group of about 10 over-60 high school friends who get together for brunch or dinner annually around Christmastime. “Ronnie” will always make the reservations, send out the details and grab the check. She’ll simply divide for the number and ask everyone for that ...