Community

History center to host book release presentation

MARQUETTE —The Marquette Regional History Center will host the book release: “Biography of Chief Charles Kawbawgam” by local author Tyler Tichelaar via a Zoom presentation and slideshow at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 18. On Nov. 1, award-winning author Tyler R. Tichelaar will release his 21st book, ...

Youth programming at PWPL

MARQUETTE — Peter White Public Library in Marquette has announced its November youth programming: Monday, Nov. 2, all day. November Take & Make Kit Pickup Peter White Public Library Youth Services Department. November Kits include everything needed to make Fall Table Décor, great ...

Dear Annie: Don’t Dim Your Light

Dear Annie: I'm in love, 50 years old, and frustrated. I've been with my wonderful boyfriend for 10 years now. My ex tragically died a year before we met, and the current relationship was completely unexpected and refreshing, as I had no plans to ever love again. He, too, had been single (for ...

Dear Annie: Many cyberbullying solutions are available

Dear Annie: This is about the young girl who was being bullied by some schoolgirls. Our daughter got bullied, and I want to share how my wife handled it. She invited the mothers and daughters over for coffee and dessert. She made it clear the invitation was mandatory. They all came. It was a ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: Many of the letters to you complain of ungrateful children and adults who don’t send thank-you’s, don’t call, or who are otherwise ungrateful. Too often, children (aka future adults) are taught to be takers, not givers, so they don’t build habits of giving, giving back, or ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My sister-in-law of more than 40 years has again done something that I feel is disrespectful. She has taken one of my granddaughters under her wing. What’s wrong with that? A few years ago, our then-21-year-old granddaughter moved in with us to save money. We gave her three ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I have close friends who in the past few years have gravitated to both the far left and far right of the sociopolitical spectrum. It has made it hard on both my wife and me, as we sit somewhere in the middle. Today’s environment does not seem to allow for compromise or ...

U.P. Diabetes Outreach Network available

MARQUETTE — Since COVID-19 started, are you having trouble taking care of yourself? Have you gained weight, found yourself frequently eating junk food and sitting in front of the TV or computer? This can be harmful if you have diabetes, kidney disease, heart problems, a physical disability, ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I have been married for over 20 years to a woman who has been a good mom, but not a woman I am in love with. I care about her tremendously, but I have lost all interest in her romantically. She refuses to work to help with the rising cost of living and impending college tuition ...

Dear Annie: Lost intimacy

Dear Annie: My wife and I have been married coming on 19 years. We have two kids. Since we had children, she never seems to want to be intimate with me — so much so that she went to her general doctor for some help. That was three years ago. She finally figured things out and determined ...

Dear Annie: Don’t give up

Dear Annie: My son and daughter-in-law have been married for about three years. She used to be a very nice girl when dating my son. When they told me they were getting married, it was just so that she could be put on my son’s health insurance because she couldn’t work anymore. I was still ...

MRHC Nordic skiing presentation

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Regional History Center presents: Nordic Skiing Presentation on the MRHC lawn at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 14. Sten Fjeldheim, Olympic trainer and championship winning head coach of Nordic skiing teams at Northern Michigan University for 34 years, will talk about his career ...

NMU to host virtual transfer week

MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University Admissions will host a virtual transfer week from Oct. 12–17. The week includes activities planned specifically for NMU transfer students. “We find that transfer students tend to have different questions than a junior or senior in high ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I love my wife. We’ve been married for 11 years, but recently, she hasn’t been taking my side with anything involving our 14-year-old son. She tells me that I am overreacting or being stubborn. OK, I know I can be stubborn, but I firmly believe a child should show respect to his ...

Local impact

LANSING — The threat of losing your driver’s license for offenses unrelated to dangerous driving would be eliminated under bills pushed by advocates for low-income Michigan residents. Three out of four Michiganders with suspended driving licenses continue to drive anyway, said Simon ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: My aunt “Amy” has been using Facebook and Instagram to post political memes, status updates and articles that reflect a viewpoint very different from my own. The posts are negative and sometimes contain offensive language, and they are upsetting to me. Most end with something ...

Dear Annie: Stop building that wall of resentment

Dear Annie: My wife and I are in our late 70s. We have two grown daughters. Twenty years ago, we retired and moved a few states to be closer to our older daughter, “Melissa,” and her children. Our younger daughter, “Allie,” lives back in our hometown. (She chose not to have kids.) Now, ...

Dear Annie: Time to decide: Stay or go?

Dear Annie: Almost four years ago, I had a double mastectomy, and five months prior to that, a complete hysterectomy! Over time, I have had 19 surgeries. Needless to say, I haven’t felt very good about myself. In fact, I’ve felt pretty low more times than I can count. Then I found out ...

U.P. residents appointed to state councils

LANSING, Mich. - Gov. Gretchen Whitmer Friday announced the following appointments of Upper Peninsula residents to a government council: Michigan Developmental Disabilities Council Daniel A. Paul, of Escanaba, is the president of Delta County Regional Inclusive Community Committee and the ...