Community

Art show happening at The Gallery

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Artist Collective and The Gallery, 130 W Washington St., Marquette, hosts Fresh Catch, which celebrates fish and Lake Superior. The show, which opened Aug. 6, runs through Sept. 3 at The Gallery. The reception for the show is from 6-8 p.m. Friday. For more ...

Winery to host concert

BARK RIVER — The Funday Sunday Benefit Concert Series at Northern Sun Winery in Bark River concludes this Sunday with the lively and colorful music of U.P. Gumbo, who provide the perfect accompaniment to enjoy the vineyard’s locally inspired wine offerings. Now in its fourth season, the ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I met a great gal. We seem really good together most of the time, but here’s the rub. She has a dog. It is a nice dog but not very well trained. The big problem is bedtime at my place. The dog wants to share our bed, and is uncontrollably insistent about it, whining and disturbing ...

Bernie Ash paintings to be displayed

MARQUETTE — Local artist Bernie Ash will auction five of his acrylic paintings from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at the Lost Creek Community Center. Ash is a member of the Lost Creek Beautification Committee, a volunteer group of seniors who have several projects underway. Once such project is ...

Elks fish fry Friday

MARQUETTE — Marquette Elks Lodge 405 fish fry is from 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. The public is welcome. Chef Jeff will make to order whitefish, baked or fried with a choice of lemon pepper, cajun, ragin cajun spices or plain. Shrimp and beer battered cod round out the seafood choices. Burgers and ...

Bay Cliff benefit Saturday

LITTLE LAKE — Superior Harley Owners Group has its Bike Show for Bay Cliff this Saturday. The event will be start at Bald Eagle Harley Davidson in Marquette from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and then a ride to the American Legion Post in Little Lake from 2-6 p.m. There will be music by The Reveal, ...

Hope Free grill out picnic planned

ISHPEMING — Hope Free Lutheran Church, located in west Ishpeming, will hold a Grill-Out Picnic at 5 p.m. Sunday. Hamburgers, hot dogs, coleslaw, beans, chips and more will be served and indoor seating will be available. Groceries will also be available to those in need. Everyone is welcome ...

Copper mining celebration set

ROCKLAND — All are invited to join in on Sunday for a celebration of copper mining history at Old Victoria in Rockland,. The 37th annual Old Victoria Craft Fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., with refreshments served all afternoon. Don’t miss the old-fashioned kids games, held at ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I have a problem I’ve been struggling with for quite some time. I am in my late 40s and have been married for over half my life. For the past five years or so, I have been dealing with the idea that I may be gay. I have always kind of felt that I could be, but I went the ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: Recently, I stayed with my niece and nephew while my brother and his wife took a trip. This seems like a trivial problem, but I know it can lead to serious health issues in the long run. Neither of my brother’s teenaged kids brushed their teeth regularly. I reminded them often, ...

Pet handling class Saturday

MARQUETTE — SuperiorLand Pet Partners is holding a Handler Class Saturday in Marquette. This class is the first step in a process of training and testing pet therapy teams with international pet therapy group Pet Partners. For more information about pet therapy or to register for the ...

UPAWS is sharing love

MARQUETTE — “Share the Love,” a free adoption event, is planned from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday at the Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter. UPAWS is hosting this adoption event for pets in conjunction with the ASPCA and Subaru Share the Love Event. UPAWS received a grant from the ...

Tai Chi workshop coming up

MARQUETTE — An introduction to the mind/body practice of Tai Chi Chuan will take place from 9:30 a.m. to noon Saturday at the Hope Connection Center, 927 W. Fair Ave., Marquette. No prior experience is necessary. Tai Chi is a gentle exercise the integrates breathing with slow movements ...

The calendar

The calendar

Tuesday Benefit — Queen City Burgers will have a special promotion to benefit the Grant Henriksen Memorial which through the U.P. Children’s Fund offers support to Upper Peninsula families who have a child battling cancer. This date, 10% of all QC sales will go to the fund. For more ...

NPL offering free book crafting

NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee Public Library is offering a free book crafting course at 10 a.m. Saturday. Instead of sending books that have reached the end of their on-shelf lives to the recycling center or dump, turn them into art. Library staff will teach you the art of book folding and share ...

Coop extension crop field day set

MARQUETTE — Michigan State University Extension has announced its 2019 U.P. Crop Production Field Day schedule. To RSVP for the events,contact Monica Jean a minimum of five days before the field day by calling 906-786-3032 ext. 106 or emailing at atkinmon@msu.edu. Corn Field Day Aug. 27, ...

Shriners screenings to take place

MARQUETTE — “Doctors told my mom that I would never walk ... Shriners Healthcare for Children changed that.” — Matthew, 16. Know a child with signs of an orthopedic condition or need a second opinion? Families are invited to a complimentary screening clinic in Marquette, hosted by ...