Community

‘Camping’ while at home

MARQUETTE — When people think of scouting, they may think of a campout. As the states of Michigan and Wisconsin shelter in place, the Bay-Lakes Council invites the general public to join Scouts and families from across the Upper Peninsula and Northeast Wisconsin for a camp-in, ...

Volunteer opportunities

Once the coronavirus situation is resolved, there will be volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Given the Governor’s directive that we stay home and stay safe, many of us have time on our hands. Why not take some of that time to read? Here are some new science fiction selections to consider: The world in “Gamechanger” by L.X. Beckett has suffered through dramatic climate change, ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Vital meals help Holocaust survivors amid virus outbreak

NEW YORK (AP) — Brooklyn caterer Israel Frischman is continuing to prepare dozens of meals for elderly Holocaust survivors even though the Jewish community center that provides them owes him money. The Nachas Health and Family Network in Brooklyn has been forced to suspend its counseling ...

Avoiding healthy choices could derail relationship

Dear Abby: I’ve had an 18-year-old girlfriend for six months (I’m 24). She’s a sweet girl who’s caring, thoughtful and respectful. Every day typically goes well, and we never argue about anything — except for when it comes to her health. She is terrified of dentists and doctors. I ...

Misconduct, abuse by caregivers needs to be reported

Dear Annie: I am a senior woman. Recently, my husband, our adult son and my caregiver have been bullying me. It began when I witnessed inappropriate behavior between the caregiver and my husband. When I confronted my husband about it, he denied the obvious transgressions and instead verbally ...

Helpful guidelines for healthy humor

Q: Many of our friends find amusement in things that I personally consider offensive — movies, TV shows, jokes, etc. We want to enjoy the lighter side of life and encourage laughter in our home but do it in an appropriate and uplifting way. Do you have any helpful guidelines for healthy ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Bear Market, Defined Q: I hear the stock market entered a “bear market” — how is that determined? — C.M., Cincinnati A: It’s all a matter of degree. When the stock market’s overall value drops (from its high point) by 10%, that’s considered a “correction,” ...

Poor B12 absorption may be pernicious anemia

DEAR DR. ROACH: My stepdad is 84 years old and having problems with B12 deficiency. He is taking B12 shots, 1,000 mcg once a week, in addition to taking a 5000 mcg B12 vitamin daily. The numbers come back below 200. None of our doctors can figure it out. Any advice on to what is causing this? ...

Please donate to animal shelters

Dear Readers: It’s spring, and that means it’s puppy and kitten season. The animal shelters are bursting with new babies. They need donations, pronto! If you want to help, here are some items that are very much needed and recommended by The Humane Society. Food-related items: training ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I am concerned about several of my six siblings. We were brought up very strictly, and we experienced shame if we missed church or sinned. We’re all adults with kids of our own now. Over the years, several siblings and their spouses have become obsessively religious. It’s their ...

Malindzak scholarship apps accepted

MARQUETTE — Francine Malindzak Memorial Scholarship Fund applications are now being accepted. Qualifying Marquette Mountain Racing Team racers are invited to apply for the $1,500 Francine Malindzak Scholarship. Applicants must be graduating from high school, have been an active member ...

What’s flying: Watching spring inch its way into the U.P.

“I glanced out the window at the signs of spring. The sky was almost blue, the trees were almost budding, the sun was almost bright.” — Millard Kaufman Spring in the Upper Peninsula is in so many ways as it usually is, edging forward ever so uncertainly, then sliding back a few ...

Meditation class offered online

MARQUETTE — The public is invited to join Jeremy Morelock for a weekly, online meditation class emphasizing mindfulness, loving-kindness and compassion. The class meets Thursdays from 5:30-7 p.m. For a mobile device, first download the free Zoom app. Sign up at the bottom and click Join ...

Second Sunday event canceled

CRYSTAL FALLS — The April Second Sunday Folk Dance has been canceled in keeping with appropriate social distancing at this time. The series plans to be ready to go for the 2020-2021 season starting Oct. 11.

Trout Unlimited banquet postponed

MARQUETTE — The Fred Waara Chapter Trout Unlimited 2020 conservation and fundraising banquet scheduled for April 18 has been postponed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The new date will be 6 p.m. Oct. 17 in the Northern Michigan University Northern Center Grand Ballrooms. The event will ...

Table of Grace meal canceled

GWINN — Grace Lutheran Church in Gwinn will not be serving its free Table of Grace community meal on April 1 because of coronavirus concerns. The next meal is scheduled to be served on May 6.

The calendar