Community

New at Peter White Public Library

Summer is here and the new shelf at the Peter White Public Library is stocked full of light reads, laugh-out-loud reads, stellar non-fiction and more for those long summer nights at camp, at home or wherever. “Insta Style: Curate Your Life, Create Stunning Photos, Elevate Your Instagram ...

Assumptions bad for friendship

Dear Annie: I have known one of my friends, “Pam,” for more than 50 years, and at times she has been a very good friend. She and her husband introduced me to my now-ex-husband and were both in my wedding party. Last year, I had a disagreement with a mutual friend, “Sharon.” Quite ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: Companies often clueless on need for bereavement time

Dear Annie: My daughter was 14 weeks pregnant when the baby died. The nurse midwives, who were wonderful, sent her home to have the miscarriage and told her it could take up to two weeks to “be complete.” I was surprised and extremely saddened by how she was treated by her supervisor at ...

Bulletin Board

Land conservancy seeks volunteers MARQUETTE — Volunteer work days for the Upper Peninsula Land Conservancy will be from 4 to 6:30 p.m. on the third Thursday of each month starting in June 20. The first one will be at the Vielmetti-Peters Reserve near the end of Brickyard Road in Marquette ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: Scammers target elderly

Dear Annie: My 81-year-old mom and I live together. I work 52 hours a week, so she is home alone a lot. She does get picked up by friends a few times a week to play bingo. But something serious has happened. A guy started an online chat with her on a “Words with Friends” game. She chatted ...

Bulletin Board

NMU to offer summer kids college MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University’s Glenn T. Seaborg Mathematics and Science Center is offering “Summer College for Kids,” a program for students in grades K-8 to take courses in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM education). ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: Taming many fearful thoughts

Dear Annie: My wife and I have three perfect grandchildren, ages 1, 5 and 7. We love watching them at least one day a week. Their parents are caring and careful. But occasionally when I am just about to fall asleep, I have “waking dreams” that the most horrible things happen to the kids. ...

NPL forming teen advisory group

MARQUETTE — Area teens are invited to participate in the new Teen Advisory Group offered at the Negaunee Public Library. The program will have its kickoff meeting at 5 p.m. June 17 at the Negaunee Public Library. Teens can enjoy free pizza and participate in a paperback book swap. For the ...

Hope Free community dinner set

ISHPEMING — Hope Free Lutheran Church will hold its next community dinner at 5 p.m. Sunday. Spaghetti with meat sauce, salad and garlic bread will be on the menu. Everyone is invited to join us for a free meal and fellowship at the church located in west Ishpeming. Groceries will also be ...

Carnegie friends to meet

ISHPEMING — The Friends of the Ishpeming Carnegie Public Library meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Leverton Community Room on the lower level of the library. All who are interested in supporting the library and its programs are encouraged to join the group. Meetings are held monthly for ...

Cliffs Shaft open for season

ISHPEMING — Cliffs Shaft Mine Museum, located at 501 W Euclid St., Ishpeming, opens its doors for the 2019 season today. “Our museum is ready for the season with some new displays and a few surprises in store this year,” said Craig Ilmonen, the museum’s new park director in a press ...

The calendar

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: When did airplane seats become so small? I hadn’t flown in six years until this past spring, when I booked a flight to attend a family wedding. I reserved a window seat so that I could relax in comfort. But the experience was anything but comfortable. For starters, the man next ...

UPAWS offers special June rates

MARQUETTE — The Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter is offering a special rate for cat adoptions in the month of June. For the month, cats 1 year to 6 years will be available for adoption at a $25 special rate while cats age 7 and up are free. Those who adopt a cat in June will get ...

Woodturners club to hold meeting

MARQUETTE — The Superiorland Woodturners Club is holding its 12th annual meeting in the lower level of the Peter White Public Library at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. After a short business meeting, Marc Himes will demonstrate how to turn platters, including some oval shaped. Members of the public ...

Negaunee City Band to perform

NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee City Band plays its first concert of the 2019 season at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Outdoor Performing Arts Center at the east end of Iron Street. The band welcomes Brandon Nelson for his second year as director. Nelson has a strong educational background in music, ...

Bulletin Board

Officer available to assist veterans MARQUETTE — Stacy King, American Legion Tribal Veteran Service officer, will be available to assist all veterans and families of veterans with claims preparation, presentation, counsel and appeal counsel at no cost to the veterans. Anyone who believes ...