Community

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I am a 32-year-old married man with two children. I am trying to come to terms with my childhood. I grew up in a dysfunctional family, with an alcoholic father and a mother who had numerous affairs. My elder brother, “Michael,” was my world. He is only three years older than I ...

Knitting guild to meet

MARQUETTE — UP North Knitting Guild will be meeting at the Peter White Public Library at 5:30 p.m. today in the lower level, Room 2. Bring your knitting projects for show and tell. New members are welcomed. Questions? Call Pat at 906-249-3128.

PWPL hosting movie

MARQUETTE — “The Art of Racing in the Rain” will be shown at 12:30 p.m. today in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the library. Closed captioning will be on to ensure access for all. People are welcome to bring lunch. Enzo, a golden retriever, ...

Spay day at UPAWS

MARQUETTE — Annual Spay Day USA 2020 has arrived. The Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter is once again working with the local vet clinics to offer the service of low cost spays and neuters. To be eligible for the Spay Day USA event, you must be a resident of Marquette County and have a ...

Trout Unlimited after hours set

MARQUETTE — The Fred Wara Chapter of Trout Unlimited, in conjunction with the Northern Michigan University Fisheries & Wildlife Association, will host a “Fishing After Hours” Friday. This meeting is a special viewing of the Patagonia movie “Artifishal,” a film about the ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Meditation, energy transfer today

MARQUETTE — All are invited to join Asha Kim Lindquist for Power of Purity Meditation with energy transfer. Designed to cleanse the mind, this meditation session allows practitioners to receive and give love completely while getting rid of negative thoughts. The drop-in class meets from ...

Extension offering farm webinars

MARQUETTE — People who are exploring new farm businesses will benefit from participating in the MSU Extension 2020 Beginning Farmer Webinar Series. From January-April, MSU Extension will offer 13 online, Wednesday evening programs that provide valuable start-up information on general and more ...

Spaghetti fundraiser on Friday

NEGAUNEE — A spaghetti dinner fundraiser is planned from 4-7 p.m. Friday at the Negaunee Elks. All proceeds benefit the 2020 Pioneer Days and the Negaunee Irontown Baseball Field. On the menu is spaghetti with meat sauce, garlic toast and salad. Tickets are $8 for adults, $5 for seniors ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I am in my 60s, as are my brothers and sisters, and we’re all retired. We have always exchanged nice, thoughtful (though not expensive) gifts for birthdays, Christmas and maybe some other special occasions. Over the past several years, my brother “Rod” and his wife, ...

The calendar

Old time music at Ore Dock

MARQUETTE _ The old time stringband All Strings Considered, along with Friends, will present a program on Preserving the Roots — Early Rural Gospel Music for the opening Hiawatha Music Co-op HoTAAP (Traditional Acoustic Art Performance) concert from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday at the Ore Dock Brewing ...

PWPL hosting science book club

MARQUETTE — At 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, the Peter White Public Library will host a meeting of its science fiction book group, Klava Klub, at The Crib, located at 401 N. Third St. Marquette, to discuss John Scalzi’s “Lock In.” Chris Shane is a victim of Hayden’s Syndrome, a virus that ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I read your column daily and always like your tough love and sensible advice. I’m interested in what your advice would be in the following situation. It involves gift giving at Christmas for nieces and nephews. My daughter does not feel that her brother gave as much to her sons as ...

Bulletin Board

SmartZone to hold meeting MARQUETTE — Innovate Marquette SmartZone will hold a Women in Entrepreneurship event at 6 p.m. Thursday at Barrel + Beam, 260 Northwoods Road in Marquette Township. The event will host a panel of local women who will discuss their daily challenges in being female ...

The calendar

My body’s my body

Dear Annie: My husband, “Robert,” and I moved back to our hometown several years ago to help with aging parents. I went back to work as a nurse, and he joined his father’s law firm. Upon moving back, we struck up a friendship with an old acquaintance of Robert’s. “Tim” and Robert ...

Bulletin Board

MAPS advisory group set to meet MARQUETTE — The Marquette Area Public Schools Family Life Advisory Committee will meet at 4 p.m. Monday in the Marquette Senior High School SRC/Library. The main function of the FLAC is to discuss, review and make recommendations regarding family life, ...

New at Peter White Public Library

The New Year tends to bring about a time of self-reflection, resolutions and goals. We have several new books to help you improve — everything from interior design to travel to parenting. “Shared Living: Interior Design for Rented and Shared Spaces” by Emily Hutchinson (747.1 HU) ...