Community

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Five-year itch, or something more?

Dear Annie: I’ve been with my significant other for five years. We’re each other’s “person.” I’m more comfortable with him than I’ve ever been with anyone else, but there’s a catch. We’ve noticed a trend: that I’m better at taking care of myself when he’s not around. ...

Bulletin board

Legion fish fry Friday MARQUETTE — American Legion Post 44, 700 W. Bluff St., Marquette, will have fish fry from 5-7 p.m. Friday. On the menu, whitefish, shrimp or chicken strips and choice of baked potato or french fries. Salad bar is included with all meals. The public is invited. This ...

TV tug of war

Dear Annie. My husband and I have very different television interests. I tend to prefer prestige shows that require significant time and attention commitment. He tends to enjoy brainless sitcoms. He says he doesn’t have the attention span to sit and watch many of the large-scale prestige ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Knitting guild meeting this week MARQUETTE — The May meeting of the UP North Knitting Guild will be from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursday in Peter White Public Library Studio 2. Thursday’s meeting will be the class on cabling without a cable needle that was canceled from the April meeting. ...

Putting one’s best foot, shoe forward

Dear Annie: I’ve been working as professional for more than 10 years, and I’m arriving at the point in my career where I’m now responsible for spending more time meeting with clients. I’m excited for my continued growth and success, and I’m always seeking ways to grow. I have a ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Talk on memory, brain function set MARQUETTE — At 7 p.m. Tuesday, Dr. Bonnie Cronin will present a talk on Memory and Brain Care as part of the library’s Your Mind Matters series in the Peter White Public Library’s Heritage Room on the upper level. With extensive training in clinical ...

Can’t buy graciousness for any price

Dear Annie: My oldest is about to graduate from high school, and we are celebrating with a party. We plan on having our daughter write out a thank-you card to those who give her a gift and help celebrate her big day. However, last year, at several parties we attended, there was a sign that ...

Moms deserve love letters

Dear Annie: Over the years, I’ve read a number of beautiful Mother’s Day poems and notes in Ann Lander’s column. One that stood out began with something about a “one-in-a- million Mom” from her kids. It reminded me of my mom. Another one talked about a mom and dad getting ready for ...

Moms are honored

Dear Readers: Today is MOTHER’S DAY, a time to honor our moms and their influence on our lives. Take a moment to celebrate your mom. You don’t have to buy a fancy gift; just tell her you’re grateful for her. If she’s no longer with you, find another way to applaud moms everywhere. ...

She loves being a Mom but she sometimes is discouraged

Q: I love being a mom — usually. But sometimes I get discouraged in the middle of all the diapers and toddler messes and wonder if anything I do now will really matter when my little ones are all grown up. Jim: Let me ask this: If someone called you a “ditch digger,” how would you ...

Bulletin Board

‘Nise: The Heart of Madness’ shown MARQUETTE — Foreign Flicks, a program dedicated to contemporary films from around the world, presents the 2015 biographical drama “Nise: The Heart of Madness” at 6 p.m. May 20 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room. This is a BYO ...

The calendar

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

Meniscal tear in knee can be diagnosed without MRI

DEAR DR. ROACH: While chasing my cat, I dove to the ground and both my knees took a beating. They were bruised but felt fine. A few days after this, my left knee started to bother me. I put on a brace to see if that would help (as it usually does), but it didn’t. I went to my chiropractor a ...

How are bank accounts insured?

ASK THE FOOL Covered Banks Q: Are bank accounts insured? If so, how? — T.B., Batavia, New York A: They’re insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC), which was created in 1933 following a rash of bank failures. The FDIC insures checking, savings and money market ...

Job dissatisfaction is causing headaches for husband, wife

DEAR ABBY: My husband suffers from migraines and has never been happy in any job he’s had. He has tried every available treatment for his migraines, to no avail. He still has them daily. I think they may be partly psychological. In the 10 years we’ve been married, he has had six ...