Community

Critters in the classroom

MARQUETTE — Teachers use all kinds of tools and experiences to help their students learn. This year, Mrs. Sharon Parsons, the 3rd-grade teacher at Father Marquette Catholic Academy, has chosen to bring fun new live additions into her class. “Bringing animals into the classroom is a ...

Autumn delayed but will arrive

“There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart.” — Celia Thaxter The lowering angle of the sun remains a subtle reminder the summer-like temperatures are but a brief delay in the true progress of Autumn. It has seemed fall was put off or summer had simply stormed back with plenty ...

More greenery for Negaunee

NEGAUNEE — Bernie Rivers Memorial Field now has more foliage thanks to several community organizations. Two Red Sunset maple trees and a Greenspire linden tree were planted on Thursday at the field courtesy of the Negaunee Beautification Committee, which received a $2,400 grant from the ...

8-18 Media: Not your standard trip across the ‘Mighty Mac’

Now that the school year has started and students have been thrust back into the monotonous routine that is school, I’ve begun to reflect on my summer and the events that took place during it. I put in some hours at my work, played a lot of tennis, spent a week visiting family in Lombard, IL, ...

Christie’s Chronicles: ‘The Birds’ redux

A former colleague of mine once told me he didn’t watch a movie twice. Why? His thinking was that if he saw it once, that was that. He knew the plot, the spoilers and other things about the film. Seeing it again was not going to enhance that. Watching that movie was in his past, and he was ...

Autumn in the U.P. is time of change

“Change is a measure of time and, in the autumn, time seems speeded up. What was in not and never again will be; what is is change.” — Edwin Way Teale Autumn in the Upper Peninsula is definitely a time of change. Goldenrod and other flowers change to seeds. The leaves of maple, oak, ...