Community

U.P. Christmas memories can linger

By SUSAN PHARE BOBACK Special to the Journal My childhood Christmases were spent with both sets of grandparents - maternal on Christmas Eve, and paternal on Christmas Day or soon after. How fortunate we were to have both sets of grandparents in our home town, Ishpeming. We had my mother's ...

All lit up for Christmas

GLADSTONE —Thanks to Donations by the community of Delta County and the Upper Peninsula, Soo Line Steam Engine #730 has come alive again with Christmas lights and Ribbons and Bows. Located at the end of Delta Avenue and along highway U.S. 2 and U.S. Higway41 in Gladstone, the Engine has ...

Enjoying a winter walk

Victoria Frailing took this picture of her dog Archie enjoying a walk in Ishpeming. Did you take a great shot of the sunset over Teal Lake? Or did you happen to snap a captivating image of wildlife? The Mining Journal is accepting original local photo submissions from area residents who would ...

Traditional Christmas foods bring back memories

By Susan Phare Boback Special to the Journal ISHPEMING—Christmas traditions affect us all differently. For me, the foods of my heritage bring the memories alive from those precious moments of childhood when grandparents, aunts & uncles and my parents were all here celebrating ...

High-flying tourney

By Journal Staff NEGAUNEE — The Ishpeming Ski Club is prepping for the longest consecutively held ski jumping tournament in the country next month. The Ishpeming Ski Club’s 137th annual Ski Jumping Tournament held at the UP Nordic Ski Complex takes place from Friday through Sunday, Jan. ...