EDITOR’S NOTE: Superiorland Yesterdays is prepared by the reference staff at the Peter White Public Library in Marquette.
30 years ago
MARQUETTE — Volunteers at the Marquette Medical-Dental Center were honored with a luncheon at the Garden Room on May 24. The four were presented with gifts of appreciation by the Medical Center. Virginia Paulosky and Amy Froiland volunteered since 1985 and worked 149.5 and 133 hours this year, respectively. Joe Laurich volunteered since 1987 and worked 183 hours this year. Joyce Johnson joined the team in March of 1990 and donated 45 hours to date. The Medical Center is still looking for volunteers. Anyone interested, even for a few hours a week, may call Bonni Callanan, patient services coordinator.
60 years ago
TRENARY — A 60-year-old landmark in Trenary is disappearing from view. The weather-beaten red water tower that served the Soo Line railroad from the turn of the century has been sold to Hans Hallinen, who is dismantling it. It is recalled here by old residents that C.A. Tester was the first depot agent here. In 1900 the Soo Line only extended 4.5 miles north of Trenary to Spur No. 2. A few years later tracks were laid up to Eben Junction. With the coming of the diesel engines, the old water tower has had little use in the last few years. In January 1959, the depot here was discontinued, the last depot agent being Mrs. Flossie Green, who was transferred to Appleton, Wis. The depot recently was sold to Holmquist Feed Mill and is being used for grain storage.