Health department urges caution
MARQUETTE — The Marquette County Health Department is urging people to continue safe practices during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Under Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s Executive Order 2020-115, Michigan residents no longer are required to stay home. The health department acknowledges that many people are eager to go to places and gather with family and friends.
However, it reminds individuals they still are responsible for reducing the risk of further infection and ensure the health system capacity is not overloaded.
The health department said that people with no symptoms still could be carriers of the novel coronavirus, and public gatherings increase the likelihood of infection.
A second wave of infection in the community can be prevented if people continue social distancing, wear a face cover in public when they are unable to maintain a minimum of 6 feet distance from people outside of their household, and wash and disinfect hands frequently.
People also are asked to stay home if they feel sick. Individuals with COVID-19 symptoms, including fever, cough or shortness of breath, are encouraged to contact their health care provider by phone to explore testing options.
Yacht race canceled
The Chicago Yacht Club and the Race to Mackinac Committee have canceled the 2020 Race to Mackinac due to COVID-19.
Known as “The Mac” to regional residents, the 333-statute-mile or 289-nautical-mile race typically starts each July just off of Chicago’s Navy Pier and finishes at Mackinac Island.
“Since late February, our committee has been following a patient, pragmatic approach to understanding the imposed limitations required to comply with governmental guidelines as a consequence of the pandemic,” said Martin Sandoval, race chairman, in a news release. “Unfortunately, the crew limitations required to maximize social distancing which were adopted by the state of Illinois; no release of boating guidelines from the city of Chicago; and uncertainty as to when the Chicago lakefront and harbors will open, impacted our ability to conduct a safe race for all competitors.”
Starting in 1898 with only five boats, The Mac has evolved into a world-class sporting event.
The last year the race was canceled was 1920 in the aftermath of World War I. Since 1921, the Race to Mackinac has run every year, drawing up to 400 boats to the starting line each summer.
Food assistance available
Around 350,000 Michigan families will continue to have access to additional food assistance benefits this month as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Whitmer and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services announced.
Michigan previously approved the additional food assistance for March, April and May. It is now being extended for June with approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service.
Eligible clients will see additional food assistance benefits on their Bridge Card by June 30, with payments beginning for some households on June 20.
Additional benefits will be loaded onto Michigan Bridge Cards as a separate payment from the assistance provided earlier in the month.
Nearly 1.5 million people in Michigan receive federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits through the state’s Food Assistance Program.
Households eligible for Food Assistance Program benefits will receive additional benefits in June to bring all current SNAP cases to the maximum monthly allowance for that group size. This change only applies to customers not currently receiving the maximum benefit amount.
The 350,000 households that receive increased benefits represent close to 50% of the 729,669 of Michigan households that receive food assistance. The remaining households already receive the maximum benefit.
People who receive food assistance can check the balance of their benefits on their Michigan Bridge Card by visiting www.michigan.gov/MIBridges or a consumer service representative at 888-678-8914.





