Community

Gravaraet 60th reunion planned

MARQUETTE — The 60th reunion of the Graveraet High School class of 1963 will be held Aug. 18-20. Friday’s gathering will be at Barrel and Beam and Saturday’s dinner will be at Marquette Golf Club. Cost is $40 per person. Send registration to Roger Contois, 2325 W. Grove, Marquette, ...

Chamber Chat: A refocused and revised game plan

I’ve officially been the Executive Director of the Greater Ishpeming-Negaunee Chamber of Commerce for almost three full weeks on my own. Having been the former Marketing and Events Coordinator, I had a good sense of what type of role I was stepping into. Boy, was I wrong. Watching Bob and ...

Summer filled with the unexpected

“I have only to break into the tightness of a strawberry, and I see summer — its dust and lowering skies.” — Toni Morrison Summer has not produced the kind of season most have expected. In light of the stories the season has produced, it has come up a draw to many. While the ...

Delivery truck burns outside store

By Journal Staff MARQUETTE — A Country Hearth delivery truck fire caught on fire early Thursday morning at Super One Foods, located along U.S. 41 West in Marquette Township. The Marquette Township Fire Department said it received the report of the fire at 8 a.m., and responded with nine ...

Quick rescue for missing campers

By Journal Staff AU TRAIN — Three campers from the Hiawatha Boy Scout Camp in Au Train Township were quickly found after being reported missing on on Wednesday, the Alger County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release. At about 6 p.m., a call was received at the ACSO reporting that ...

MDOT gives Marquette County road construction update

By DREYMA BERONJA Journal Staff Writer MARQUETTE — Road construction projects in Marquette County are on schedule to be completed this fall. The Michigan Department of Transportation is investing around $5.7 million in joint repairs, resurfacing and safety improvements on 6.2 miles of ...