NMU women’s soccer loses 2nd straight 1-goal decision

By Journal Sports Staff

BEMIDJI, Minn. — The Northern Michigan University women’s soccer team lost its second game in three days by one goal with a 3-2 overtime loss at Bemidji State on Sunday.

The host Beavers scored the game’s first goal by Sara Wendt in the game’s 20th minute and that 1-0 lead held up for more than 50 minutes.

But the Wildcats (2-2) scored goals exactly two minutes apart in the 73rd and 75th minutes to take the lead.

The tying goal was scored unassisted by Ashley Koch, her second goal this season.

The go-ahead goal was scored by Isabela Cardoso, also unassisted, which was her first goal this campaign.

Then just as Northern didn’t need much time to turn a deficit into the lead, Bemidji didn’t take much time pulling back even to force overtime. That goal was scored in the 81st minute by Maggie Cade.

Though NMU was able to take the first shot of OT after a corner kick, a shot by Caroline Halonen that went high, the Beavers scored the game-winner 4:27 into the extra period from Wendt, who had scored the first goal and assisted on her team’s second.

Northern outshot their hosts in each half, 9-4 in the first and 10-8 in the second, to go with a 1-1 deadlock in OT for an overall advantage of 20-13.

NMU goalkeeper Shenae Kreps made four saves, while Bemidji counterpart Alyssa Stumbaugh had seven stops as both playing the entire game.

Halonen led the Wildcats with six shots total, including one on goal, while Pietila and Justina L’Esperance each had two shots on goal.

NMU begins its GLIAC season with a home game at 3 p.m. Friday against defending league tournament champion Grand Valley State, which defeated Northern 3-0 in the playoff finals in early May.

Information compiled by Journal Sports Editor Steve Brownlee. His email address is sbrownlee@miningjournal.net.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today