Marquette Redmen hockey team opens season with 1-2 record

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Senior High School varsity hockey team is 1-2 after a split downstate last weekend and a 3-0 home loss to Houghton on Tuesday.

Next up for the Redmen is a game in Escanaba at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Here is a roundup of MSHS’ first three games:


Bloomfield Hills Brother Rice 4, Marquette 2

Against the Bloomfield Hills team on Nov. 18, the Redmen scored both their goals in the second period as Brother Rice led 1-0 after one period and 3-2 after two.

The Marquette goals came with 14:45 remaining in the second by Brock Taylor as he was assisted by Owen Potulny and CJ Carter, and with 6:33 left in the same period on a shot by Tucker Welch with assists going to Rylan Ragusett and Ethan Phillips.

MSHS held a narrow 27-25 advantage in shots as Redmen goalie Cole Kelly made 21 saves.

No information was available about Brother Rice.


Marquette 3, Lake Orion 1

Against the Oakland County team last Saturday, Lake Orion scored the first goal before Marquette stormed back to make all of the rest of the changes on the scoreboard.

LO’s Sam Hanes beat MSHS goalie Parker Nevenhoven with a wraparound power-play tally for the only goal Nevenhoven would give up with 4:41 left in the opening period.

That play must’ve spurred Marquette’s Nash Riipi, though, as he needed less than four minutes to score the equalizer. With 48 seconds remaining in the period, Riipi took a rebound of a Jake Garrow shot and buried it past Dragons’ goalie Ethan Parraghi.

MSHS took the lead for good a little past the midway point of the second. With 6:31 left, Welch scored for a 2-1 lead as the Redmen had other chances to score but couldn’t get the puck past Parraghi.

Then in the third, Marquette’s Ian Sheltrow added an insurance goal, his first with the Redmen, with 11:38 to go as MSHS relied on its defense and Nevenhoven to keep the home team from catching up after that.


Houghton 3, Marquette 0

On Tuesday at Lakeview Arena, Kelly mostly held off an early onslaught by the Gremlins as Houghton peppered the MSHS goalie with 22 shots in the first period alone.

For the game, Houghton held a 31-20 shots on goal advantage as the visitors scored a goal each period.

“We had a good first five minutes of the first period, and then Houghton got their bus legs out and dominated the rest of the period,” MSHS head coach Doug Garrow said. “Cole Kelly kept us in the game, making 21 saves in the period.

“I thought we got better as the game went on, with our compete level and willingness to play more physically to try and slow Houghton down.

“The difference in the last two periods was Houghton goalie Bryant Lee shut down any Marquette scoring chance, which frustrated (our) players as the game went on.

“At the end of the day, we were not good enough to beat Houghton and got what we deserved, which was getting shut out at home in front of a great crowd.”

Houghton’s opening goal was scored by Landon Stevens with 1:42 left in the first period and assisted by Camden Markham.

The Gremlins made it 2-0 early in the second on a Mike Mallette goal as Gaborik Carlson assisted, and they got their final tally near the midpoint of the third when Stevens scored again, this time unassisted.

Information compiled by Journal Sports Editor Steve Brownlee. His email address is sbrownlee@miningjournal.net.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today