×

Superiorland Yesterdays

EDITOR’S NOTE: Superiorland Yesterdays is prepared by the reference staff at the Peter White Public Library in Marquette.

30 years ago

SKANDIA — A new solid waste transfer station serving Skandia and West Branch townships will start operations Saturday. The facility was built in the fall at a cost of $189,000 at the site of the old township landfill on Carlshend Road. The state paid 60 percent of the cost while each township paid about $39,000. “It’s well worth the money,” said West Branch Township Trustee Doreen Takalo. “It’s great not to have that worry hanging over us.” The townships will not provide curbside garbage pickup, but each household can transport a maximum of one cubic yard of refuse per week and has been given a card that will be punched at the transfer site. “We thought it would be the best way to keep track of it,” said Alice Anderson, trustee and treasurer at Skandia Township. A private contractor, Joel Collins of West Branch Township, has started a weekly curbside pickup service for residents unable to haul refuse themselves. About 28 customers so far are paying $6.75 a month to haul up to seven bags of trash. A ribbon-cutting ceremony is planned for 1 p.m. Saturday at the Skandia Community Center on Kreiger Drive.

90 years ago

NEGAUNEE– Continuing their efforts to make the student body of Negaunee schools 100 per cent immune to diphtheria, Dr. W. A. Mudge, city health officer, and Miss Ada Burt, supervisor of public health in the schools, will resume toxin anti-toxin clinics following the opening of school after the holiday vacation. Records show that already about 85 percent of the pupils have received the toxin anti-toxin treatments at clinics conducted during the past four years. It is the remaining 15 per cent that need attention. Vital statistics records of the state show that the death rate from diphtheria is highest among children of preschool age. Request blanks were sent out to parents of children who have not yet received the immunizing treatments. Exact dates for the clinics will be announced later.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today