No injuries in Luce County fire
LAKEFIELD TOWNSHIP — No injuries were reported in a residential structure fire that took place around midnight Monday in Luce County, according to a news release from the Michigan State Police Sault Ste. Marie Post.
When responders arrived at the Lakefield Township residence, the garage and two attaching dwellings were engulfed in flames, police said. The occupants, who were evacuated from the residence prior to the trooper’s arrival, were waiting nearby and were uninjured, according to the Michigan State Police.
The homeowner stated the “fire began in the garage from an unattended wood stove, which subsequently spread to the attached dwellings,” police said in the release.
The Newberry Fire Department and the Columbus Township Fire Department arrived on the scene at the residence and began to control the fire, eventually extinguishing it.
No further information is being released at this time, as the incident remains under investigation, police said in the release.
Michigan State Police troopers were assisted by the Newberry Fire Department, the Columbus Township Fire Department and Luce County EMS.