National Forest offers permits

GLADSTONE — Hiawatha National Forest offers recreation passes and/or fuelwood/firewood permits to visitors by appointment.

Many of the HNF facilities and services are free, but some require a permit to help maintain, manage and improve national forests and grasslands for future generations.

Fuelwood/firewood are free until Wednesday.

For more information on permits and passes, visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/hiawatha/passes-permits.

While passes are not required on the Hiawatha National Forest, the optional America the Beautiful Recreation passes allow the holder to receive reduced rates at participating recreation sites. They are the: Interagency Annual Pass, Interagency Annual Senior Pass, Interagency Annual Military Pass, Interagency Every Kid in a Park Pass, Lifetime Interagency Senior Pass and Lifetime Interagency Access Pass

The best way to purchase America the Beautiful passes is through the U.S. Geological Survey’s online store at https://store.usgs.gov/recreational-passes. They can also be purchased by appointment at a district office.

To make an appointment, call the appropriate district. If necessary, leave a message with your name and phone number and the call will be returned.

The Manistique, Munising or Rapid River districts can be reached at 906-387-2512 or 906-474-6442. The St. Ignace or Sault Ste Marie districts can be reached at 906-643-7900 or 906-298-0111.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)