Future court dates not yet set for former cops arrested on drug charges

MARQUETTE — The two former law enforcement officers arrested in early December took the next step in their court proceedings Thursday afternoon.

A preliminary examination for Richard Joseph Neaves and Todd Andrew Collins was scheduled in Marquette County’s 96th District Court yesterday afternoon, but according to Marquette County Prosecuting Attorney Matt Wiese both parties agreed that there was no need to hold the prelim.

Neaves, 31, of Marquette waived the preliminary examination meaning the case will be bound over to the 25th circuit court as it would have had the preliminary examination been held and the judge found probable cause.

Todd Andrew Collins, 36, of Negaunee is expected to enter a plea deal, Wiese added.

Future court dates have not yet been set.

Neaves and Collins were arrested on two-county felony warrants issued by the Marquette County Prosecutor’s Office. The arrests resulted from a three-month long investigation by the Michigan State Police Eighth District, Special Investigation Section.

Count 1 was conspiracy to commit controlled substance-delivery/manufacture (schedules 1, 2, 3 except marihuana, methamphetamine, ecstasy and cocaine), which is a seven-year felony and/or $20,000 and a $10,000 additional fine. The second count was using a computer to commit a crime, which carries a maximum imprisonment of four years or more but less than 10 years.

State police Det. Lt. Christopher Croley said the controlled substance was steroids, a schedule 3 drug.

Neaves was formerly an officer with the Marquette City Police Department and the Negaunee Police Department and Collins was an officer with the Marquette department, Croley said.

Both Neaves and Collins were arrested on the above charges on Nov. 21 in Marquette County and unable to post the required bonds. Both men were subsequently lodged at the Marquette County Jail and were later released after posting bond.

Both were arraigned on the charges Dec. 9 in district court by Judge Roger Kangas. Collins and Neaves remain free on bond pending their next appearance in court.