×

Transformer fire causes power outage in Marquette

MARQUETTE — The Marquette City Fire Department and the Marquette Board of Light and Power responded to a report that an electric pole transformer caught fire on the 1300 block of West Avenue between Mildred and Kildahl avenues Friday in Marquette.

Area resident Dirk Van Osdol called in the fire after he smelled smoke during an evening walk around the neighborhood.

“I was going for a walk on a different route than normal and I smelled the smoke,” Van Osdol said. “As I got here, I saw the flames and called 911.”

Capt. Brian Talvensaari from the Marquette City Fire Department said the pole “shorted out,” then caught fire. BLP staff members turned off part of the electrical grid before using a boom truck to get close enough to the transformer to extinguish the fire. As a result, some homes in the area lost power during this period. Capt. Talvensaari said that power was expected to be restored within an hour of when it went out.

Corey Kelly can be reached at 906-228-2500, ext. 243.