No injuries in Ishpeming fire

MARQUETTE — No injuries were reported in a structure fire that occurred in an Ishpeming building used for a medical marijuana grow operation. Responders arrived at 2:36 p.m. Wednesday to the blaze at 446 West Johnson St.

The building was unoccupied when the fire occurred and neighbors had called 911, with the Ishpeming and Ishpeming Township fire departments, and Marquette County Rescue 131 responding to the fire.

When responders arrived, there was heavy fire and smoke coming from the building’s front porch, extending to the roof of the building, a press release from responders said.

Officials said the power lines running to the building burned off, resulting in live wires on the ground, causing a “delayed fire attack,” according to a statement from the Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department.

Officials said they believe the fire to be electrical in nature and the structure was deemed a “total loss.”

Firefighters were on the scene for around three hours, officials said.