Fire damages Ishpeming home

ISHPEMING — No injuries were reported in a fire that damaged an Ishpeming home early this morning.

The Ishpeming Fire Department was called to 407 N. Maple Street at 4:15 a.m. today, according to an IFD press release.

Officials say the building’s first floor tenant was using a space heater to thaw frozen water pipes and called 911 when he noticed fire traveling up the interior wall near the heater.

All occupants of the first- and second-floor apartments safely exited the building prior to IFD’s arrival, the release states.

Upon arrival, firefighters found fire in the first floor’s wall cavity near a kitchen sink that had traveled to the second floor apartment of the home. Firefighters’ knocked down the fire quickly and ventilated the structure, the release states. Officials remained on-scene for about an hour checking for further fire extension, and cleared the area at 5:35 a.m. There was moderate smoke and water damage to the structure.

IFD was assisted at the scene by the Negaunee Fire Department, Marquette County 131 Rescue, the Ishpeming Police Department, UP Health System-Bell EMS and SEMCO. The Pigs & Heat Fire Relief Fund and the American Red Cross will be aiding the fire victims, officials say.