House fire reported in Marquette
MARQUETTE — A fire heavily damaged a house close to the Northern Michigan University campus Saturday afternoon.
The Marquette City Fire Department was dispatched to 1822 Van Evera Ave. in Marquette Saturday afternoon after receiving a report of a structure fire. When firefighters arrived, they found a corner of the structure fully engulfed in flames.
The MFD says that 24 firefighters were at the scene and were able to prevent a neighboring structure from catching fire.
A press release says that no residents were home at the time of the fire and all units cleared the scene at 5:42 p.m. without further incident.
The MFD was assisted at the scene by the Marquette Police Department, Marquette Township Fire, Chocolay Township Fire, UPHS 140 Unit, SEMCO and the Marquette Board of Light and Power.
Residents are receiving assistance from the Pigs-N-Heat Fire Relief Fund.