Man accused of bomb threat arraigned
MARQUETTE — Patrick Bassett, 70, of Marquette was arraigned Monday in Marquette County 96th District Court on charges of making a false bomb threat, a felony, and malicious use of a telecommunications device, a misdemeanor.
Bassett allegedly made a bomb threat at UP Health System-Marquette early Friday morning. At approximately 3:40 a.m., UPHS-Marquette contacted Marquette police reporting that an unknown male had contacted the hospital and claimed that explosives had been placed in the facility.
The hospital was placed into a lockdown while the facility was searched by officers, hospital security and the Marquette Police Department K-9, Odin.
Police said nothing suspicious was found and the lockdown ended at about 6:20 a.m. Friday.
An FBI press release from February 2012 indicated that a Marquette man named Patrick Bassett was convicted of making bomb threats at a New York high school in 2011. The report said that Bassett made the threat because the high school was attended by the daughter of his ex-girlfriend.
Bassett is being held on a $50,000 cash or surety bond. A probable cause conference was scheduled for 10:15 a.m. Dec. 14. A preliminary examination was set for 1:30 p.m. Dec. 19.