Fireplace blamed for house fire
MASONVILLE TOWNSHIP — Embers from a fireplace are being blamed for a fire that damaged a Masonville Township home Saturday, according to the Masonville Township. Fire Department.
At 5:17 p.m., Masonville firefighters was dispatched to 7953 Alger Delta 43rd Road for a structure fire. Upon arrival, heavy smoke was coming from the north and south peaks of the home. Embers had escaped the fireplace and started a rug on fire. The fire had burned the floor in front of the fireplace and the whole interior wall above the fireplace. The structure was saved, but had substantial smoke and water damage.
The homeowners were inside the residence at the time of the fire and were able to escape to safety with their children.
The Masonville Township Fire Department was assisted on scene by the Mathias Township Fire Department, Mathias First Responders, Rock River Township. Fire Department, Alger County Sheriff Department, Sault Tribe Law Enforcement, Alger/Delta Electric Company, Delta and Alger County Dispatch.
The American Red Cross was contacted and assisted the family with their needs.