EDITOR’S NOTE: Superiorland Yesterdays is prepared by the reference staff at the Peter White Public Library in Marquette.
30 years ago
MARQUETTE — Tuulikki Sayring was awarded a pin from Karen Kimar-Johnson, president, and Rose Tourville, committee chairman, of the Marquette Business and Professional Women’s Organization for being chosen “1987 Woman of the Year.”
She will be representing Marquette at their fall District 1 meeting, which will take place in Houghton. Sayring is an assistant bank manager with D&N Savings Bank in Marquette. She is a member of Bethel Lutheran Church Ishpeming; president-elect of the Marquette BPW; BPW District 1 legislative chairman; secretary of the Marquette County Democratic Party; a member of the center support committee for the Great Lakes Training Center Association; and a member of the U.P. Board of Realtors.
She also serves on the Easter Seals board and on the Marquette Area Chamber of Commerce commercial and tourism council.
60 years ago
MARQUETTE — Snider’s Delicatessen, one of Marquette’s most conveniently located and popular stores, is headquarters for party and home needs. The store, located at 519 W. Washington St., offers a wide variety of goods and groceries accompanied by friendly atmosphere and excellent service of employees. Snider’s is owned and operated by Mrs. And Mrs. John P. Snider. Mrs. Snider is the former Anna Morin of Marquette. The store building was remodeled from a family residence, and opened in June of 1939.
The Sniders have operated the store continuously since its opening. Besides Mrs. And Mrs. Snider, two boys are employed at the store on a part-time basis. They are Jim Dupras and George Wealton.