No injuries in Ishpeming house fire

ISHPEMING – An unattended candle is believed to be the cause of a house fire in Ishpeming on Sunday morning.

The City of Ishpeming Fire Department, Ishpeming Township Fire Department and Marquette County 131 were dispatched to 2004 Washington Street in Ishpeming after the homeowner and his grandson smelled smoke and found an upstairs bedroom engulfed in fire.

According to a press release he homeowner used a fire extinguisher in an attempt to knock down the fire, but “heat and smoke drove them outside the residence.”

No injuries were reported, according to the release. The structure was ventilated and fire crews remained on the scene for about an hour.

The Upper Peninsula Power Company, SEMCO, UP Health System Bell EMS and the Marquette County Sheriff’s department also assisted at the scene.