No injuries in Ishpeming blaze

ISHPEMING — The cause of a fire that left an Ishpeming residence with heavy smoke and water damage early Saturday morning remains under investigation.

According an Ishpeming Fire Department press release, firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire at 602 Bank St. at 12:47 a.m. after a neighbor saw the smoke and flames coming from the home and called 911.

According to the release, heavy smoke and fire were coming from the rear of the residence when firefighters arrived.

No injuries were reported as the sole resident of the home was at work at the time of the blaze, although the resident’s dog perished as a result of the fire.

Firefighters remained on scene for 2 1/2 hours and were assisted by Marquette County 131 Rescue, U.P. Health System, Bell EMS, the Negaunee Fire Department, the Ishpeming Police Department, and SEMCO and Upper Peninsula Power Company.