Kingsford breaks loose on key plays to blank Redmen, 21-0

Marquett’s Andrew Gale, right, tries to block Kingsford’s Tyler Beauchamp Friday evening at William R. Hart Stadium in Marquette. (Journal photo by Corey Kelly)


Journal Sports Writer

MARQUETTE — Trevor Povolo had two touchdowns on the evening as the Kingsford Flivvers marched into William R. Hart Stadium and stole a homecoming victory from the Marquette Redmen 21-0 on Friday night.

Povolo led the way with two rushing touchdowns as Kingsford improved to 4-1 on the season while Marquette fell to 2-4. The Redmen are also 1-2 and Flivvers 2-0 in the Great Northern Conference.

MSHS head coach Dave L’Huillier said while the Redmen had a solid overall performance, just a few plays hurt them.

“Defensively we weren’t bad, we just gave up a couple of big plays,” he said. “We can’t let those big plays happen. We had a turnover and all of a sudden they take it 68 yards for the touchdown.”

L’Huillier added that the Redmen offense showed strengths but couldn’t put the ball into the end zone.

“We were good in spurts but we were just too inconsistent,” he said. “The kids had great effort.”

Kingsford head coach Chris Hofer said the game was tough and hard fought.

“Both teams were really competing hard, I think both teams knew each other pretty well and it was a tough, hard-nosed competitive football game,” he said.

Hofer added that the Marquette defense remained strong in the first half before the Flivvers finally broke through.

It was a defensive battle throughout.

Kingsford had the ball to start. After running 12 plays on the first drive, the Flivvers found themselves with 4th-and-5 from the Redmen 7-yard line. The Flivvers went for the first down and quarterback Sawyer Perpich was forced to scramble before being taken down by Marquette’s Greyson Anthos for a turnover on downs.

In the second quarter, the Redmen went for it on 4th-and-3 from the Kingsford 30. Marquette running back Andrew Gale was stopped short, giving the Flivvers the ball back. On the first play of the ensuing possession, Povolo took a handoff 68 yards to the house for his first touchdown of the night with 4 1/2 minutes left before halftime.

On Marquette’s ensuing possession, the Redmen went three-and-out, forcing another punt. On the second play of the Kingsford possession, Perpich found Luke Terrian over the middle for a 52-yard touchdown to give the Flivvers the 14-0 lead with 2:40 left in the first half.

The Redmen had one more chance before halftime after quarterback Brendan Kaski completed a 41-yard pass to Adam Jenshak to set up 1st-and-goal from the 6.

With only 12 seconds remaining, Andrew Gale took the snap instead and looked to pass. He was forced to scramble and taken down a few yards short of the goal line. Marquette tried to spike the ball before the clock ran out but was unsuccessful.

Two plays into Kingsford’s initial possession of the second half, Terrian fumbled and the Redmen jumped on it to get the ball back.

Marquette put together a 10-play drive and was inside the Kingsford 35 before Kaski was intercepted by Kingsford’s Chase Kreski.

Marquette had 162 yards through the air and 75 on the ground for 237 yards of total offense. Kingsford also went 162 through the air but 225 on the ground for 387 total.

Kaski was 15 for 25 through the air while Andrew Gale led the way on the ground with 81 rush yards, six more than the team total. Jenshak had 100 yards receiving for the Redmen.

Perpich completed 6 of 10 passes for the Flivvers. Reliable rushing stats were not available for them.

On Friday, Marquette takes on Lakeland Union High School of Minocqua, Wisconsin, at 8 p.m. at the Superior Dome. Kingsford returns home for a game against Iron Mountain.

Email Ryan Spitza at