Best foot forward: Sophomore Trevor Salmon, senior Elijah Pickard kick 2 goals each in Marquette’s 4-1 win over Kingsford

Marquette senior Brenden Lindgren head bumps the ball in the Redmen’s high school soccer game against Kingsford on Thursday evening at William R. Hart Stadium in Marquette. (Journal photo by Corey Kelly)

MARQUETTE — Sophomore Trevor Salmon and senior Elijah Pickard each scored twice to lead the Marquette Senior High School boys soccer team to a 4-1 victory over Kingsford at William R. Hart Stadium on Thursday night.

The Redmen improved to 17-1 while the Flivvers fell to 11-2-1.

Marquette head coach Dan Menze said every player got a chance to play on Senior Night.

“Things are kind of coming together,” he said. “It was a special night because it was Senior Night, having all the seniors here and we were even able to get those guys that weren’t on varsity all year a decent amount of playing time.”

Menze added that playing on the artificial turf at the football field was unique, but something the team has to become accustomed to.

“It was awesome playing on the field here,” he said. “It was our first time playing on the turf all year.

“It’s a little different, it’s not quite as wide as we’re used to and that’s kind of our game is playing on the wings, but we were able to capitalize on some really nice breaks on the wings and we had some great center balls that we were able to put away early and often.”

Marquette got the scoring started 18 minutes in when Ben Garrow made a move up the left side to deke a defender before crossing it to Salmon, who kicked it in.

Just three minutes later, Ben Backlund put the Flivvers on the board with a kick-in to tie the game 1-1.

It was all Marquette after that, though. With 14 minutes left in the first half, Rory O’Connor was taken down inside the box, leading to a Redmen penalty kick. Pickard put the PK home for his first goal Thursday and giving the Redmen a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

Soon after play resumed, the Flivvers’ Kelby Olson and Riley Recia each received a yellow card for what looked to be arguing with the official.

Three minutes after the penalty kick, O’Connor passed the ball to Pickard, who put the ball in the net for his second goal of the night and became a 3-1 Redmen lead at halftime.

Pickard said the team played a strong and complete game.

“I think we played great,” he said. “We had some JV1 and JV2 (the two junior varsity teams) players and I think they stepped up and played great. It was tough at times, the communication dropped but overall we played a good, solid 80 minutes and enough to get the win.”

Just over five minutes into the second half, Salmon found open space and scored on a breakaway for his second tally of the night that became the final score.

Marquette striker Riley Lindberg said the match was hard fought and a little chippy at times.

“At times they knew they couldn’t match our skill, so they played a little rough,” Lindberg said. “We didn’t want to play down to their level. It was a great night of soccer, I think our team is fantastic and they’re a great group of guys.”

During an injury stoppage shortly after the fourth goal, Kingsford head coach Jeff Gordon was ejected after receiving yellow and red cards for arguing with the officials.

Six cards were issued throughout the contest.

Marquette is scheduled for a match at Kimberly, Wisconsin, though the date has been up in the air and is still uncertain. Kingsford travels to Eagle River, Wisconsin, for the Northland Pines Double Dual on Saturday.

Email Ryan Spitza at