National Hockey League confirms its players out of 2018 Olympics

PITTSBURGH (AP) — The NHL is heading to Asia next season. Just not the Olympics.

Commissioner Gary Bettman emphatically reasserted the league will not take a break next February to participate in the 2018 Winter Games in South Korea. The league previously announced it would skip going to Pyeongchang earlier this spring, a point Bettman bluntly reiterated on Monday.

“(We’ve seen) a number of comments from the (International Ice Hockey Federation) and player reps suggesting it was still an open issue, it is not and has not been,” Bettman said.

IIHF President Rene Fasel said the governing body was touching base with the NHL Players’ Association two or three times per week, hoping to work out a solution.