I have always been impressed with the wisdom contained in some of the quotes I have read or heard. I am sure we have all had that experience when we have heard or read something that we consider to be a great saying or quote, and then thought or said to ourselves, "Wow, that is great and I need to write that down."
Following is my 2014 review of some of the impressive quotations that I have come across and that I believe do carry some wisdom for all of us. Of course, quotations are made up of words, and we all need to understand and remember that the words we personally use can be very powerful.
The power of our words is noted brilliantly in these first quotes by a familiar author:
JIM SURRELL, M.D.
- "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." - Rudyard Kipling
- "For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." - Rudyard Kipling
- "Nothing can bring you peace but yourself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "There is real magic in enthusiasm. It spells the difference between mediocrity and accomplishment. It gives warmth and good feeling to all your personal relationships." - Norman Vincent Peale
- "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes." - Hugh Downs
- "In one minute you can change your attitude and in that minute you can change your entire day." - Spencer Johnson
- "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the Present." - Author Unknown
- "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge
Let me also share with you my personal quotation that I have prepared as to what the letters in the word, PERSISTENCE could possible mean for all of us:
P- Prioritize your goals
E- Enthusiasm is a major key to success
R- Review your progress
S- Study what others have done
I - Integrity will define your true character
S- Seek help when needed
T- Teamwork will lead to success
E- Eliminate obstacles by facing them head-on
N- Never, ever give up
C- Confidence will grow with each small step
E- Enjoy the ride along the way.
- "Life is short, live it. Love is rare, grab it. Anger is bad, dump it. Fear is awful, face it. Memory is sweet, cherish it." - Author Unknown
Editor's note: Dr. Jim Surrell, author of "SOS (Stop Only Sugar) Diet," has his practice at the Digestive Health Clinic at Marquette General Health System. Requests for health topics for this column are encouraged. Contact Dr. Surrell by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.