MARQUETTE - The YMCA of Marquette County received a $3,000 grant from Precor to support efforts to help children in Marquette County live healthier lives through implementation of Healthy Eating and Physical Activity standards in the Y's early childhood and afterschool programs.
Adopting these standards is part of the Y's commitment to First Lady Michelle Obama and the Partnership for a Healthier America to end the threat of childhood obesity.
"As a leading voice on improving the nation's health and well-being, the Y is helping to build a healthier future for children in our community," said Lisa Coombs-Gerou, CEO, YMCA of Marquette County, in a news release.
"YMCAs are one of the largest providers of early childhood and afterschool programs in the United States. We strive to also be the healthiest.
"By adopting these standards we come closer to our goal."
The YMCA of Marquette County serves 300 of children in Early Childhood and Afterschool programs every week.
The Healthy Eating and Physical Activity standards include:
- Only offering healthy options at Y-provided snacks and meals
- Providing a fruit and/or vegetable at all meals and snacks
- Providing milk and water as beverages
- Setting limits on screen time for duration and purpose
- Providing daily physical activity offerings, outdoors when possible
- Providing family-style meals and snacks
- Encouraging breastfeeding for infants in Y care
- Having adult's model healthy food and beverage choices and active play
- Committing Y's to conducting parent education to encourage healthy behaviors at home
"We believe there is no limit to the personal health and fitness goals one can attain when they have the support of the community around them," said Rob Barker, Precor President.
The YMCA of Marquette County is one of 50 YMCAs to receive a grant as part of an on-going national partnership between Precor and YMCA of the USA, the resource office for the nation's YMCAs, to support the implementation of HEPA standards.
Locally, the funding will support purchase of supplies and equipment and staff trainings that will help to create a healthy, sustainable environment in an early childhood or afterschool site.