MARQUETTE - A Big Sing, a benefit for animals and a tour of authors are all on tap this month:
The Negaunee Male Chorus, which has been singing in fellowship for 83 years, is hosting the 2014 Associated Male Choruses of America Wisconsin-Upper Michigan Big Sing at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26 at the W.C. Peterson Auditorium in Ishpeming.
The Negaunee Male Chorus practices in November at Negaunee High School. The Negaunee Male Chorus is hosting the 2014 Associated Male Choruses Wisconsin-Upper Michigan Big Sing April 26. (Journal file photo by Renee Prusi)
Peter White Public Library was the site of one of the stops of the 2011 U.P. Book Tour. At the 2011 event, judges from the panel picked out their favorite Upper Peninsula book, Michigan book and Michigan author to talk about and explain why they like them. The 2014 tour is this month. (Journal file photo)
Tickets are $10 and are available at all Peninsula Bank locations; Jubilee Foods and Tru North Credit Union in Ishpeming; Super One Foods in Negaunee; Tourville West and Tourville North in Marquette; from any chorus member; or at the door.
In addition to Negaunee, the other choruses scheduled to perform are from Rhinelander, Wis.; Milwaukee, Wis.; Munising; and Gwinn.
A Spring Barn Dance is being staged Sunday, April 27 at the Ore Dock Brewery in Marquette as a benefit for the Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter.
The event will feature 50s and 60s rockabilly, country and swing music by The Bad Luck Lullabies of Marquette; old fashioned bluegrass by Sparrow Tree of Marquette; and Roots Americana by the Starlight Minstrels of Duluth, Minn.
Food from Dia de Los Tacos will be available as well.
The event, which starts at 6 p.m., requests a $5 donation. It's an all ages evening of music.
For more information, visit facebook.com/events/275669519266632/?ref=22.
The 2014 Upper Peninsula-Michigan Book Tour will feature 28 authors at 17 events in 16 cities in its fifth edition.
Organizer Ron Riekki said this year's tour was made possible thanks to the Michigan Notable Book program of the Library of Michigan. All events are free to the public with the exception of the Michigan Notable Book award ceremony. Here is the schedule.
- Tuesday, 2-3:30 p.m., Paw Paw District Library, Paw Paw, Joy Gaines-Friedler, Joseph Gross, Arnie Johnston, Kim Kolbe, Ron Riekki, Alison Swan,books supplied by Kazoo Books
- Tuesday, 6:30-8 p.m., Van Buren District Library, Bangor, Joy Gaines-Friedler, Charmi Keranen, Kathleen McGookey, Ron Riekki, Alison Swan, books supplied by Kazoo Books
- Wednesday, 5:30-7 p.m., Richland Community Library, Richland, Patricia Clark, Arnie Johnston, Andy Mozina, Ron Riekki, Phillip Sterling, books supplied by Kazoo Books
- Wednesday, 7:30-9 p.m., Ransom District Library, Plainwell, Patricia Clark, Arnie Johnston, Ron Riekki, John Rybicki, Phillip Sterling, books supplied by Kazoo Books
- Thursday, 6-7:30 p.m., Reese Unity District Library, Reese, Ron Riekki, Alison Swan
- Friday, noon-1:30 p.m., Summerfield-Petersburg Branch Library, Petersburg, David James, Joel Lipman, Jane Piirto, Ron Riekki, Alison Swan
- April 26, 4:30 p.m.-8 p.m., Michigan Notable Book Ceremony, Library of Michigan, Lansing, featuring the 2014 Michigan Notable Book authors. Tickets available through the Michigan Notable Book.
- April 27, 2-3 p.m., St. Ignace Public Library, St. Ignace, Julie Brooks Barbour, Jennifer Burd, Darrin Doyle, Sue Harrison, Ron Riekki, Eric Torgersen
- April 27, 5-6:30 p.m., Rudyard Public Library, Rudyard, Alex Gubbins, John Gubbins, Ron Riekki, Eric Torgersen
- April 28, 11 a.m.-noon, Presque Isle District Library, Rogers City, Alex Gubbins, John Gubbins, Josie Kearns, Ron Riekki
- April 28, 2-3:30 p.m., Mackinaw Public Library, Mackinaw City, Jennifer Burd, Darrin Doyle, Gordon Henry, Josie Kearns, Ron Riekki
- April 28, 6:30-8 p.m., De Tour Village Public Library, De Tour Village, Ron Riekki (Michigan Notable Book event)
- April 29, 1-2:30 p.m., Tahquamenon Library, Newberry, Gordon Henry, Josie Kearns, Ron Riekki, Andrea Scarpino
- April 29, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Les Cheneaux Library, Cedarville, Gordon Henry; and 6:30-7:30 p.m., Ron Riekki (Michigan Notable Book event)
- April 30, 1-2 p.m., Falling Rock Cafe and Bookstore, Munising, Lisa Fay Coutley, L.E. Kimball, April Lindala, Ron Riekki, Andrea Scarpino
- April 30, 6:30-8 p.m., Portage Lake District Library, Houghton, Ron Riekki (Michigan Notable Book event)
Renee Prusi can be contacted at 906-228-2500, ext. 253. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.