ISHPEMING - More than $4,000 have been raised so far to help an Ishpeming woman who lost everything when her home was razed by fire late Wednesday night.
As of this morning, an online fire relief fund, set up by Linda Manninen on the "Go Fund Me" website, had raised $4,435 for the homeowner, Cara Zanetti.
Other fundraising efforts are under way on Zanetti's behalf as well. The Marquette County Pigs-N-Heat Fire Relief Fund and the American Red Cross have pitched in, and Deb McDonnell - who works as a social worker alongside Zanetti at Marquette's Lake Superior Hospice - has established a fund at SIR Federal Credit Union to help Zanetti with basic needs.
The remains are shown of an Ishpeming house that was destroyed by fire Wednesday. The greater Ishpeming community is pulling together to assist the owner of the house, Cara Zanetti, who lost everything in the blaze. (Journal file photo by Zach Jay.)
McDonnell said Zanetti is a wonderful person who is not the type to ask for help.
"She is the most giving person I've ever met, and always doing above and beyond for other people," McDonnell said. "And to have this happen to her - she is not one that wants people to take care of her, but we've told her that it's time for her to let others in the community take care of her in this devastating loss."
McDonnell said Zanetti doesn't want to miss work at Lake Superior Hospice, but she doesn't have any clothes to wear to work.
"She doesn't even have any clothes," McDonnell said. "She lost her cell phone. Everything she owns, she lost."
Zanetti's cat also died in the fire, and one of her dogs has been missing since the fire, a chocolate Lab reportedly having been seen running loose in the Negaunee-Ishpeming area.
People interested in making a donation to help Zanetti can do so at any branch of SIR Federal Credit Union, at Lake Superior Hospice or online at www.gofundme.com/7i9q6k.
Zach Jay can be reached at 906-486-4401.