ISHPEMING - An Ishpeming home is believed to be a total loss after a fire razed the structure late Wednesday night.
At about 11:40 p.m. Wednesday, the Ishpeming City Fire Department was called to a residence on the 400 block of Marquette Street. Firefighters arrived to find the house engulfed in flames.
Homeowner Cara Zanetti was asleep when the fire started, Fire Chief Ed Anderson said, adding Zanetti was awakened by the smell of smoke and by her three dogs. She was able to escape from her home with only minor smoke inhalation.
Ishpeming Fire Chief Ed Anderson directs a fire hose toward a hot spot in the remains of a house on the 400 block of Marquette Street in Ishpeming that was destroyed by a fire late Wednesday night. (Journal photo by Zach Jay)
"She was lucky to get out of there," Anderson said.
Zanetti was transported to Bell Hospital by Bell EMS. Anderson said one of Zanetti's dogs has been found, but two others are missing.
Two firefighters also suffered minor lacerations while battling the blaze and were treated and released at the Bell Hospital emergency room.
Officials said they believe the fire started in a fireplace on the first floor of the house.
Responding to the fire were 21 firefighters with three fire trucks. They spent about four hours on the scene and were assisted by Marquette County Rescue Unit 131, Ishpeming city police and Bell EMS.
The Ishpeming Fire Department was called back out to the scene shortly after 8 this morning to put out a hot spot that had rekindled. Anderson said he was surprised to find there was only a single flare-up so far, considering the way the house had folded in on itself, created layers and dangerous pockets where the fire could smolder.
The Pigs-n-Heat Fire Relief Fund and the American Red Cross will offer assistance to Zanetti.