MARQUETTE - Organizations ranging from a local warming shelter to a dune restoration project were the recipients of the Marquette County Community Foundation's fall 2013 grants.
Checks were handed out Thursday in the Little Theatre at Marquette Senior High School.
The foundation holds a wide variety of funds, each established in a unique way and created according to the wishes of the donor.
Gail Anthony, the foundation's chief operating officer, said, "It is truly a privilege to distribute the fund earnings to these vital community organizations. We are blessed to live where the culture of generosity is established and valued."
Maura Davenport, secretary to the foundation's board of trustees, said, "(Thursday) night was probably the highlight of my time with the Marquette County Community Foundation."
Recipients, their donors and the grant amounts from the Marquette Fund were:
- Lake Superior Theatre Scholarship Program, Helen Campbell Shilinger Youth Music Fund, $500
- Superior Watershed Partnership Marquette Dune Restoration Project, Fund for Marquette, $500
- Marquette Arts and Culture Master Plan, Adult Amateur Arts, Music and Culture Fund, $500
- U.P. Honor Flight, Fund for Marquette, $1,000
- Lake Superior Hospice, Health and Wellness Fund, $1,000
- Room at the Inn, Fund for Marquette, $1,000
- Harbor House, Fund for Marquette, $1,000
- Marquette Symphony Orchestra - Child's Requiem, Helen Campbell Shilinger Youth Music Fund/Adult Amateur Arts, Music and Culture Fund, $300 and $1,000
- Marquette History Center - Original Theatrical Production Project, Adult Amateur Arts, Music and Culture Fund, $1,500
- Lutheran Social Services Voices for Youth - Transitional Living Program, Homeless Prevention Endowment, $1,600
- MooseWood Nature Center - Shipboard Education Project, Robert and Lottie Clark Fund, $1,900
- Marquette City Band - Summer 2014 Festival, C. John Peterson Family Fund, $2,000
- Upper Peninsula Substance Enforcement Team - Undercover Vehicle Project, Fund for Marquette, $2,000
- Marquette Senior High School Robotics Team Competition, Exchange Club for Marquette/Robert Eric Daniel Soderberg Fund/Fund for Marquette, $681, $1,016 and $803
- Teaching Family Homes of Upper Michigan, Health and Wellness Fund, $3,078
Youth Advisory Committee grants recipients and grant amounts were:
- Marquette Senior High School Arts - Shrek, The Musical, $500
- Books to Promote Reading - Powell Township School, $600
- Teaching Family Homes of Upper Michigan's Miles for Smiles Cafe, $1,000
- Marquette Senior High School Robotics Team, $1,000
- Jobs for America's Grads, $1,075
- U.P. Community Rowing Club, $1,095
- Care Clinic - Safe Sleep for Baby Project, $1,500
- U.P. Children's Museum - Playmakers Named Scholarship Program, $1,500
- MooseWood Nature Center - Immerse, $1,600
- Lutheran Social Services Voice for Youth, $1,953
- Lake Superior Youth Theatre - equipment and scholarships, $1,500 and $1,900
For more information about the foundation, call 226-7666 or visit www.marquettecountycommunityfoundation.org.
Christie Bleck can be reached at 906-228-2500, ext. 250. Her email address is email@example.com