To the Journal editor:
I wanted to express my gratitude to the members of the Gwinn volunteer fire department who responded to my call Saturday night and put out a fire that was smoldering in the roots of a tree on a small island I own on Little Lake.
It had apparently been lit by a fishermen who wanted to cook his walleye immediately, and wasn't too careful in putting out the campfire after his meal.
The firemen only had my canoe to get out to the island and had to deal with pitch black darkness and icy water.
They handled the problem efficiently and made sure the fire in the roots was completely extinguished.
If allowed to spread I could have lost all the trees on the island. It's good to have people who are willing to deal with small problems before they get big.