ISHPEMING - An Ishpeming man, charged with open murder and a felony firearm charge in connection with the shooting death of a man in June 2012, refused a plea offer from the Marquette County Prosecutor's Office Wednesday.
Jacques Earl Carpenter, 52, allegedly shot and killed 29-year-old David Scott Meyer Jr. of Ishpeming after an argument on June 8 of last year. Both men were tenants of 409 N. Second St., where Meyer was shot.
Carpenter appeared in 25th Circuit Court in Marquette for a final pretrial conference Wednesday.
It was the last opportunity for the prosecution and defense to come to a plea agreement, Marquette County Prosecuting Attorney Matthew Wiese said. "We put on the record that there was a plea offer and he rejected it, and we're proceeding to trial on Sept. 24."
Wiese said he offered Carpenter a plea of manslaughter, a 15-year felony. With any plea offer now off the table, Carpenter faces a potential sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted.
Wiese said the charge of open murder allows the jury to decide whether or not the defendant is guilty of first-degree murder, second-degree murder or manslaughter.
The trial will begin Sept. 24 at the 25th Circuit Court in Marquette.
Zach Jay can be reached at 906-486-4401.