MARQUETTE - Local senior citizen centers continue to have activities, even in the hottest months of summer.
For instance, the Negaunee Senior Center staff is hosting Senior Appreciation Day at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the center, as part of Negaunee's annual Pioneer Days celebration. Seniors are invited to the center to enjoy refreshments as well as a performance by the 2013 Pioneer Princess Pageant candidates.
The event is at no charge to senior citizens.
A group from the Ishpeming Senior Center visits Lakenenland, which is east of Marquette. Another group is visitng the sculpture park this year. (Journal file photo)
Seniors play cribbage at the Negaunee Senior Center, one of the activites that’s ongoing at the center. (Journal file photo)
Here are some other July events at local centers, listed by location:
- U.P. Home Health screenings will be offered from 11 a.m. to noon Friday and again July 24 at the Forsyth Senior Center. Screenings are free for blood pressure and blood sugar and are $5 for cholesterol.
For more information:
Marquette County senior center phone numbers:
GWINN 346-9862; ISHPEMING 485-5527; MARQUETTE 228-0456; and NEGAUNEE 475-6266
- The Caregiver Support Group will meet at 1 p.m. Monday at the center.
- The Diabetic Support Group meets at 1 p.m. July 15 at the center.
- Arcadia Foot Care, by appointment only, is set for July 19. Call 346-9862 for an appointment.
- Tai Chi classes will be offered by Northern Michigan University instructor Maria Formolo at 3:30 p.m. July 9 and 16 for those who pre-register.
- Treat Social from 1 to 3 p.m. July 12 along with a U.P. Home Health blood pressure clinic. Cost for the treat is $1.75.
- Lakenenland Bus Tour, leaving the center at 10 a.m. July 15. Cost is $1 for the bus plus whatever the individual wants to spend for lunch. The restaurant will be chosen by tour participants the day of the event.
- Studio 320: Experience of Art is presented at 2 p.m. July 20 and 27.
- Dessert Social from 1 to 3 p.m. July 26. Cost $1.75.
For more information on offerings at the Ishpeming Senior Center, call 485-5527.
- Blood pressure screening will take place from 1-3:00 p.m. July 16. The nurses from U.P. Home Nursing will offer blood sugar testing (free of charge ) and cholesterol screening (for $5) from 1-3 p.m. July 18.
- Senior Fitness is offered every Monday and Friday at 10:30 a.m. in Room A at the Senior Center. Low impact exercise is offered at a pace everyone can handle.
- Wii Bowling is offered in the lobby of Lakeview Arena at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
- Tai Chi Summer Session has began at 9 a.m. every Tuesday and Thursday mornings beginning in the Baraga Gym. No class today due to the Fourth of July holiday.
For information on other Marquette programs and classes, contact the senior center office at 228-0456.
- Days of Energy Savings, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 15 and 16, Efficiency United along with the local utility company, will sponsor an energy saving event, providing customers with the chance to purchase energy-efficient products at greatly reduced prices.
- The Negaunee Senior Center is having a fundraiser at Buffalo Wild Wings in Marquette from 5 to 9 p.m. July 17.
With use of a yellow coupon - available at the center - 15 percent of all pre-taxed, non-promotional-discount sales will be donated to the Negaunee Senior Center.
The BWW guest must have the coupon to give to the server at the time of order. Coupons are available for pick up at the center. Call 475-6266 for more information.
Renee Prusi can be contacted at 906-228-2500, ext. 253. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.