MARQUETTE- Cliffs Natural Resources will be supporting 17 Marquette County organizations with donations from the Cliffs Foundation.
The Cliffs Foundation has awarded donations $252,900 for 2013, according to a press release. The foundation focuses on four primary areas of benefit to the community, including education, health and human services, cultural resources and civic-related projects.
"Cliffs has a long history of providing support to the communities where we maintain operations,' said Jennifer Huetter, Cliffs' district manager of public affairs in Michigan. "Through the Cliffs Foundation, the company is able to make significant contributions to organizations providing support for worthwhile community projects and programs."
Among 17 Marquette County organizations that will receive donations from the Cliffs Foundation is the Carnegie Public Library in Ishpeming, which will use the funds for building improvements that include barrier free access upgrades like the ramp shown above. (Journal file photo by Adelle Whitefoot)
Organizations that will receive contributions from the Cliffs Foundation this year include:
- Marquette General Health Systems linear accelerator - $50,000
- Ishpeming Carnegie Public Library building improvements - $5,000
- Superiorland Cross Country Ski Club warming hut - $10,000
- Marquette Regional History Center capital campaign - $5,000
- Ishpeming Ski Club ski hill improvements - $5,000
- Noquemanon Trail Network trail improvements - $5,000
- Lake Superior Community Partnership Chairman's Circle - $5,000
- Marquette Area Skate Plaza Committee capital campaign - $10,000
- Great Lakes Center for Youth Development program support - $25,000
- Iron Ore Heritage Recreation Authority - $200,000 (over four years)
- Great Start Collaborative Marquette and Alger program support - $20,000
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Marquette and Alger program support -$10,000
- City of Ishpeming, Lake Bancroft project - $10,000
- Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society - $5,000
- FinnFest USA 2013 celebration sponsorship - $5,000
- Women's Center/Harbor House - $25,000 (over two years)
- Negaunee High School football scoreboard - $4,400
In addition, the foundation provides annual support for several local organizations totaling $17,000, according to a press release.
Checks from the Cliffs Foundation will be distributed over the next few months. Applications are being accepted for contributions in 2014. Guidelines for the Cliffs Foundation can be found at www.cliffsnaturalresources.com.
Adelle Whitefoot can be reached at 906-228-2500, ext. 243.