MARQUETTE - A fire that engulfed a garage in Manistique Thursday afternoon, destroyed nearly everything inside the building, but caused no injuries.
According to a written statement from the Manistique Public Safety Department, a call was placed at 3:55 p.m. Thursday by Michelle Goudreau, who was home with her children at the time, and noticed smoke coming from her unattached garage.
The residence, located on 3360 W. River Road in Manistique Township, is owned by Ronald and Michelle Goudreau.
When the Manistique Public Safety and volunteer fire officers were dispatched to the residence, they found the garage engulfed in smoke, with fire pouring from the northeast corner of the building.
The garage, which police described as a "very large pole barn" contained a vehicle, snowmobiles, a boat and numerous other personal belongings, all of which are considered a total loss due to the intensity of the fire. It took firefighters approximately 20 minutes to bring the blaze under control, and more than an hour to extinguish numerous hot spots within the building.
No one was injured in the fire.
An investigation determined the fire began in the northeast corner of the garage and is believed to have been electrical, but remains undetermined at this time, police said.
The Doyle Township Volunteer Fire Department assisted at the scene, which was cleared by 5:50 p.m.
Jackie Stark can be reached at 906-228-2500, ext. 242.