Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Affiliated Sites | Home RSS

Mountaineers pull out milestone soccer win via penalty kicks at Redmen’s expense

September 5, 2012
By BURT ANGELI , Iron Mountain Daily News

KINGSFORD - Iron Mountain's relatively new high school boys soccer program reached a milestone Tuesday.

The Mountaineers forced overtime with a tying goal in the final 10 minutes and nailed all five of their penalty kicks in a shootout to beat Marquette for the first time since the sport was added in 2010. The Redmen hit on four of five penalty kicks.

"The boys just played their hearts out," said Mountaineer coach Rob Bogaudo, admitting to some stressful moments when the teams scrapped to a 2-2 draw. "They played a great game and beat an outstanding team. I'm really proud of them. These boys deserve it."

Article Photos

Marquette’s Chad Ross, left, and Iron Mountain’s Nick Brule battle for the ball in Tuesday’s match at Commemorative Field. (Iron Mountain Daily News photo by Theresa Peterson)

Marquette owned a 2-1 lead in the second half after goals from freshmen Logan Zueger and Lehomm Pickard. That margin held up until a penalty kick by IM's Nick Brule hit the back of the net with eight minutes left in regulation.

Brule along with Max Frorenza, Sawyer Kujala, David Bogaudo and Sam Carey nailed penalty kicks after two scoreless five-minute overtime sessions.

"It's an awesome feeling," said Brule, one of eight Mountaineer seniors. "We lost to them in PKs last year so it's really great to get them back this year.

"It's a great win for our seniors who haven't beat them."

Rob Bogaudo picks five kids who don't miss penalty kicks in practice to fill that role in the match.

"Either the goalie is going to save it or they're not going to miss it," Bogaudo said of his five. "It's not going to be off to the left or off to the right."

Marty Gray, Billy Mullett, Pickard and Chad Ross found the net in Marquette's penalty kicks.

"Iron Mountain has a good team," Marquette coach Matt Tebo said. "We played well and they also played well.

"Iron Mountain stayed with it, fought and never put their heads down. They thought they could beat us and today it worked out."

The pivotal play was a second-half hand ball infraction committed in the penalty box area. Brule banged home the penalty kick for a 2-2 tie.

"We got a break there," Bogaudo said.

"It's tough to concede like that when you're up and time is dwindling down," Tebo said.

Brule followed his usual pattern for penalty kicks.

"I go to the same place every time," Brule said. "That's where I'm going to go and I put it there. If he saves it, he saves it."

Mountaineer goalie Max Frorenza turned away 20 Marquette scoring attempts. The Redmen fired 35 shots overall.

"Max, obviously, outstanding goalie," Bogaudo said. "If the ball gets past him, it wasn't his fault, plain and simple. It was somebody made an error or it was just a good play, and Marquette had two good plays on us."

Tebo wanted more pressure on the Mountaineers.

"I think we gave them a little too much time to make decisions," he said. "We had a couple chances that we could have finished. They had a couple chances they could have finished."

Marquette goalie Tony Lackey was stout as well, repulsing seven of Iron Mountain's 15 attacks.

Iron Mountain opened the scoring at the 9:12 mark of the first half with a cross from Sam Carey to Sawyer Kujala. Carey broke his leg in last year's home match with Marquette.

"We passed the ball really well, controlled the ball decently and played solid defense," said Brule, who sat down for a portion of the second half after he was handed a yellow card.

Sophomore Max Bednarek and Pickard assisted on Marquette's two goals.

"We have got some work to do on defense," Bogaudo said. "Marquette has a habit of working the ball down one side, crossing it all the way over to the other side where there's not so many defenders and we got burned on it twice.

"That will not happen again. That's something we will work on in practice."

Bogaudo pointed to those practice sessions as a key to knocking off Marquette.

"These kids have been together and are playing great in practice," Bogaudo said. "There's just phenomenal soccer being played in practice and they're working hard at it."

Marquette already has Sept. 25 circled on the calendar. That would be the next match with Iron Mountain.

"If I were them, I wouldn't get used to it because we're going to come back hard the next time," Tebo said. "It was an evenly matched game and they're a good team.

"We come here all the time and it's always hard no matter what the rosters look like. We could each bring eight-year-old kids and it will still be a great game. I always know it's tough coming here."

Bogaudo also realizes the battles with Marquette will continue.

"We have them three more times this year," he said. "It's not over."

Marquette (3-2-3) hosts Sault Ste. Marie at 1 p.m. Saturday.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web