Mary Beth Niemi of Sandy Knoll Elementary School had these comments on her experience with the Healthy Weight Journal 6: Workplace Challenge:
- Why did you join the program?
I was ready to take control of my health and thought being a part of a team of co-workers working towards healthier lifestyles with the support of experts from AdvantedgeSports and MGH would be a good way to do it. I was right.
Mary Beth Niemi
- Did you reach your goal?
Yes, I've reached my weight goal and my blood sugar and cholesterol levels have improved dramatically.
- How did you change your eating habits?
Mary Beth Niemi
Cholesterol: 181 (was 218)
Blood pressure: 116/84 (was 127/80)
Blood Sugar: 98 (was 135)
Body Fat: 29.4% (was 37.1)
BMI: 21.4 (was 24.6)
Final Weight: 128.4 pounds
Weight Lost: 13 pounds
I focused on eating healthier snacks and meals that include more fruits and vegetables.
- What type of exercise routine did you participate in to aid in your weight loss?
I worked out with a trainer at Advantedge Sports and started walking and hiking with my husband.
What was the biggest obstacle to overcome?
I needed to change my way of thinking from what I thought I couldn't do, exercisewise, or what I couldn't eat, to what I can do and what I can eat. Looking at it from a positive aspect has made a world of difference.
- What kind of feedback have you received from the publicity of being a participant in the program? Who have you influenced to lose weight?
The ongoing positive feedback and support from my friends and co-workers has been wonderful and appreciated. I feel the coverage in the Mining Journal has led to many positive conversations with people in the community.
- Here is a quote from my biggest supporter, my husband. "I'm proud of Mary Beth and what she's accomplished in the last few months. She's really become dedicated to a healthy lifestyle."
- What are your plans to stay on track and continue this new healthy lifestyle in the future?
I am continuing to work with a trainer at Advantedge Sports, along with exercising on my own. My family and I are all focused on healthy eating.
- Would you recommend this program to other people? Why?
Definitely! Those who know me know that before participating in this program, I had never willingly eaten a sweet potato or gone for a hike. This has truly been a life-changing experience!