News

Academic achievement, development awards presented

Front Page News

The 24th annual Academic & Professional Development Awards ceremony was held at Northern Michigan University Monday evening, as a part of Excellence in Education Week. Students and teachers of Marquette County were recognized for their educational talent and merit during the program. ...

City OKs travel reimbursement

Local

MARQUETTE — The Marquette City Commission at a meeting held earlier this month unanimously approved travel reimbursement for commissioners for their trip to Lansing to attend the Michigan Municipal League Conference in March. Commissioners also unanimously approved a small property purchase ...

Space available on sister city trip

Local

MARQUETTE — Marquette area residents interested in visiting Marquette’s Japanese Sister City of Higashiomi this year should contact Paulette Lindberg, vice chair of the Marquette Area Sister Cities Partnership or stop by the Marquette Arts and Culture Center in the lower level of the Peter ...

Police log

Local

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following information is collected from Marquette City Police Department dispatch log books recorded at the time the calls were received. The incidents reported may have proven to be unfounded once police investigated. Some log entries may be edited or omitted due to space ...

Struggling in Michigan

Front Page News

LANSING — While state officials celebrate the plunge of Michigan’s unemployment rate from its 14.9 percent peak in 2009 to around 5 percent, nearly half of Michigan families are still struggling to meet their basic needs. Some 40 percent of Michigan households, or 1.53 million, are ...

The calendar

Community

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Weather

Records

Marquette and vicinity: Tonight, mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. South wind 5 to 15 mph. Tuesday, a 20 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 66. South wind around 10 mph. Tuesday night, rain. Low around 42. East wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent. ...

State agency collects input for policy plan

Front Page News

MARQUETTE — People with disabilities can face complicated barriers to housing, work, transportation and other aspects of life that other people may take for granted or never get to see. That’s why the Michigan Statewide Independent Living Council is working on a plan, along with partner ...

Bulletin Board

Community

Seminar on energy costs coming up ISHPEMING — Today, TruNorth Federal Credit Union will partner with the city of Ishpeming, Semco Energy and CLEAResult to present a seminar on reducing utility costs. The seminar will be free for all attendees, and will be hosted at River Rock Lanes and ...

Vessels

Records

MARQUETTE — The Honorable James L. Oberstar was expected at 9 a.m. today at the Lake Superior & Ishpeming ore dock in Marquette’s Upper Harbor. Due at 6 p.m. today is the James L. Kuber. The Joseph H. Thompson is due at 1 p.m. Tuesday.

Township board continues ambulance service discussion

Front Page News

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Township Board has unanimously directed its staff to gather additional information surrounding the potential purchase of an ambulance that would be operated by its fire department, and is expected to schedule a public hearing soon when board members will consider ...

Pound

Records

Found and lodged at the Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter in Negaunee Township was a short-haired gray and white male tabby found at K.I. Sawyer. Call 475-6661 or visit upaws.org to find out about animals waiting for adoption. Found and lodged at the Alger County Animal Shelter in ...

Municipalities’ fiscal outlook is gloomy despite economy

Front Page News

LANSING — Eight years into Michigan’s economic recovery, the fiscal outlook is still unnerving for municipalities seen as ill-equipped to withstand the next recession. Despite continued job growth and record auto sales, the state’s per-capita personal income lags the national average ...

Lottery

Records

Sunday DETROIT (AP) _ These Michigan lotteries were drawn Sunday: Poker Lotto KH-6D-7D-6S-8S Midday Daily 3 6-1-0 Midday Daily 4 5-1-0-2 Daily 3 5-8-5 Daily 4 4-4-9-6 Fantasy 5 05-07-25-26-35 Estimated ...

BB gun damage investigated

Front Page News

MARQUETTE — A number of vehicles sustained damage overnight after being struck by a high-powered BB gun, police say. The Marquette City Police Department is investigating a string of malicious destruction of property incidents throughout the city and Marquette Township Detective Capt. ...

Cosmonaut killed when parachutes fail in 1965

Records

Today is Monday, April 24, the 114th day of 2017. There are 251 days left in the year. Today’s Highlight in History: On April 24, 1967, Soviet cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov was killed when his Soyuz 1 spacecraft smashed into the Earth after his parachutes failed to deploy properly during ...

Aspen Ridge students clean up U.S. 41 roadside

Local

Jim Maki’s seventh grade earth science students from Aspen Ridge Middle School in Ishpeming conducted a roadside cleanup Friday in anticipation of Earth Day, which was Saturday. Click on the photos for more details.

Area students and teachers receive Excellence in Education Awards

Spotlight

MARQUETTE — Forty seven area high school seniors will be recognized for their academic achievement and 25 educators will receive professional development awards during the 24th annual Excellence in Education Week program today. The students represent the top 5 percent of their graduating ...

What’s happening

Spotlight

TODAY - Excellence in Education Week Awards Recognition Program at Northern Michigan University, Marquette • Welcome - Amy Quinn, CEO, Great Lakes Center for Youth Development • Masters of Ceremony - Michael Fedrizzi, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Meagen Morrison, Eagle ...

Ishpeming City Council continues talks on equipment millage

Local

ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming City Council will continue discussions about a proposed equipment millage for the city’s Public Works and Fire Departments during a special meeting at 4 p.m. Tuesday in the City Hall Conference room. The council will consider modifying the amount of the $1.6 ...