EDITOR’S NOTE: Superiorland Yesterdays is prepared by the reference staff at the Peter White Public Library in Marquette.
30 years ago
MUNISING — 13 wooden spindles fan out in unison, each a copy of a single baluster left when the black walnut bannister at the AuSable Lighthouse keeper’s quarters was smashed by vandals. They have been fabricated by Armin Gollannek, owner of Northern Sun Woodworks. Recreating the bannister is part of an ongoing historical restoration of the keeper’s quarters on the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Eventually, the old building will be brought back to its 1910 condition. The house dates to 1874, but the park service opted to use the later date as a restoration point. Gollannek has yet to fabricate the remaining 37 spindles, which are of different lengths from the 13 copies he has already finished. The railing will have to be fitted into place and measurements taken before they can be completed.
60 years ago
MARQUETTE — They’re usually not considered one of the top tourist lures of the Upper Peninsula, but the Marquette State Prison’s gardens probably are visited by as many sightseers as some of the region’s better known attractions. Prison grounds superintendent for the last 10 years, Charles J. Fassbender, and the 35 trustees who work around the grounds under his supervision believe their year-round work efforts have helped produce a “front lawn” that dispels the somber and bleak atmosphere that usually surrounds a penal institution. Something like 12,000 plants can be counted in the 36 flower beds in the sunken garden.