Ishpeming structure damaged by fire

ISHPEMING –A two-story structure in Ishpeming was damaged as the result of a fire early this morning.

In response to a 12:39 a.m. call from Marquette County Central Dispatch, the Ishpeming Fire Department responded to a fire in a two-apartment structure at 343 S. Main St., an IFD press release states.

Firefighters evacuated an occupant from the first-floor apartment of the residence upon observing smoke coming from the roof ridge and attic vents of the structure, officials say.

Firefighters found fire in the wall between a secondfloor bathroom and kitchen that had extended into the attic, the release states.

Officials say the fire was quickly extinguished and firefighters remained on scene until 2:15 a.m. checking for flare-ups.

The fire resulted in moderate smoke and water damage to the structure. There were no working smoke alarms at the time of the fire, which was reported by a neighbor who noticed smoke coming from the roof of the home in the area of South Main Street and called 911.

No injuries were reported and the fire remains under investigation.

IFD was assisted at the scene by the Negaunee Fire and Police departments, Ishpeming Police Department, the Upper Peninsula Power Co. and SEMCO.