Gutzman bound over

Murder case moves to Marquette County Circuit Court


MARQUETTE — Darrell Wayne Gutzman, accused of fatally stabbing his girlfriend at a K.I. Sawyer residence in December, appeared in the Marquette County District Court Wednesday afternoon for a preliminary examination.

Gutzman, 51, is charged with one count homicide, open murder, in connection to the Dec. 15 incident that claimed the life of 53-year-old Robbin Lampinen.

Prosecuting Attorney Matt Wiese called three witnesses to the stand Wednesday.

First to take the stand was Officer Justin Wonch of the Forsyth Township Police Department, who was among the first to arrive on scene at the Dart Street residence.

Wonch said he entered the home and discovered blood on the walls and floor, leading upstairs to what he said appeared to a be the master bedroom.

There, he said he discovered Lampinen’s lifeless body on the floor. Wonch said she did not have a pulse, and he observed a stab wound on her stomach.

Wonch said the suspect, later identified as Gutzman, was not in the home upon police arrival.

Dr. Scott Kantola, a pathologist at UP Health System-Marquette who performed an autopsy on Lampinen, was next to testify.

Kantola said he found more than 20 stab wounds on Lampinen’s body, reportedly inflicted by a serrated knife with a 4-inch blade, as well as various scratches, abrasions and contusions.

The cause of death, as determined by Kantola, was loss of blood from multiple stab wounds, and the manner was ruled as homicide.

A toxicology report revealed Lampinen had a blood-alcohol content of 0.097, and also had traces of marijuana and prescription medications in her system, according to Kantola.

Last to take the stand was FTPD Chief Gordon Warchock.

Warchock testified that he was en route to Marquette Township to interview the individual who made the 911 call the morning of the incident, but was redirected to Ishpeming after being advised Gutzman was reportedly inside a female’s residence.

Upon arrival, Warchock said he found Gutzman, ordered him to the ground and read him his Miranda rights.

“He admitted to killing Robbin Lampinen. He admitted that he stabbed her and he advised that he would admit it in a court of law,” Warchock testified, adding that the admission was filmed and witnessed by four to five officers on scene.

Gutzman also reportedly advised Warchock the knife allegedly used in the stabbing was hidden in the cushion of a nearby couch. It matched the description provided by Kantola.

“It was exactly where he told me it would be,” Warchock said.

Defense Attorney Karl Numinen asked Warchock to confirm some other “spontaneous” statements Gutzman had reportedly made to him when being taken into custody.

“One of the things that he said to you was that he was stabbed in the cheek by Ms. Lampinen?” Numinen asked, to which Warchock replied “that’s true.”

“And after he got stabbed in the cheek, he went berserk?” Numinen asked, to which Warchock replied, “I believe that’s in the statement, yes.”

Numinen also questioned whether law enforcement had taken steps to determine if Gutzman was intoxicated at the time of the incident.

While Warchock said he appeared to be intoxicated, it was not officially determined through a blood test or PBT.

Judge Roger Kangas bound the case over to the Marquette County Circuit Court.

Gutzman was scheduled to appear for an arraignment at 10:30 a.m. April 7. He is lodged at the Marquette County Jail without bond.

Kelsie Thompson can be reached at 906-228-2500, ext. 206. Her email address is