Community

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Driving an issue

Dear Annie: My dear neighbor “Susie” and I attend the same exercise class twice a week. She wants to alternate who drives to the class, but neither she nor her husband is a good driver. He has vision problems and had an accident, and she is a nervous driver, as well as a nervous passenger, ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Book club to meet at library MARQUETTE — Once Upon A Crime, the Book Group for Mystery Lovers will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8 in the Dandelion Cottage Room at the Peter White Public Library to discuss “The Neruda Case” by Chilean author Roberto Ampuero. Neruda, who’s ill with ...

For God and country, or something like that

Dear Annie: I have witnessed a change in a local American Legion post over the past several years. I support and commend anyone who has served our country. Originally, these posts were established by veterans and run by elected veteran officers and veteran executive board members. These posts ...

Superior Pets

News from UPAWS How much difference can a year make? A big one, if you are the Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter. Last November, UPAWS had just announced the public phase of its capital campaign to build a new shelter. Having raised 50 percent of the total, ($1.8 million) through ...

Bulletin Board

Gordon Lightfoot Tribute Concert MARQUETTE — Enjoy a weeknight Gordon Lightfoot Tribute Concert with Jackie and Gary at the Peter White Public Library at 7 p.m. Thursday in the library’s community room. Jackie Davidson started music at the age of 15 as a church organist. After college, ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Traditional music jam to be held MARQUETTE — From 2-5 p.m. Saturday, the Peter White Public Library will host a traditional music jam in the library’s community room. Bring a guitar, banjo, fiddle, bass, ukulele, harmonica, or just your voice, and join other acoustic musicians and ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Bulletin Board

Sci-Fi on Tap to be held Wednesday MARQUETTE — At 7 p.m. Wednesday, the Peter White Public Library will be hosting a meeting of its book club, Sci-Fi on Tap, at the Ore Dock Brewing Company. In “Oryx and Crake,” Margaret Atwood explores the catastrophic results of social inequality, ...

Husband drops massive bombshell after 60 years

Dear Annie: If anyone could ever die of a broken heart, it would be me at 77. I have been a faithful, loyal wife for 60 years. My husband, whom I’ve always thought was wonderful, and I have always been godly people. We’ve gone to church and helped our neighbors often. He had chest pains ...

New at Peter White Public Library

If Halloween has put you in the mood for books that offer suspense, thrills and chills, or just good old-fashioned murder and mayhem, here are a few terrifying titles currently shelved in Peter White Public Library’s New Teen section. “The Wrong Train” by British author Jeremy de Quidt, ...

The calendar

One’s prime focus should be on faith and not fear

Medical waiting rooms provide interesting encounters. Hurting and sometimes fearful people are prime prospects for encouraging words and are often receptive to invitations to faith. Occasionally, there’s even a memorable article in one of the magazines provided for impatient patients that ...

NMU ensemble concert planned

MARQUETTE — The Northern Michigan University Percussion Ensemble, under the direction of James A. Strain, will present its fall chamber music concert. The performance will be held at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in Reynolds Recital Hall. There is no admission charge. The ensemble is composed of ...

Blood drives set in UP communities

MARQUETTE — The U.P. Regional Blood Center, a service of UP Health Systems-Marquette has announced its upcoming blood drives throughout the Upper Peninsula. All times are local. ≤ Sunday at St. Michael’s Church, Marquette, from 9 a.m.-noon with the bloodmobile. For an appointment call ...

Class of ‘63 reunion lunch on tap

NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee and St. Paul Class of 1963 will be having a reunion lunch at noon on Monday, Nov. 6 in Immanuel Lutheran’s Fellowship Hall. Hot turkey and mashed potato with gravy sandwiches with pumpkin pie for dessert is on the menu. Make reservations by contacting Foo at ...

YMCA exercise class starting

MARQUETTE — Maximize your muscle strength through functionally challenging movements and exercises. This class at the Marquette YMCA will incorporate plyometric and agility training with strength and corework. It will be on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9-9:45 a.m. starting Monday ...

After school fit club to begin

MARQUETTE — The Y is the starting point for many youth to learn about becoming and staying active, and developing healthy habits they’ll carry with them throughout their lives. Giving children the opportunity to participate in regular physical activity and to learn about healthy ...