Community

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Grace community meal tonight GWINN — Grace Lutheran Church in Gwinn will serve a free community dinner from 5:30-6:15 tonight. A homemade lasagna dinner will be served. All are welcome. The handicap-accessible church is located at 558 W. M-35 in Gwinn. For more information, call the ...

Dear Annie: New neighbors are proving to be significant challenge

Dear Annie: We have some new neighbors, and our backyards are adjoining. We enjoy sitting out on our deck on nice evenings and enjoying the weather with a drink and snack. Sometimes friends stop by. We are quiet and aren’t out late. Our neighbors have several young children, and they are ...

The calendar

MooseWood to hold fundraiser

MARQUETTE — MooseWood Nature Center will benefit from a Food Fund Raiser at Hudson’s Classic Grill & Bar on Sept. 20. Participants will have dinner at Hudson’s Classic Grill and Bar in Marquette any time between 4-9 p.m. to help support MooseWood Nature Center. When participants ...

ATV/UTV benefit ride scheduled

MARQUETTE — On Sept. 30, the Hiawathaland Snowmobile Club will hold an ATV / UTV ride to benefit local veterans. The ride will start at the Snowmobile Club house at 408 M-553 at 10 a.m. and will continue until about 2 p.m. All ATV / UTV riders are invited to come and support veterans. The ...

The calendar

Ghost of an ex past

Dear Annie: My first serious boyfriend was rude, was crude and lacked compassion. My family members were very unhappy the entire time we were together, but they held their tongues out of respect for my judgment. The three-year relationship ended, and I admitted to my family members that I had ...

NMU prof ranked in top 10

MARQUETTE — Nick Griewahn, a Technology and Occupational Sciences professor at Northern Michigan University, is one of the top 10 air conditioning and refrigeration instructors in the nation, according to HVACClasses.org. Griewahn teaches courses such as principles of air delivery systems ...

MIIM to host Civil War presentation

NEGAUNEE — The Michigan Iron Industry Museum, 73 Forge Road, Negaunee, will host “Iron Ore and the Civil War” Sept. 28-30 from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. School groups will be at the museum Sept. 28 and 29, while the general public is welcome Sept. 30. Set up at the museum will be a Civil ...

Retired Gwinn employees to meet

GWINN — Retired teachers, other personnel from Gwinn Area Community Schools, along with guests, will meet at the Crossroads Restaurant and Lounge at noon Tuesday.

Bulletin Board

‘Family to Family’ education course MARQUETTE — Family members of individuals diagnosed with a mental illness may greatly benefit from a 12-week “Family to Family” education course to be offered by National Alliance on Mental Illness Alger/Marquette. The 12-week series of classes ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

23rd annual Youth Day on Sept. 9 NEGAUNEE — The Ishpeming-Negaunee-NICE Community Education Division is taking registrations for the annual Youth Day sponsored by the U.P. Whitetails Association of Marquette County and the Negaunee Rod and Gun Club. This event is free to all youths ages ...

Who let the dogs in?

Dear Annie: After 30 years of living with my wife and her dogs, we divorced 10 years ago. We never assumed that our pets were welcome where ever we were. When we went to visit, we left our dogs at home. Or if we were going for an overnight visit, we boarded them at our veterinary’s facility. ...

The calendar

New at Peter White Public Library

The Peter White Public Library has started a new book club: Sci-Fi on Tap. It meets the third Wednesday of every month at 7 p.m. in the Ore Dock’s tap room. Join us to discuss some classics and check out what’s new in PWPL’s science fiction section. Convergence by C.J. Cherryh is the ...

Gathering is beneficial to minister

Earlier this month I had the opportunity to attend the first ever Evangelical Lutheran Church in American Rostered Leaders Gathering in Atlanta. There were about 900 of us ordained ministers gathered between two Sundays for a few days to worship, learn, talk and encourage one another. Since ...