Community

The Motley Fool

ASK THE FOOL Risky Margin Q: What is buying stocks "on margin"? -- A.J., Santa Maria, California A: It's when you invest with money borrowed from your brokerage -- and pay interest on the loan. Margin's appeal is that it will turbocharge your gains -- but it also turbocharges your ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Looking for cozy activities on cold winter days? The new shelf at the Peter White Public Library is filled with stories to read-aloud as a family or enjoy by yourself. Do you have a Star Wars obsessed family member? Stop by and grab “Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know” by ...

Stealthy waitress steals tip

Dear Annie: I had a problem that I have not seen in your column. My family and I were out of town and having lunch at a lovely botanical garden in a nearby city. A sweet young waitress brought some of our orders and was assigned to our table, although she did not take our orders, as they have a ...

Bulletin Board

Beads, Rings & Datable Things MARQUETTE — The Marquette Regional History Center presents: Beads, Rings & Datable Things - GLO #3 Site, from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday. Jim Paquette will be presenting the program. During this program, he will offer information on the recent GLO#3 site ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin board

Rotary pancake breakfast Sunday MARQUETTE — The Rotary Club of Marquette’s annual Pancake Breakfast is from 9 a.m. to noon Sunday at the Marquette Masonic Center. Tickets are $7 and are available from any Rotary member or at the door. ‘Raising Bertie’ to be screened MARQUETTE — ...

Winter’s finger still holding the gate shut

“While it is February one can taste the full joys of anticipation. Spring stands at the gate with her finger on the latch.” - Patience Strong There has been an increase in the number of owls appearing near homes in Marquette recently. Owls occasionally hang around homes with bird ...

Boyfriend’s best friend forever making it uncomfortable

Dear Annie: I am either in a predicament or being overly sensitive, and I trust you to tell me the truth either way. I am in my 40s and in what I thought was a very healthy relationship with a stable, responsible man who has a very good job, “Luke.” I’ve never been in this type of ...

The calendar

Bulletin board

Civil War group to meet MARQUETTE — The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War Camp #266 will hold it bi-monthly meeting at 1 p.m. Saturday in the board room on the lower level of the DJ Jacobetti Home for Veterans at 425 Fisher St. in Marquette. The group is exploring whether there is ...

Aw, you should have

Dear Annie: My boyfriend and I have been together for three years. Everything is going well between us, and he’s a sweet and thoughtful guy in general. But he didn’t get me a present or card for Christmas, and it’s been bothering me the past few weeks, though I’ve tried to just move on. ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: Just a touch

Dear Annie: In this new (and long-overdue) era of “#MeToo,” I’m wondering: Is it always inappropriate to lightly the touch the arm of an opposite-sex acquaintance during a casual conversation? I’m not talking about prolonged or repeated touches. I just mean a spontaneous and quick ...

Bulletin Board

K of C fundraiser planned MARQUETTE — The Knights of Columbus of Marquette will hold their annual All-You-Care-to-Eat Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser for the Care Clinic of Marquette on Saturday, Feb. 3 at St Peter Cathedral hall. Serving will be from 4:30-7 p.m. and includes ...

Bollywood tickets on sale

MARQUETTE — Tickets for the 15th Annual Bollywood night are now on sale at Peter White Public Library’s Circulation Desk. Visit or call 906-226-4332. Bollywood is at 6 p.m. Saturday in the library’s Community Room. Doors open at 5:30. The evening consists of a Bollywood film, Dangal, ...