Community

Pro make-up artist to demonstrate

MARQUETTE — Professional make-up artist Dan Choszczyk will be presenting a demonstration on theatrical make-up at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Marquette Arts and Culture Center. With more than 30 years experience, he primarily uses his talents in live theatrical productions. His specialty is in ...

Bulletin Board

RN training online through NMU MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University will launch a fully online version of its accredited academic program that enables registered nurses to enhance their career goals by earning a bachelor’s degree. The RN to BSN program will combine interactive ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Fidelity is lacking

Dear Annie: My wife and I have been together for 20 years and married for four. We have three kids. In the beginning of our relationship, it was bad — and the bad all came from me. I cheated on her and hurt her. She stayed by my side, and that’s when I realized that I have a wonderful ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Bethel Baptist holding conference MARQUETTE — Bethel Baptist Church 829 Grove St., Marquette, will be holding a missions conference from 3-8 pm, Saturday at the church. Sunday, Oct. 15 will feature usual church services but they will have a missions focus. During the conference, ...

Leaving the nest hard for son

Dear Annie: I need your advice. My very musically gifted high school senior appears to want to go to college and major in music performance. But he is refusing to visit colleges. He won’t discuss why; he just gets very belligerent when the subject comes up and won’t expand on any reasons. ...

Bulletin Board

Programming club to meet MARQUETTE — Coder Dojo 906, a community-based programming club for young people, is offering coding classes through Northern Michigan University’s Seaborg Center. The remaining dates for the fall semester are at 4-6 p.m. on the following Wednesdays; Oct. 11, Oct. ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: ‘Just kidding,’ 35 years later

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been married for more than 40 years. During the first five years of our marriage, he confessed to several instances of infidelity. He begged for forgiveness. I forgave him. Well, recently, I found out he was lying and never actually had slept with other ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

SERA deadline is Saturday MARQUETTE — The Lake Superior SERA’s October speaker is Michigan Civil Service Director of Benefits. The retiree group will host a luncheon at the Marquette Holiday Inn at noon on Wednesday, Oct. 18. Reservations from any state retiree or SERA member will be ...

Superior Pets

News from UPAWS Through the hard work of staff and volunteers, and the commitment and dedication of our friends and neighbors, the Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter has raised $2.47 million toward our $3.7 million Imagine the PAWSibilities Campaign for a new shelter. UPAWS is getting ...

Bulletin Board

Acharya to talk breast cancer MARQUETTE — About one in eight women (12 percent) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lifetime. In 2017, an estimated 252,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in US women, along with 64,000 new cases of ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

UPAWS gala planned for Friday MARQUETTE — Cause for Paws Annual Gala is one of the Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter’s biggest fundraisers of the year. It celebrates the bond between people and their pets, and supports the local no-kill shelter at the same time. This year’s ...

Bulletin Board

Tasty Reads group to gather MARQUETTE — Tasty Reads, a book group for readers who like to cook, will focus on “A Thousand Days in Venice: An Unexpected Romance” by Marlena de Blasi at its noon Tuesday meeting in the Peter White Public Library’s Shiras Room. Marlena is a divorced ...

When love declines, think of other partner, their needs

The two sitting across the desk from me were not young lovers; they were approaching sixty. But they had the same stars in their eyes that I have seen so many times in those much younger. It was evident that they were deeply in love and we had met that night to plan their wedding. Turning to ...

Annoying kid terrorizes flight

Dear Annie: I recently was on a short flight. A young couple and their two children were seated behind me. One was 11 months old; the other was 2 years old. I am a mother of three and grandmother of six; I love kids and don't consider myself a grouch. However, I just like to sit quietly in my ...

Bulletin Board

Bingo back in Little Lake LITTLE LAKE — Sunday Bingo has resumed at American Legion Post 349 in Little Lake. Early birds are at 1:30 p.m. and the regular session begins at 2 p.m. Also Tuesday bingo is back. Early birds are at 6:30 p.m. and the regular session starts at 7 p.m. There ...