Community

Superior Pets

News from UPAWS The Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter is a part of the movement in redefining the shelter as a beacon of hope, a place where the environment contributes to successful adoption rates AND a place that engages the animal-loving community for a PAWSitive impact. The Upper ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

‘Rogue One’ to be screened MARQUETTE — At 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 18, the Peter White Public Library will show “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” in the library’s community room as part of its Matinee Movie series. Those attending are invited to bring lunch and enjoy the movie in a ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Chancellors Quartet to perform IRON RIVER — At 7 p.m. CDT Sunday, July 16, The Chancellors Quartet, will join Iron County residents and people from various surrounding areas for a concert at Grace Covenant Church in Iron River. This is the first concert in the church’s Summer Concert ...

Bulletin Board continued

Danna Banana to hold concert MARQUETTE — As a special surprise, the Peter White Public Library Youth Services announces that songwriter/singer/entertainer Danna Banana will be performing a concert for families and kids in the community room at 10:45 a.m. July 17. Danna Banana has earned a ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Sisters’ lifelong rivalry escalates into silence

DEAR ABBY: Our daughters aren’t speaking. One says she really doesn’t “like” the other. These are mature women who have had their differences throughout their lives. But they have tolerated each other, one more than the other. The older one claims her sister posted not-so-nice things ...

Essential oils considered medicine?

DEAR DR. ROACH: In a recent column, you discussed an antihistamine and montelukast for allergies. We use pure essential oil. Lavender is better than drugs. — J.O.S. ANSWER: I consider any substance that is taken to relieve a medical symptom or to cure or prevent a disease to be medication, ...

Travel tips, tricks and hacks

I love to travel, which has become one the best unintended consequences of my life as a writer, speaker and blogger. Travel always involves challenges. That’s why I have adopted an attitude that no matter how well I’ve planned, if something can go wrong, it probably will. And if it ...

Save me from the credit card hounding!

Dear Readers: Today’s SOUND OFF is about stores that hound us to open a credit card account with them: “Dear Heloise: I absolutely hate it when I go shopping and the salespeople pester me about opening an account with them. I don’t want credit card debt. In fact, I don’t want any debt, ...

The calendar

New at Peter White Public Library

Look for a great selection of memoirs on the library shelves. Some are written by celebrities, while others are the product of ordinary people who have taken extraordinary life journeys. Check out the latest titles in the New Non-fiction section on the main floor. “CANADA” by Mike Meyers ...

Mother-in-law quick to disown

Dear Annie: I was married to a man for 15 years and grew very close to his parents. I developed a particularly close relationship with his mom. After my husband and I divorced, I remained close to her, which I was happy to do, especially because she is my son’s grandmother. My son and I ...

Bulletin Board

Papa Crow to perform Wednesday MARQUETTE — Papa Crow, local musician, will be back at the Peter White Public Library for a free, family oriented, concert in the community room at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday. Papa Crow’s CD “Things That Roar” has been awarded a Parents’ Choice Silver ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ MARQUETTE — UP Shakes will present Tennessee Williams’ “A Streetcar Named Desire” at Ore Dock Brewing Company at 7:30 p.m. July 16, 19, 23, 25, and 30. Anyone familiar with the play on stage or screen can expect a very different experience this time ...

What’s flying: Enjoy the beauty of summer, nature

“Summer is the annual permission slip to be lazy. To do nothing and have it count for something. To lie in the grass and count the stars. To sit on a branch and study the clouds.” — Regina Brett Summer is the time most people find at least a few moments to squeeze in a picnic, a trip ...

The calendar