Community

The calendar

­EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to ...

Fresh snow brings changes to U.P. woods

“Melancholy were the sounds on a winter's night.” ― Virginia Woolf More howling winds, lone hoots of great horned owls and bare branches rubbing against each other have created a new evening concerto to serenade those outdoors. Sounds with spirit, but not really melancholy here in the ...

Book discussion at PWPL

MARQUETTE — Join “And Here: 100 Years of Upper Peninsula Writing 1917-2017” contributing authors Gordon Henry and Sally R. Brunk for a discussion about their book moderated by Leora L. Lancaster at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room. This anthology of ...

He has hatred and disgust for stepson

Dear Annie: I am a 42-year-old man with two teenage sons. I have been married to my second wife for almost a year. She has an 11-year-old son, “Brice.” Brice never had a man in his life until I married his mom. He is respectful and a sweet kid, but for some reason, I hate him. I know that ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin board

NPL group to have holiday party NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee Public Library Junior Teen Advisory Group is holding a holiday party for local children at 2:30 p.m. Saturday in the library. Children ages 5-15 years are welcome to attend, make crafts, play board games, and enjoy peanut-aware ...

Help yourself

Dear Annie: I’m at my wits’ end dealing with my friend’s glum, woe-is-me attitude. I’ve known “Max” since we worked together at a restaurant when I was in college. He was in his early 20s and had grown up in the town. He said he regretted not getting a bachelor’s degree. As we ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin board

Westwood Mall hosting UPAWS store MARQUETTE — The Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter’s Holiday Store is open at the Westwood Mall in Marquette Township. UPAWS is in the former Jandron’s II space with a lot more room, there are a lot of UPAWS “logo gear” for sale in lots of new ...

We planned on eating that

Dear Annie: At the recent Thanksgiving celebration, I was again faced with a situation that has bothered me for some time now. We take turns in my family hosting a holiday. This year, it was my turn to host Thanksgiving. I truly love cooking for this feast. Everyone brings a dish, and I ...

The calendar

Bulletin board

Trout Unlimited chapter to meet MARQUETTE — The Fred Waara Chapter of Trout Unlimited will hold its monthly board meeting at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Board Room at The Landmark Inn, Marquette. All who are interested in cold water fisheries and conservation are invited to attend. NMU ...

Co-ed sleepovers?

Dear Annie: Our daughter, husband and family moved in to a small house next door to us as they both work, and their living close to us enables us to keep an eye out for their three daughters, ages 11, 11 and 15. Until they get two bedrooms built on the cottage, the 15-year-old and one of the ...

The calendar

Bulletin board

Negaunee Male Chorus concert set NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee Male Chorus will present “Waiting For Christmas” in its concert at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Negaunee High School auditorium. Tickets are $10 general admission and $5 for children ages 4-10. Tickets are available from any chorus ...

Friend or tenant

Dear Annie: My friend bought a condo in Florida. She wants me to come stay for a week while she is there but thinks she needs to charge me $350 to stay with her. Why would a friend need to charge you if she is there, too? If I chip in for some food, what am I paying $350 for? Is this fair? — ...

Bulletin Board

‘Passengers’ screening Thursday MARQUETTE — At 12:30 p.m. Thursday, the Peter White Public Library will show the 2016 film “Passengers” in the library’s community room as part of its Matinee Movie series. Bring a lunch and enjoy the movie in a dinner theater setting. Closed ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Dobson to offer demonstrations MARQUETTE — At the upcoming Christmas Craft Show at the Superior Dome in Marquette, Robert Dobson will be giving laptop demonstrations of historical items of the western Marquette area to all who wish to look up family names, or any other historical items found ...