Community

Bulletin Board

‘LGBTQIA: Support and Understanding’ MARQUETTE — On Monday, the Peter White Public Library will present the talk “LGBTQIA: Support and Understanding” at 7 p.m. in the library’s Shiras room as part of its Building Love: Imagine series of events. Speaker PJ Stephens moved to ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 9:30am Worship Child care available. The ...

All the bouquets should be sent upstairs, please

Dr. Kenneth Wuest, who taught Greek, was my favorite college professor because he always brought something beyond the day’s lesson to the classroom to inspire his students; some insight that could change the day and leave a lasting and enlightening impression. He called these day brighteners ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin board

NAMI to offer education course MARQUETTE — Family members of individuals diagnosed with a mental illness may greatly benefit from a 12-week “Family to Family” education course to be offered by National Alliance on Mental Illness Alger/Marquette. The 12-week series of classes is free ...

As days grow longer, winter’s end in sight

"The February sunshine steeps your boughs and tints the leaves within. " - William C. Bryant All the residents and visitors are finding extremely cold conditions in the Upper Peninsula. It is not a case of double digit, below zero temperatures, but still cold enough to be a challenge to ...

Always take time to appreciate our nation’s veterans

Dear Annie: In the past year, the Department of Veterans Affairs has tackled many issues for our veterans, and we are proud to participate in the largest transformation of VA in recent history. Our volunteers and community partners form a large part of this effort, allowing us to bring ...

No news is good news

Dear Annie: I’m suffering from what I call vigilance fatigue. The state of our government’s affairs may never have been worse, and I’m trying to stay on top of it all, but it’s exhausting. I do want to stay informed, but I find that every moment I’m not working or spending time with ...

New at Peter White Public Library

The Peter White Public Library is offering up a number of recently added DVDs. Also, if you want to experience a show of a different kind, winter can be a great time to view the cosmos. Not only is it dark for longer, but the dry, cold air offers a clear view through the atmosphere. The ...

The calendar

Bulletin board

Legion fish fry Friday MARQUETTE — The American Legion Post 44, 700 W. Bluff St., Marquette, will have fish fry from 5-7 p.m. Friday. On the menu will be a choice of whitefish, shrimp or chicken strips with either a baked potato or french fries. Salad bar is included with all meals. This ...

Cut the chitchat

Dear Annie: I recently went to see my doctor about some troublesome symptoms I had been experiencing, and the entire time he was examining me, he kept up a running monologue about the holidays and politics and other assorted topics. I responded as necessary, but mostly I found myself wondering ...

The calendar

Bulletin board

UPCM Valentines party announced MARQUETTE — Upper Peninsula Children’s Museum’s Second Thursday Creativity Series will feature a Valentine’s Party this month. From 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursday, there will be crafts, free Culver’s Frozen Custard, music, and more. Wearing costumes is ...

Welcome to our humble abode

Dear Annie: I’m hoping you can settle a little disagreement between my 16-year-old daughter and me. The two of us live together in a modest home, which I am proud of. It is nothing special, but I work hard to keep it neat and organized. When we have company, I am very welcoming and ask our ...

Salt still de-icing standard but other choices being found

Although it’s unclear just how well any of the alternatives work, it’s apparent that road commissions and departments of public works across the country are becoming increasingly creative in what they use to de-ice roadways. The forever standard, of course, is salt, typically ground ...

Bulletin board

FRT’s Black Box performances set MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University’s Forest Roberts Theatre is presenting its third annual Fringe Festival Thursday through Saturday and Feb. 15-17 in the Panowski Black Box Theatre. Three different theatrical pieces performed, produced and ...

The calendar

Gift guilt

Dear Annie: It was a wonderful Christmas season. However, I’m finding myself more guilt-ridden than ever. Here’s why: My wife and I are “gifters.” We like to think of all the people in our lives whom we can think of — near, far, wherever they are — and try to give them something. ...