Community

NMU Lighting Up the Holidays

MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University will host its 30th annual Lighting Up the Holidays, a free kick off to the season for NMU families, students and community members. It will take place from 4-8 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 29, in the Don H. Bottum University Center on campus. The event ...

Career choices perplex

Dear Annie: For the past year, I have been working as a licensed nursing assistant, taking care of residents. I love the patients, and I’ve gotten very close to them. But the facility administration itself doesn’t work with employees to meet their needs. I have requested to work morning ...

His day in court

“If men were angels, no government would be necessary,” James Madison argued in Federalist 51. But he went on to say, “If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over ...

Bulletin Board

Interfaith evening set for Tuesday MARQUETTE — The Marquette Interfaith Forum presents its annual Interfaith Evening of Thanks at 7 p.m. Tuesday. The event will be hosted by the Marquette Unitarian Universalist Congregation this year at 1510 M-28 in Chocolay Township. The service will ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Bluesday Jam Session planned MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library and the Marquette Area Blues Society invite music lovers to a Blues Jam Session at 7 p.m. Nov. 28 in the Peter White Public Library’s community room, part of the monthly Bluesday Tuesday series. Bring your voice, ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Bulletin Board

Puppets on parade in Curtis CURTIS — The “Puppets on Parade” exhibit is comprised of puppets made at the very beginning of the Erickson Center for the Performing Arts’ involvement with this art in 2002, to recently made puppets. This exhibit, featuring more than 20 handmade puppets, ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Marquette has two Sister Cities: Higashiomi, Japan and Kajaani, Finland. As a supporter of the Marquette Area Sister Cities Partnership, the Peter White Public Library maintains the Sister Cities Room. This room is located on the main floor of the 1903 building and houses gifts from ...

Guest has wedding blues

Dear Annie: I recently attended a couple of weddings that left me baffled. The custom of most weddings in the Midwest is for the wedding couple and their wedding party to hire a limo, party bus or some other method of transportation to take the whole group around to various bars after the ...

Compassion proves we care

In his article, “Voice of Compassion,” well known author and speaker Steve Goodier describes a bitterly cold January, 1935 night in New York City when then Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia dismissed a judge in the city’s poorest ward and presided over night court himself. Goodier says the first ...

The calendar

November a great month for spotting unusual birds

“They are all gone into the world of light, and I alone sit lingering here.” - Henry Vaughan As the shortest days of the season draw ever nearer, the feeling seems to be the leaves, birds, and greenery of recent days has gone away, fleetingly. It seemed most ironic that after a ...

Bulletin board

Deadline for bazaar booths set BIG BAY — Community Presbyterian Church presents Christmas in Big Bay from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 25. The event will be at 312 Bensinger St. Vendors can still rent table/display areas. Call 345-9225 no later than Saturday to reserve a spot. This Christmas ...

Soft-hearted brother duped by con man

Dear Annie: My brother-in-law, “Tom,” is 70 years old and a totally disabled Navy veteran. He has been duped by a con man, “Mack.” Mack lived upstairs from Tom in an apartment building. Mack started a friendship with Tom, doing errands for him and otherwise helping him. Tom trusted ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 10:00am Worship Child care available. The ...

The calendar

Bulletin board

Emanuel bazaar Saturday SKANDIA — Emanuel Lutheran Church of Skandia, 9812 U.S. 41, invites everyone to its annual Holiday Bazaar and Quilt Sale, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. A homemade soup and sandwich luncheon will be served. Caradmom bread, jams, jellies, baked goods, holiday ...