Community

When spending is a massive problem, learn to put yourself on an allowance

It used to be that when I felt broke, I chased away the horrible feeling by leaning on my bevy of credit cards. As long as I could spend money, it felt like I had money. And the more I used my credit cards to prove to myself that I wasn’t really broke, the more debt I accumulated. Finally, I ...

Closing the door on all those ads

Dear Readers: Today’s SOUND OFF is about too many junk flyers: “Dear Heloise: I want people to please stop leaving ads for various restaurants, child care, lawn and tree-trimming services, religious information and all the other info. It’s stuffed in my door, left on the porch or, more ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

“KNIFE CREEK” by Paul Doiron When Maine game warden, Mike Bowditch, is tasked with shooting invasive feral hogs that are tearing up the forest in his district, he makes a horrific discovery — a dead baby buried in a shallow grave. Even more disturbing is evidence that suggests the ...

How to deal with hostile parent

Dear Annie: My father was always a good financial provider to our family when I was growing up. Beyond that, he showed us little affection. He is now 69 years old and has had some health issues over the past few years. My parents recently moved to be closer to me, and I have found that with ...

Tickets available for fashion show

ISHPEMING — Tickets are now on sale for the Ishpeming Carnegie Friends of the Library’s Tea & Fashion Show which is set for Saturday, Oct. 14 at Bethany Lutheran Church, 715 Mather Ave., Ishpeming. Ruth Warner from the Crock & Rocker will be on hand, presenting fall and holiday ...

Y programs start Monday

MARQUETTE — The Y of Marquette County offers a variety of opportunity for children and teens to learn, grow and thrive during its upcoming programs session. Not only does the Y offer programs ranging from gymnastics to lacrosse but it provides an environment where kids can build ...

LSAA to begin new season

MARQUETTE — Lake Superior Art Association kicks off its new season of programs with a Meet and Greet at 7 p.m. Tuesday. The group will meet in the Marquette Arts and Culture Center on the lower level of Peter White Public Library. Members and guests are invited to bring a piece of their ...

Get ready for fall produce at this week’s farmers market

MARQUETTE — Fresh seasonal produce is coming to the Downtown Marquette Farmers Market Saturday as the fall equinox approaches. According to Myra Zyburt, market manager, there will be an “abundance of local fresh food and unique homemade artisan goods” at this week’s farmers market. ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Cemetery tour set for Sept. 24 NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee Historical Society will be presenting its annual cemetery tour on a different date than originally announced. The event is now scheduled for 1 p.m. Sept. 24. The grave sites are located on the Catholic side this year and in the ...

Dear Annie: In the middle of a feud

Dear Annie: Last summer, my granddaughter “Emily” got married. Her mother, “Angie” (my daughter), lives in the same town as Emily and said I could stay with her while I was in town. About a week before the wedding, Angie and Emily had a big falling-out. Emily told me she wasn’t ...

What’s flying: Summer arrives not a minute too late

“Each day the sun shone, the birds lingered, though the trees were turning, purely out of habit, and their rose and yellow and rust looked strange and beautiful above the brilliant green grass.” - Elizabeth Enright Summer, glorious summer. It finally arrived, and not a minute too late! ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: Miscarriage etiquette

Dear Annie: My sister had a miscarriage this week, and I’m at a bit of a loss. I want to support her but fear that I am putting too much of a focus on it. I’m not sure whether I’m expecting a certain type of response unfairly from her — sadness, anger, frustration — but she seems to ...

Strut Your Mutt set for Saturday

MARQUETTE — The Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter’s Strut Your Mutt Charity Walk will celebrate its 12th anniversary this year. The event is set for 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at Mattson Lower Harbor Park in Marquette. It’s an event for four- and two-legged participants of all ages. ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

‘Get Out’ screening held Tuesday MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites film fans to enjoy a bring your own dinner movie event at 6 p.m. Tuesday for a screening of the 2017 film “Get Out” in the library’s community room. African-American Chris is meeting his white ...

The calendar