Community

Bulletin board

Repair cafe to be open Saturday MARQUETTE — The Transition Marquette County Repair Cafe will be open on from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday to handle repairs people bring from home. Repair tools are set up in the Marquette Arts and Culture Center in the basement of Peter White Public Library. ...

Tracking down the U.P.’s winter guests

“It is in midwinter that I sometimes glean from my pines... a curious transfusion of courage.” - Aldo Leopold There is a strength that comes knowing spring is on its way. It is a feeling growing inside winter's residents. Days stretching out longer and longer with the sun’s higher sky ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Retirement comes with bang and unexpected issues

Dear Annie: I am a 67-year-old man who has extreme seller’s remorse and have slipped into depression from selling my business two years ago. The reason I am writing is to caution the 10,000 baby boomers a day who are turning 65. After retiring, I was caught completely off guard by the fact ...

Ishpeming Middle School announces honor roll

Quarter 2 Honor Roll *Indicates All A’s 5th Grade Mason Bancroft Angelica Barry * Patience Chapman Andrea Choudhry Ansley Cieslinski Journey Comment Ethan Corp Arowen Donner Jayden Featherstone* Olivia Gartner Annah Giraud Joseph Giroux* Aubrey Gracyalny Ian ...

Bulletin Board

Author Rebecca Tervo holds talk MARQUETTE — At 7 p.m. Tuesday, Rebecca Tervo, author of “Shattered: From Grief to Joy After My Son’s Suicide,” will give a talk on Moving Forward After Loss in the Peter White Public Library’s Shiras Room. For Rebecca Tervo, life was going well, at ...

The kids aren’t all right

Dear Annie: I have been married to my husband for 11 years. He has three grown children, all gainfully employed, who live in distant cities. We live in the large house his children grew up in. Two of the children are married with young kids. The problem is that at least twice a year, his kids ...

New at Peter White Public Library

This week there has been a lot of love and romance in the air. Now is the time to sit down with a romance novel and munch on those Valentine’s Day chocolates your significant other bought you. Cathy Maxwell’s “If Ever I Should Love You” might tickle your fancy. An Earl with virtually ...

World is smaller; how will we treat new ‘neighbors?’

Arlene and I took our children to Disney World when our youngest daughter was almost too young to appreciate the shimmering attractions of that place. But one was not too scary: a slow boat ride though tiny replicas of the world’s famous cultural sites, while being serenaded by choirs of ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 9:30am Worship Child care available. The ...

The Calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie/Leftovers thief

Dear Annie: I have had this issue with a certain family member, and I am hoping you can advise me on what to do. When the family of one of our sons visits and eats dinner at our house, his wife cleans up afterward, which is appreciated, but the problem is that she takes 90 percent of the food ...

UPCM race warm up party planned

MARQUETTE — Upper Peninsula Children’s Museum will have a U.P. 200 Family Warm-up party from 5-7 p.m. Friday. People are invited to go to the UPCM to get ready for the big start of the U.P. 200. There will be a slice of pizza and a cookie for $1, plus hot chocolate and plenty of sled ...

Howling good time Saturday

MARQUETTE — Museum After Dark: A Howling Good Time will be offered from 7-9:30 p.m. Saturday. The Museum After Dark is in deep winter this year. On sled dog weekend, it will go to the dogs and their ancestors with the after-dark adventure. Enjoy special guests, activities, games, ...

Church Lent events listed

NEGAUNEE — Immanuel Lutheran Church will have events on Saturdays and Wednesdays during Lent. On Saturday mornings, there will be a men’s prayer breakfast at the church at 8:30 a.m. Along with breakfast there will be a study of the gospel text for the following Sunday. Immanuel will be ...

Music jam on tap at PWPL

MARQUETTE — From 2-5 p.m. Saturday, the Peter White Public Library in Marquette will host a traditional music jam in the library’s Community Room. Bring a guitar, banjo, fiddle, bass, ukulele, harmonica, or just your voice, and join other acoustic musicians and vocalists for a community ...

Mineral collection to be displayed

ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming Rock and Mineral Club will be meeting at 1:30 p.m. Sunday at the Cliffs Shaft Mine Museum, 501 W. Euclid St., Ishpeming. Doors will open at 1 p.m. to allow visitors time to view the club’s extensive mineral collection. Dale Thomas, production geologist from the ...

The calendar

Dear Annie/Hubby addicted to computer game

Dear Annie: Ever since “Pokemon Go” came out, my husband has been spending a lot of time playing it. Sometimes he’s out for eight to 10 hours per day, including during the night, walking around and attempting to find Pokemon for the game. “M” is in his early 50s and has been a ...